4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2017 5:49 PM by Intel Corporation

Breaking RAID1 - Need specific instructions

rivbnk65

Greetings,

I've been all over the boards for the past couple of nights, looking for specific instructions & steps to take to break a RAID1. But there's so many different postings that it's hard to figure out the correct procedure. I'll specify what I have & need below. I'd really appreciate if specific instructions & steps could be provided, plus any additional info that you'd find helpful. A definitive 'How To' would be great or even a sticky.

CPU: i7 4770K Intel

System: Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Motherboard: Asus Z87-A

SSD: 250 GB with OS Windows 7

Hard Drives: Two identical 1000 GB SATA Hard Drives (WD7502ABYS), only for data and files, raid 1, mirror

RAID Config: RAID1 on SATA, using the RAID controller built into this motherboard, using bios

RAID Software: Maybe Intel

RAID option ??

Notes: I've never had any problems with the RAID, no errors, no rebuilds, no problems at all over the past 2 years.

Need correct way to  break raid and have this machine boot and the two 1000 gb hard drives work and be transferable to another machine.

all data is off the two 1000 gb hard drives.

I want the the two 1000 gb hard drives to be in a condition with no raid info left behind.

I Have Tried:

(1) I went to bios, disabled raid but Windows 7 will not boot. Switched back to Raid and machine back to normal. 

How do I Reset Disks to a Non Raid State?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Breaking RAID1 - Need specific instructions
          rivbnk65

I found ctrl+i on post

Update:

Raid is Intel RST Option ROM 12.7.0.1936

Under RAID Volumes:

ID   Name                Level                         Strip             SIze             Status

0   Volume xxx        RAID1(mirror)            N/A              931.5GB     Normal

Under "Physical Devices:" line:

Samsung SSD 840   is  a Non-Raid Disk

Toshiba Nu 1    1000 GB is a Member Disk

Toshiba Nu 2    1000 GB is a Member Disk

My choices on top are, 1 and 5 are not available?

2. Delete RAID Volume

3. Reset Disks to Non-RAID

4.Recovery Volume Options

I think just do Nu 3?  Why not Nu 2?

Thank You

• 2. Re: Breaking RAID1 - Need specific instructions
            rivbnk65

So did nu 3 "Reset Disks to Non-Raid".

Windows 7 loaded from ssd. There was an windows id conflict in disk management but both 1000gB drives are showing.

I assume the two 1TB hard drives can be removed and used in another machine.

Can I go back and do another raid 1 with two 500 gb drives?

I must remember the warning to keep bios set at RAID, otherwise new OS install.

I am re-upgrading to  Win 10. Any ideas about keeping RAID settings?

• 3. Re: Breaking RAID1 - Need specific instructions
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello :

The id conflict might be expected since there was a RAID 1 configuration in there, to fix that you can try to format the hard drives, remember to back up the important information before you do any changes.

And yes, you can used the 1TB hard drives in another machine, yes, you can also go back and do another RAID with 2 500GB drives, yes, you need to keep the BIOS set to RAID for the new OS install, and if you are going to use Windows® 10, the following version of IRTS is the one you need:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25165/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver?product=55005

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

• 4. Re: Breaking RAID1 - Need specific instructions
                Intel Corporation
                This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello :

I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto