3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2017 11:32 AM by Intel Corporation

Atom VS Core M Failure Rates?

Sweeney08

So My Atom stick (STK1AW32SC) bricked on me and wont boot, which I'm now finding is pretty common. Its about two weeks old and just ordered a replacement from amazon. The stick locked up trying to read an SD card and I had to pull the plug. After that the blue light would come on but it wouldnt post. No fan and not being picked up by any monitor or tv I have.

Is it worth upgrading to a Core M stick? Do they have this similar problem or is it mostly found on Atom sticks?

• 1. Re: Atom VS Core M Failure Rates?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello :

In regard to your inquiry, even though there are a few cases where the Intel® STK1AW32SC gets defective, it is actually a really good product, like any other product there are units that might have some failures, but is not a known issue or something that happens to all the STK1AW32SC sticks.

An upgrade most of the times is a good thing to do, if you are interested in getting a core M stick, the Intel® STK2mv64CC is a really good option, one of the main improvements compare to the STK1AW32SC stick, is the Embedded Storage, the stick you currently have has 32GB of Embedded Storage memory, the STK2mv64CC has 64GB which is a big improvement.

Also, the USB revision on the STK2mv64CC is 3.0 which is faster than the 2.0 on the stick you have, and you will be able to use 3 USB ports instead of 2 which is always better.

On the following link you will find a comparison chart, where you can see your compute stick model and the core M sticks in case you want to verify the specifications:

http://ark.intel.com/compare/86612,86613,91065,91064,91979,91980,91981

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

• 2. Re: Atom VS Core M Failure Rates?
            Sweeney08

In regard to your inquiry, even though there are a few cases where the Intel® STK1AW32SC gets defective, it is actually a really good product, like any other product there are units that might have some failures, but is not a known issue or something that happens to all the STK1AW32SC sticks.

....I mean that's a joke right? Are you new at intel? Every single page here has people experiencing similar problems with their STK1AW32SC. And those are only the people that take the time to post. Its very clear its a common and known issue.

An upgrade most of the times is a good thing to do, if you are interested in getting a core M stick, the Intel® STK2mv64CC is a really good option, one of the main improvements compare to the STK1AW32SC stick, is the Embedded Storage, the stick you currently have has 32GB of Embedded Storage memory, the STK2mv64CC has 64GB which is a big improvement.

I have zero interest in upgrading to upgrade. Its an extra $355 that I shouldnt need to spend. There is no big improvement spec wise for me unless they dont have bricking problems. **** if this stick had 2GB it would be fine. All Im using it for is to hold my Sentinel network license keys for a couple different programs I use. Which means the only thing I care about is the device not bricking and not allowing me to use the keys located on the stick. I had inserted an sd card into it because it was a second computer that happened to be next to me. Apparently thats too much to ask of this stick.

Also, the USB revision on the STK2mv64CC is 3.0 which is faster than the 2.0 on the stick you have, and you will be able to use 3 USB ports instead of 2 which is always better.

Thats cool. Mine has usb 3.0 as well so not sure how it would be any slower than the 3.0 on that stick. I dont need ports. I need it to not brick.

Alberto, can you get someone that isnt in sales to help me out? I need to get my network keys on a stable device that wont brick. If the core M sticks dont have the same failure rates/brick as often as the STK1AW32SC then I will upgrade reluctantly because I need a stable system. Not speed, not usb ports, not storage size. Also I really dont appreciate that not only are you trying to upsell me when im trying to ask a fairly legitimate question I especially do not appreciate you trying to upsell me on the most expensive stick you sell and not the STK2m3W64CC which is $130 cheaper.

Can someone other than this salesman up here help me?

• 3. Re: Atom VS Core M Failure Rates?
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello :

First of all I just wanted to apologize for any inconvenience you might have experienced on this thread.

I am not a sales person, I just wanted to answer your questions as accurate and honest as I can be.

Just to let you know that we appreciate and respect the feedback of all the peers in our communities, according to Intel, there is no known issue with the stick you are using, you said that there are a lot of users with the same problem, and we understand your point, but at the same time there are many users the has no problems whatsoever with that stick, but then again we respect your opinion.

Now, you asked me if "is it worth upgrading to a Core M stick?" In my personal opinion an upgrade is always a good thing to do, specially on Sticks or PC’s since there are advantages and new features with every new release, but we can always differ on that, if you think the upgrade is not good for you, that is fine and we respect that as well, I am not trying to force a sell, is just my opinion, I apologize about the USB revision because I can see here that yours also supports 3.0, that is my mistake.

Now, you want me to guarantee that the Core M stick will not bricked, and that is something I cannot do, like any other product some units might get defective or are defective at the moment when they get released, hopefully those will be the fewer cases, that is the reason why we have warranty on all of our products.

Once again let me apologize for any inconvenience and I encourage the peers viewing this thread to provide more suggestions and feedback about this matter.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto