0 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2010 9:46 AM by stephen

D945GCNL will not have DMA enabled in Windows 7, only XP!

stephen

I installed Windows 7 (32-bit) and downloaded/installed the appropriate Chipset etc. drivers for it. The only problem is that the DVDRW (Pioneer DVR-216D) is now stuck in PIO mode.

I then followed the Win7 Help instructions and went into device manager, and the appropriate Channel to select ATAPI Cdrom which shows as PIOMode4. Then I checked the "DMA enabled" box and clicked OK.

The window refreshes and the "DMA enabled" box is unchecked again, so it looks like I cannot change it from there.

Then I tried uninstalling the Microsoft driver for it, rebooted and let Windows 7 install the driver again, but it still stays in PIO mode!

The Pioneer website just says that the DVR-216D works with Vista using the Microsoft driver (no mention of Windows 7.)

So I then re-installed XP (32-bit) and it is fine again  (DMA is enabled) and the DVD that took 27 minutes to copy to Hard Drive now only takes 7 minutes.

The only difference I can think of was that, for XP, I used the Intel driver installer CD so the chipset driver I installed would be an older version than the latest version I downloaded/installed for Windows 7. I am not sure if the latest would be a problem though.

There are BIOS updates for this board, but reading the notes none of them seem relevant to this problem.

Does anyone have an idea what I could try to get Windows 7 working in DMA mode when using this Motherboard? It is just the DVDRW, the hard drives are both in DMA mode.

Also I would be interested to know if anyone, using the D945GCNL and Windows 7, has got a DVDRW working in DMA mode?

Many thanks for any replies.