3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2017 12:17 PM by Intel Corporation

Intel Z170 -  Series 100/C230 - m.2/Sata speed problem (Win10 x64)

rst

Hello,

I have the problem, that in Win 10 the performance of the hard drives (m.2 and Sata) are in small transfer package sizes up to 10x or even more slower that in comparison to windows 8.

Please see Picture below. All tests are made on the same Computer with (Atto disk benchmark)! This is an Z170 Chipset mother board with Intel Series 100/C230 Disk controller. I think, there must be an issue with the Intel Series 100/C230 controller drivers or something similar. Windows 10 has the latest update installed with the latest Intel inf drivers an the 15.x.x.xxx version of the Series 100/C230 controler.

If all folks have have the same problems as me, they don't even notice that there disks runs 10x slower than they schould!!

disk intel.jpg

Can i get some support with this issue?

Thanks a lot

Best Regards,

Mihael

• 1. Re: Intel Z170 -  Series 100/C230 - m.2/Sata speed problem (Win10 x64)
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi,

Were the disks tested on different chipset controller?
          Have you tried different benchmark software?
          Do you get same data from your hdd manufacturer?

Please bear in mind that any computer component can decrease the performance due to external factors, internal heat, chassis, memory, etc.

Did you check with the board maker about this benchmark values?

Allan.

• 2. Re: Intel Z170 -  Series 100/C230 - m.2/Sata speed problem (Win10 x64)
            rst

Hello,

I will explain the whole story, that you have an image, what i have already tried.

I bought a new computer, use it for about 2 weeks (Everything work well without problems), than i had to copy many small files and i noticed, that the copy takes very long, much longer than my old PC. I decide to test the disk speed with the "ATTO" and compared the results to the tests of the same hard drives on the net. I could not believe that my disks could be so slow! Than i tried also "HD Tune" and the result were similar slow on ALL hard drives. Then i decide to bring one of my drives to may Brother (different chip-set, some motherboard from Gigabyte) and the disk performance was "normal", like those from the net.

Then i realized that the hard drives are OK and they must perform much faster than on my PC!

Then i thought, OK, if there is no problem with the drives, it must be some problem with the Motherboard. I contacted Asrock and complain about my problem. They gave me an feedback with an test they performed with an identical motherboard (Asrock Z170 Extreme4) and identical hard (Samsung 960pro) drive. Results see Picture. And see now, they tested the drive in Windows 10!

attachment-0.jpg

They Wrote also i should check if the drives are properly connected (They are), I should try different memory (I try 1 stick from my brothers PC  --> Were no difference) and I should try different CPU (I do not believe that the CPU has something to do whit this problem --> To change the CPU i do not try, because i do not have another CPU).

I saw from the Asrock feedback, the Board is able to perform normally in Win 10, only by me not. So i decide to install windows 8 first then windows 7 to test the performance, if i get normal results there. I do so and the results were normal (like in the table left). So i knew that i do not longer have an hardware problem (M2/Sata controler and Motherboard with all included components work normal). I am 1000000% sure, that i have an software problem specific in windows 10. I installed windows 10 Pro x64 back, install latest windows updates, install latest inf driver and motherboard drivers but my problem do not gone. Once again the ALL drives perform wery wery poor and I still don't know why!!

Then i Decided to Contact Intel forum for help, cause i tough that could be some issue with the driver of the chip-set controller (I tried the windows pre-installed version and v14 / v15 from Intel but no difference, still poor performance) or som other drivers, cause all the main chips on the Motherboard are from Intel. Could also be so some Windows update problem or some specific setting somewhere in Windows that course the problem, but i don't know how how to fint the reason whitch cause the problem.

That is all i can say, If someone need some specific information from my system that can solve my problem, i will lovely share it.

Thanks a lot

Best regards,

Mihael

• 3. Re: Intel Z170 -  Series 100/C230 - m.2/Sata speed problem (Win10 x64)
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Thank you for the information but I do not have reports of similar issues with the Intel® 100 series chipset.
              I recommend checking with Microsoft* about this matter if you think this is an operating system issue. 
              Microsoft* support

Allan.