9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2011 7:17 AM by fernsx

High pitched noise from DP55KG motherboard

GhostRider

Hi

I have a new PC built with a DP55KG motherboard. About one minute after booting there is a very high pitched whining/pulsing noise. I have tried unplugging the fans and the noise continues. I have removed the PC side panels and listened closely and it sounds like the noise is coming from the 7-panel LED display on the motherboard which is showing 00.

Does anybody else get this noise? Is the LCD panel a potential cuase of such a noise?

Many thanks

• 1. Re: High pitched noise from DP55KG motherboard
          jpiszcz

Hi,

What OS are you running?

Justin.

• 2. Re: High pitched noise from DP55KG motherboard
            GhostRider

The OS is Windows 7 64 Bit.

I removed the back panel from the PC and I can confirm the noise is the loudest in the area of the 7-panel LED display.

• 3. Re: High pitched noise from DP55KG motherboard
              jpiszcz

Hi,

I have two DP55KG's, a windows & linux box.

The Linux box emits the high pitch noise when the cpufreq module is loaded (which allows for turbo boost).

The Windows 7 (turbo boost works fine) does not have any high pitch noise.

The version of the board that makes high pitch noise:

version: AAE47218-403
              The serial it starts with:

serial: AZK**********

Does your board follow similar model/serial ranges?

I am just wondering if it is a bad batch?

BTW what CPU do you have in it?

When you are in the BIOS does it make the noise?

Finally, to rule out the problem that I have, run CPUBURN or anything to make the CPU not idle, does the noise go away then?

See http://lists.zerezo.com/linux-kernel/msg27283036.html for more information.

Justin.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: High pitched noise from DP55KG motherboard
                GhostRider

Hi

The CPU is an Intel i7 860.

I used Intel Desktop Control Center to test the CPU. And yes, when the CPU is loaded the noise goes away, stop the CPU test and the noise comes back instantly.

Board version is the same as you quoted, not sure how to check its serial number, I could not find that in Intel Desktop Control Center, Intel Desktop Utilities is much nicer and has more info.

• 5. Re: High pitched noise from DP55KG motherboard
                  jpiszcz

Hello,

My windows 7 box (just checked) is also the same version with no high pitch noise.

At this point I would suggest calling Intel and see what they have to say, I almost did that for my Linux server except it is in a computer room..

Note, it only occurs when the cpufreq module is loaded in Linux (of course you would be crazy not to use it, then no turbo boost).

I guess a call to Intel would be your next step, I would also be curious to see what they say because when I am in that room the noise is irritating.

Justin.

• 6. Re: High pitched noise from DP55KG motherboard
                    GhostRider

I will try contacting Intel directly.

Do you think the whine noise is coming from the CPU or some component on the motherboard?

The noise is very bad in my study, it is intensely distracting. I'll post an update once I have contacted Intel.

• 7. Re: High pitched noise from DP55KG motherboard
                      jpiszcz

Hi,

If you check the thread/read what others have written about high pitch noise in general, it is normally the capacitors on the motherboard (from what I have read) but I am not sure.

I have two DP55KGs with the same configuration, memory, CPU etc and only one motherboard makes the noise.

I agree 100% its extremely irritating.

I'd say as a workaround find something that can eat up spare CPU cycles folding@home or something until you can call Intel..

Justin.

• 8. Re: High pitched noise from DP55KG motherboard
                        Crucial09

I have had this problem since I got my board in September 2009.

The problem is when the processor disables cores to save power and boost the other core to 3.6 ghz(on my i7 870)

In the bios you can disable the Cpu C State.

This limits the processor turbo to go to the higest it can when all cores are active. On mine it will limit each processor to go to 3.2ghz( you will see no real difference doing this anyways, and its just as easy to do a small overclock within stock voltage to compensate)

They must have just made a bad batch of boards. A cpu capacitor or something. Mine still works great. And when experimenting I also got the overclock to a stable 4ghz, so the board and cpu work fine.

• 9. Re: High pitched noise from DP55KG motherboard
                          fernsx

Hey guys! i've also had this problem with my DP55WB.

It did that noise from the beggining, i suggest talk to INTEL directly.

My board was replaced and the noise is gone!

Checking that mainboard, the noise came from an area near the CHIPSET.