Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20633 Discussions

Matrix Storage Manager - Help With Terms and Interpretation

JBaum1
Beginner

<!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:12.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:.5in .5in .5in .5in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

I have a system built for me by GamePC in April 2008. It is based on a Core 2 Quad Q6600 (2.4 GHz) in a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P Intel P35 ATX motherboard. It came with two WDCWD740ADFD-00NLR5 drives in RAID1 as the boot drive and a WDCWD5000AAKS-00A7B0 for data storage. I recently purchased a second WDCWD5000AAKS-00A7B0 with the intent of creating a RAID1 array from these drives for data integrity for the information stored on them as well. Before I could do so, I began having problems with the 74GB RAID array. My version of MSM is 7.6.0.1011. My OS is XP-Pro SP3.

I went through a drive failure problem last July and again in August when the reconditioned drive failed again.

In recovering from my most recent failure I caught the following message as the machine rebooted, "Error Occurred(8)" I have not been able to find documentation for this error message. When I opened MSM there was a red X through the replacement drive. I rashly assumed it had failed and returned it on exchange to GamePC. They later told me that it was running fine in their hands. Once I had installed the new HDD and the RAID1 began rebuilding, within 5 minutes the system locked up and once again there was a red X through the drive in MSM. This time I declared the drive 'normal' and the RAID1 rebuild went to completion. I'm learning to document experiences like this with screen dumps, but I am not always as conscientious as I could have been with hindsight. I have no record of the screens I saw last summer.

I am having trouble with terminology. I found that I was using the word 'failed' to describe a HDD and that perhaps others sometimes do the same. Does a non-functional disk always show up as 'missing' in MSM? What is the right word to use for such a disk in these discussions? The MSM Help File contains the following information:

Status

Normal: The hard drive is present and functioning as expected.

Error Occurred: The hard drive has exceeded its recoverable error threshold. This will be shown in the Intel Matrix Storage Manager option ROM User Interface.

SMART Event: The hard drive has exceeded its recoverable error threshold and is at risk of failure.

Missing: The hard drive is not present.

Incompatible Version: The hard drive contains RAID meta-data that is reporting a version that is incompatible with the current version of RAID software.

Failed: Indicates the same condition as 'Error Occurred'. This will be shown in the Intel® Matrix Storage Console.

This says that "Error Occurred" and "Failed" indicate the same condition (maybe?).

Are there any system logs that might contain useful information? I looked at the System Report in MSM and it does not seem to contain any event information. Where else should I be looking for diagnostic information.

Thanks,

baumgrenze

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JBaum1
Beginner

I marked this as 'assumed answered' to close the loop.

I do not intend to install IRST on my Windows 7 system.

thanks

baumgrenze

0 Kudos