8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2017 10:51 AM by Intel Corporation

Intel Edison- ROM Memory & EMMC Memory

Gray-Worm

Dear Guys,

I read edison has 1 GB ROM memory & 4 GB Flash memory. Want to know the directory path of these memory in linux directory.

Can somebody please explain, why its not advisable to use the EMMC memory ?

Also can help in knowing how to send the data ( lets say- Timestamp) from edison to a remote computer, in a flat file?

Appreciate a quicker response from the experts.

Thank you very much..

• 1. Re: Intel Edison- ROM Memory & EMMC Memory
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Gray-Worm,

Thanks for reaching out.

Regarding your questions, take a look at the Intel Edison Product Brief, it has 4 GB eMMC and 1 GB RAM. The path directory of the eMMC, you install the OS on there, so the path is all the OS, there is where you have the system files, root, and everything in your OS and you can save your files in there.

About if it is not recommended to use the eMMC, can you tell us where do you get that information? Because that's the main function of the eMMC and there is where the OS is stored.

To send data to a remote computer, I think that the best way to do this is using a SSH connection, I normally use WinSCP, so I recommend you to use it. But you can check all the methods here: https://gist.github.com/darylposnett/3e5d601584aa581722b5

I hope you find this information helpful

Have a nice day.

Regards,
          Leonardo R.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Intel Edison- ROM Memory & EMMC Memory
            Gray-Worm

Dear Leonardo,

Thank you very much for the information..!

Could you please help in pointing specific places. Did you mean /root/home/ directory path >> is the emmc memory.

I would like to write some values on emmc memory ( I read in one of the web link- more write operation on emmc memory is not advisable)

Could you help in knowing which function we need to use to write values to ROM memory of edison by C code, what i used in arduino is "EEPROM" but it has some limitations.

By file transfer what i meant is, my edison board will send some data to a remote computer on a timely basis. Could you guide on it.

Thank you very much..

Nice Day..!

• 3. Re: Intel Edison- ROM Memory & EMMC Memory
              Intel Corporation

Hi Gray-Worm,

There isn’t a specific path to see the eMMC memory, any path that is under "/" is the eMMC memory. So you can choose any path to write these values. You can use df -h to see the partitions of the memory and how Linux define them.

Now, the Edison has a RAM memory of 1 GB, so can you explain me about writing values on the memory? Because the Edison, doesn't have ROM or EEPROM.

About your last question, can you give us more details about the protocol you want to use to send the files? Wi-Fi, Bluetooth?

Have a nice day.

Regards,
              Leonardo R.

• 4. Re: Intel Edison- ROM Memory & EMMC Memory
                Gray-Worm

Dear Leonardo,

Thanks for the information.

Based on the points, can safely assume that can write files to /dev/root/ , Can create a directory & can use it, the memory wont be volatile so no data will be erased unless user do by himself.

On second point- i meant ROM memory, not the RAM memory. Upon further analysis found that using ROM memory is not advisable (Read-only memory - Wikipedia ), Though would be glad if you share information on ROM memory Read/Write operation.

On third point - Will use wifi & will pass a flat file from edison to a remote computer.

Thank you very much..

• 5. Re: Intel Edison- ROM Memory & EMMC Memory
                  Intel Corporation

Hi Gray-Worm,

Yes, you can save your files anywhere, I recommend you to create your own directory for example: /home/root/your_directory, if you use that path you will have an easy access to the directory when you turn on your Edison, because it always starts at " /home/root or ~" it is the same.

Now, like I told you the Edison doesn't have a ROM memory, it only has the flash memory (eMMC) and the RAM.

If you want to transfer files from your Edison to a remote computer using Wi-Fi, well it depends of your OS in the computer, if you are using linux I recommend you to use SFTP (Check this guide: https://itservices.usc.edu/sftp/cline/ ), if you want to send the files every specific period, you should create a script that runs the code using an infinite loop and a proper sleep. If you are using Windows, I recommend you to use SCP.

I hope you find this information useful.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
                  Leonardo R.

• 6. Re: Intel Edison- ROM Memory & EMMC Memory
                    RxDUty

I think there are some misunderstandings here. Let me have a try.

You can basically treat Edison as a computer rather than a microcontroller. On a microcontroller you may want to put configuration data on non-volatile memory such as Flash/EEPROM/SDCard. But on a PC, you generally don't go to that low level. If you want to save an MS word file on your computer, are you trying to look for EEPROM first? No, you just store it on your hard disk. eMMC storage here acts a similar role as the hard disk on Edison. Even if you're programming Edison in the Arduino way, it's not actually an Arduino. The Arduino code is simply handled by a special program that runs on Edison, together with all other Linux services. And this just gives you the feel that you're using an Arduino.

If you want to deal with files in the Arduino way, you may want to check if there are any libraries that provide such functions to you. To be honest I'm not familiar with this direction and I don't think that's a good way to do it. I think it's a lot easier to do it in the PC way. You can simply call functions provided by the standard library of your programming language, such as the C++ fstream functions introduced here (https://www.tutorialspoint.com/cplusplus/cpp_files_streams.htm ).

As to data sharing between Edison and another PC, I still recommend you considering doing it in the PC way. Remember that you're working on Edison with a Linux operating system and you don't have to use it in the bare metal way. As Leonardo suggested, you can start from SFTP if you really want to send files back and forth. If you just want to send messages, I think you can also have a look at libraries such as ZeroMQ(Distributed Messaging - zeromq), LCM (LCM: Lightweight Communications and Marshalling (LCM) ). If you're playing with robots, you can even consider ROS.

I hope my answer could help you a little.

-RxDUty

• 7. Re: Intel Edison- ROM Memory & EMMC Memory
                      Gray-Worm

Thank you very much guys.. Time constraint ... and i know this approach so following this one... though will try to follow the things, what u guys suggested.

• 8. Re: Intel Edison- ROM Memory & EMMC Memory
                        Intel Corporation

Hi Gray-Worm,

We will be waiting for your results!

Have a great day!

Best Regards,
                        -Jose P.