4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2017 6:34 PM by Intel Corporation

NUC6i7kyk Virtual Drive Issue

davidald

Hi, I have the i7kyk with an Intel 600P M.2 HDD and two 8 gig sticks of 2133 ddr4 sodimm. I run Win 10 and initially all was good. I then installed Daemon Tools so I could play older games using a virtual drive. After installing Daemon Tools apps started to crash including Edge and Store apps. The CBS.log kept referring to errors due to dual use of resources etc. I reinstalled win 10 and problem ceased. I then tried Alcohol52% and on restart the NUC would not boot and although I could see the HDD in Legacy BIOS it was not listed in eufi bios and not available as a boot device. I fixed this by reinstalling win10 media from a USB key. All is fine again but I would like to find a way to instal a virtual drive for my old games. These problems do not occur on my Win 10 desktops.

Thanks if anyone has an idea.

• 1. Re: NUC6i7kyk Virtual Drive Issue
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello :

Regarding your question, not sure if you already tried the following steps, but those are the ones we use to create a virtual drive:

Go to “disk management”
          Look for the option that says “Actions”
          Then select: “Create VHD”
          Assign a name to it and after that select the location where you want to save it and then the size
          After that we recommend to choose VHD and Fixed size
          Go back to disk management look for “Actions”and attached the VHD to disk management
          Right click where you see the name of the disk and choose “Initialize disk”
          Then choose GPT partition  
          And once you do that right click on it and select “new simple volume” to create a volume for it and that should be it.

I hope this information was useful for you, and if you are using different steps to create a VHD please let us know in order for us to try to confirm if they work properly.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

• 2. Re: NUC6i7kyk Virtual Drive Issue
            davidald

Thankyou for you reply Alberto. I did try this using DiskPart however Microsoft articles state that VHD's should be detached prior to restarting the OS?

• 3. Re: NUC6i7kyk Virtual Drive Issue
              Intel Corporation

Hello :

You are welcome.

Thank you for letting us know that information.

That is the way we recommend to follow to create the VHD, we not have any documentation stating that the VHD's should be detached prior to restarting the OS, let me apologize for that, so, in that case then the best thing to do will be to get in contact directly to Microsoft, in order to confirm that information or to get more suggestions.

Microsoft’s phone number: 1 800-642-7676

Microsoft’s support site: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

• 4. Re: NUC6i7kyk Virtual Drive Issue
                Intel Corporation

Hello :

I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto