2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2010 6:43 PM by TimsTips

may you give me a piece of advice, please?

hey guys

i need an update for my sounddriver but i do not know if there is one. windows allways tell me that it has problems to find one. i know my computer is quite old, but it ran with windows xp and i want it to run with windows 7 but now i am 2 1/2 month without any audio.

okay, i hope one of you guys may help me. thanks a lot

Übersicht

Computer:
      Computertyp  ACPI x86-basierter PC
      Betriebssystem  Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
      OS Service Pack  -
      Internet Explorer 
      DirectX  DirectX 11.0  -> is wrong
      Computername  XXX
      Benutzername  XXX
      Domainanmeldung  XXX
      Datum / Uhrzeit  2010-02-21 / 13:23
      Motherboard:
      CPU Typ  Intel Pentium 4, 3000 MHz (15 x 200)
      Motherboard Name  MSI MS-7048 (Medion OEM)
      Motherboard Chipsatz  Intel Springdale i865PE
      Arbeitsspeicher  512 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
      DIMM2: Samsung M3 68L3223ETM-CCC  256 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (3.0-3-3-8 @ 200 MHz) (2.5-3-3-7 @ 166 MHz)
      DIMM4: Samsung M3 68L3223ETM-CCC  256 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (3.0-3-3-8 @ 200 MHz) (2.5-3-3-7 @ 166 MHz)
      BIOS Typ  Award  (02/12/04)
      Anschlüsse (COM und LPT)  Kommunikationsanschluss (COM1)

Anschlüsse (COM und LPT) 

ECP-Druckeranschluss (LPT1)

Multimedia:
      Soundkarte  Intel 82801EB ICH5 - AC'97 Audio Controller [A-2/A-3]
        • 1. Re: may you give me a piece of advice, please?
          win2kpro

Intel previously announced they were not going to develope any drivers for Windows 7 for 8xx and 9xx boards. Of course some of the 8xx boards have the same chipset you do, the 865PE.

Since you ran XP, what I would do would be to look for a PCI audio card that was supported by XP and has drivers available for Windows 7. You might check the Creative website to see what they have available. I believe it will be easier to find a PCI audio card that will work with Windows 7 rather than trying to find a driver for a motherboard integrated card.

• 2. Re: may you give me a piece of advice, please?

See my other post by TimsTips. I noticed that your multi media is being run by Intel's generic driver. Read my post. Intel supplies the generic driver, intel (r) 82801 BA/BAM AC 97 Audio Controller to the Computer companies that modify it for their configurations, i.e. Dell, Compaq, IBM, etc. I noticed that you left off the computer brand - as if you pieced it together. Where did you get the operating system? You can go to Dell's web site, for example, and see if their SoundMax Digital Audio driver will work - it is also available on the internet, but make sure they aren't trying to sell you phoney scans of your other drivers, etc. to scam you to buy something else. If you open up your tower take a look at the type of sound card - that can also help you determine which name brand audio drivers will support it. Whether or not you have windows 7 or XP Professional your audio shouldn't be a problem. Speakers and microphones are typically plug and play. You just need to specify which driver to operate them with. Save your current generic audio driver on a disc or your harddrive, then un-install it under the Hardware tab option of Sounds & Audio, etc. Download A SoundMax driver or similar one built around the intel (r) 82801 generic driver and remember to install it after downloading it to activate it. The other option is to go to a computer shop and buy a new sound card that will fit your computer which should come with the software (a dsic containing the driver for it). I noticed that your Ram memory seems limited. If possible, and if you have two card slots for memory ugrade your RAM memory to 1 Gig by using two 512mgb cards. The bottom line is to replace the generic driver with one that is formatted for the newer operating systems and will respond to plug and play. Of course make sure your speakers are plugged in correctly and working, plugged in, turned on, etc. Check to see if you can hear sound with head phones plugged in in place of your book shelf speakers.

I hope these ideas help you go in the right direction to solve your problem with your audio.

TimsTips