1 2 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2017 10:42 AM by Intel Corporation

NUC6i7KYH Freezing during World of Warcraft (Mouse still moves)

JamesU

Hello,

I am adding myself to the list of folks experiencing weird freezes with their Skull Canyon NUCs.  In my case, the system freezes randomly while playing World of Warcraft.  When it freezes, the mouse still operates, and I can get the Task Manager to pop up, but I have no ability to kill tasks and ultimately have to hold down the power button to reset the machine.  I have tried both 'Reboot' and 'Shutdown' during these freezes as well, and while the system seems to try to shutdown, it can't.

Some Hardware items:

Micron 16ATF1G64HZ-2G1A2 (2*8GB Modules)

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD

Dell ST2420L Monitor with Dell AY511 Soundbar

I am running 1920 x 1080 resolution at 60 Hz.  I'm getting 90-95 FPS in the game - runs smooth.  I've watched the temps and I know the CPU is not therm-tripping.  I've even changed the BIOS setting to make the fan run sooner/system cooler and it had no effect.

Never saw the problem until we started stressing the system with World of Warcraft.  Using all the current BIOS and Drivers.  Win 10 fully updated to latest version.

Thanks

• 1. Re: NUC6i7KYH Freezing during World of Warcraft (Mouse still moves)
          pjred

This problem is starting to become more widespread (original thread NUC6i7KYK freezes but mouse still moves ), which now seems to rule out SSD and memory as it's happening with different configurations now.

Hopefully Intel can get there head around this one and a bios or driver update fixes it.

Otherwise there is a bad batch of machines or, as one poster suggested, a design or hardware problem.

• 2. Re: NUC6i7KYH Freezing during World of Warcraft (Mouse still moves)
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello JamesU,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

Is this Freezing problem happening only when you are paying the game or is also happening when you use the PC with other applications or when your browse the internet or something similar?

Was it working fine before or this is happening since the beginning?

If the freezing issue is only with the game, try different resolution and refresh rate, also make sure you are suing a high quality HDMI cable connected to the monitor.

Is it possible for you to reseat the RAM and the SSD to make sure they are seated correctly in the motherboard?

Is it possible for you to test different RAM or SSD? If not, that is understandable.

Please reply with your system information.

You can use the Intel SSU (System Support Utility) to get your system information https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility
            Download Intel® System Support Utility

1. Download the utility
            2. Run the exe and select ‘Scan’
            3. Save and include as an attachment in the Intel Community Forum

Please attach the Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers follow the steps here:
            http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005848.html

DxDiag Instructions:
            1. Click on the “Start Menu” -> Type “DxDiag” -> Press “Enter” -> Wait for the DirectX Diagnostic Tool to finish loading
            2. In the DirectX Diagnostic Tool, click “Save All Information” -> Save the file DxDiag.txt
            3. Include DxDiag.txt as an attachment in the Intel Community Forum

Msinfo 32 instructions:
            1. Please press Windows Key + R to open the Run Menu
            2. Type msinfo32 and click OK
            3. While viewing the System Summary node go to File then Save (Please do not use Export)
            4. Have your MSINFO32 report as msinfo32.nfo on your desktop for easy access and then you can post it here.

Regards,

Ivan.
            • 3. Re: NUC6i7KYH Freezing during World of Warcraft (Mouse still moves)
              Joe440

Hi,

I was experiencing the exact same situation today while playing World of Warcraft on my NUC6i7KYK.  I only get this freeze situation when I try to use this NUC while hooked up to one of my TV's.  When I play on my PC LED displays, WoW plays flawlessly and never freezes.  Just to sum up:

Playing WoW on 5 year old 27" Samsung 1920x1080 LED display:  flawless 60fps

Playing on Samsung 60" SUHDTV(UN60JS7000FXZA) TV:  frequent screen freezes 15fps

Playing on LG 42" 1080P LED TV:  Freezes, but less frequently than on the 60" SUHDTV 20fps

I'm connected with similar HDMI cables in all 3 of the scenarios above.

I have all of the latest drivers and BIOS installed

RAM:  1 16GB Crucial Ballistix BLS16G4S240FSD chip

Storage:  Crucial MX300 525GB CT525MX300SSD4

• 4. Re: NUC6i7KYH Freezing during World of Warcraft (Mouse still moves)
                MartyG

There have been past issues with using UHD TVs with NUCs, though the introduction of HDMI 2.0 on recent models should have gone some way towards reducing this issue.  This thread may be informative if you have not seen it already.

NUC7i3BNH and Samsung UE55KU6400 HDMI problems

Edit: this recent thread discusses a Samsung UHD too.

Skull Canyon HDMI colour issue.

• 5. Re: NUC6i7KYH Freezing during World of Warcraft (Mouse still moves)
                  Yozas2

Just jumping in to say that my NUC6i7KYK freezes exactly like this, and I am NOT using a HDMI cable, I am using DisplayPort. Have tried different cables, but nothing changed at all (not worse, nor better)

• 6. Re: NUC6i7KYH Freezing during World of Warcraft (Mouse still moves)
                    Lithorien

I'm also having this issue. Had it on Win 7 and Win 10. The only thing that appears to HELP is to completely disable shadows in-game (I have to do that to multiple games to get better stability). Generally stable after that point - though I need to restart the game after turning off shadows or it'll crash anyway.

HDMI cable straight from NUC to HP 2311x monitor. 1920x1080 @ graphics quality 7 (or 4) in-game. Problem disappears completely if using Razer Core w/GTX 960.

• 7. Re: NUC6i7KYH Freezing during World of Warcraft (Mouse still moves)
                      Intel Corporation

Hi all,

To better assist on this, would you please fill out the information at the following link?
                      https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761

To get your system information use the Intel SSU (System Support Utility) https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility:
                      Download Intel® System Support Utility

1. Download the utility
                      2. Run the exe and select ‘Scan’
                      3. Save and include as an attachment in the Intel Community Forum

Please attach the Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers follow the steps here:
                      http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005848.html

DxDiag Instructions:

1. Click on the “Start Menu” -> Type “DxDiag” -> Press “Enter” -> Wait for the DirectX Diagnostic Tool to finish loading
                      2. In the DirectX Diagnostic Tool, click “Save All Information” -> Save the file DxDiag.txt
                      3. Include DxDiag.txt as an attachment in the Intel Community Forum

Regards,

Ivan.

• 8. Re: NUC6i7KYH Freezing during World of Warcraft (Mouse still moves)
                        Dr.Justice

You state you're using the latest drivers and bios, but I thought I was too...

- Try updating all drivers using DriverEasy

- Bios 0042

- If not already using, try graphics driver 4590 came out like less than 2 weeks ago.

• 9. Re: NUC6i7KYH Freezing during World of Warcraft (Mouse still moves)
                          Intel Corporation

Thank you Dr.Justice for contributing on this post, JamesU I will appreciate if you could provide us the information requested above to better assist you.

Ivan.

• 10. Re: NUC6i7KYH Freezing during World of Warcraft (Mouse still moves)
                            Intel Corporation

Hello all,

Are you still experiencing this issue? If so, would you please fill out the information requested above to start an investigation.

In addition, I want to let you know that there is a new Beta driver that may want to try, you can download it here:
                            https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26604/Intel-Graphics-Driver-Beta-15-45-?product=88357

Best regards,

Ivan.

• 11. Re: NUC6i7KYH Freezing during World of Warcraft (Mouse still moves)
                              JamesU

OK, I have tried to complete the requested information/reports.

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

During the game World of Warcraft, the game can freeze.  The computer still seems alive, as the mouse movement can be seen and can be controlled.  Though keyboard input still seems possible, the Task Manager functions do not seem to work at this point, and the game processes cannot be stopped. The system must be rebooted by holding down the power button, until reset occurs.

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")

Always (100%):

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%): X - I would have to classify this as sporadic, occuring at least once during a 3 hour session, but sometimes as often as every hour.

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Intel NUC6i7KYK

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?
                              ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

No, Intel only

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below).
                              LFP
                              = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)
                              EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

Dell ST2420L

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

16GB

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.
                              ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

Currently using a very short, 2' Aurum HDMI cable from Amazon. Amazon.com: Aurum Ultra Series - High Speed HDMI Cable With Ethernet 5 PACK (2 Ft) - Supports 3D & Audio Return Channel …

Hardware Stepping (see note1 below).

Hardware IDs:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_193B&SUBSYS_20648086&REV_09

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_193B&SUBSYS_20648086

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_193B&CC_030000

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_193B&CC_0300

Software (SW)

Operating System version (see note2 below).

Windows 10 64bit (1607) fully updated to 3/5/17

VBIOS (video BIOS) version. This can be found in “information page” of CUI (right click on Desktop and select “Graphics Properties”.

Graphics Driver version; for both integrated Intel and 3rd party vendors (see note2 below).

SW or Apps version used to replicate the issue.

World of Warcraft Legion

Configurations

Single display, clone, or extended (see note2 below).

Single Display, freezing occurs in both Windowed and Full Screen modes

Display resolution & refresh rate setting of each display (see note2 below).

1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz

AC or DC mode, i.e. is power cable plugged in or not?

AC

How to repro

Please provide steps to replicate the issue.  These steps are very crucial to finding the root cause and fix.
                              A screenshot to illustrate the issue is a huge plus. A video of the failure is even better! Attach to the post or provide the YouTube link.

1. My only advice is to play the game.  I have not been able to find any connection as to when the freezes occur, as it is not time-based, or even situational based.  I cannot "make" the system do it, I just have to play, and eventually it happens.
                              2. I did try the suggestion of turning off shadows, but that did not seem to affect my freezing rates or failure rates.

I will try to attach the reports in separate, follow-up messages.

• 12. Re: NUC6i7KYH Freezing during World of Warcraft (Mouse still moves)
                                JamesU

Attachments:

Intel SSU Report in .XML format - SSU_Report.xml

Graphics Driver Report in TXT format

DxDiag Report in TXT format

Thanks

I will load the BETA Graphics driver today, to see if there are any differences/improvements.

• 13. Re: NUC6i7KYH Freezing during World of Warcraft (Mouse still moves)
                                  Intel Corporation

Thank you for the information, I really appreciate it!

Please let me know how it goes after you test the Beta driver

Best regards,

Ivan.

• 14. Re: NUC6i7KYH Freezing during World of Warcraft (Mouse still moves)
                                    Dr.Justice

Noticing the driver is 4542... those are very old drivers, and I was getting hangs until I got to 4590 (stable it seems).

Let us know if you're having issues with the new beta, I'm also interested.

1 2 Previous Next