1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2017 7:17 AM by Intel Corporation

530 SSD, sometimes bad, sometimes good

paramountain

I have a 530 120 GB SSD that exhibits problems when updating Fedora Linux. Messages along the lines of "write FPDMA queued" and "ATA bus error" are displayed. I removed the SSD from the PC and installed Fedora Linux on a WDC hard drive with no errors being seen, so it's not the PC. I ran a full diagnostic scan using SSD Toolbox, but no problems were found. Something seems to be wrong, but I don't want to send it in for warranty if it will just be returned to me as is (according to intel.com, I have almost two more years of warranty remaining). From reading the SATA specification, it appears that the supported life is 36,500 GB, but Total NAND Writes = 4639.00 GB. All SMART fields are green Ready For Use. What SSD Toolbox data would Intel support look at to determine if the SSD is toast?

• 1. Re: 530 SSD, sometimes bad, sometimes good
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Paramountain,

Could you please export the SMART details from Intel® Solid-State Drive Toolbox?
          You can attach the file by clicking on the "use advanced editor button", the file's format is *.csv

We will be checking those details and we'll give you some advice on how to proceed; You can also take a look, in the meantime, to this firmware update to prevent write amplification.

We will be waiting for your response.

Regards,
          Nestor C

• 2. Re: 530 SSD, sometimes bad, sometimes good
            paramountain

Here is the file. Everything's green, so I have no idea what is going on. The Fedora error is repeatable, as I installed Fedora and saw the error and then installed Korora (a Fedora spin) and saw the error.

• 3. Re: 530 SSD, sometimes bad, sometimes good
              Intel Corporation

Hi Paramountain,

We are checking this situation with the proper team, we'll keep you posted over here.

Regards,
              Nestor C

• 4. Re: 530 SSD, sometimes bad, sometimes good
                Intel Corporation

Hi Paramountain,

We'd like you to please let us know a few things:

-What's the Fedora version you are installing?
                -Are you able to install any other OS (Linux* or Windows*)?
                -Can you share your hardware specs? (Motherboard, CPU, RAM, etc)

Please let us know if you are able to install any other OS, for example, Windows*, so we can determine if this is a SATA driver issue.

Regards,
                Nestor C

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: 530 SSD, sometimes bad, sometimes good
                  paramountain

I have more information. I actually have two 530 120 GB drives. #1 is the one I referenced before. After your comment regarding firmware, I updated both drives to the firmware you suggested. The PC has i5-2500K, DH67CL, a older Creative sound card, and an XFX R7 240 video card. I'm probably the only person with a K processor and a motherboard that does not allow processor overclocking.

On #1, I previously tried to install both Fedora 25 and Korora 25, with the latter being a spin of the former. Both times I saw the ATA error messages. I only saw these error message when I did "dnf update" in the console, and more specifically, I only saw them during the download portion of the update. These error messages are NOT fatal, with the update continuing to the end.

Remember that this PC has a swap rack on it so I can switch between Linux and Windows OS. It is connected via SATA III.

I used W-7 installed on a 330 60 GB drive first thing this morning. As usual, I experienced no warnings or errors.

Then, after updating the firmware of the two 530 120 GB drives, I secure-erased #1 and installed Korora 25. I saw the same messages as before, but the installation appears to have completed successfully.

Then I booted #2, on which I had previously installed Fedora 25. I updated the OS via "dnf update" in the console. I did NOT see the ATA error messages.

I just realized I may have a non-Intel problem. All of my SSDs are mounted inside Vantec 2.5" to 3.5" converters to make it easy to use the swap rack. It is possible that the Vantec for #1 has connection problems. I will remove the SSD from the Vantec, connect it inside the case via SATA III, secure-erase it, and install Fedora 25. I will post results later.

• 6. Re: 530 SSD, sometimes bad, sometimes good
                    paramountain

Okay, I understand the problem. I secure-erased the drive, mounted it inside the case via SATA III, and installed Korora. No errors were found. The problem has to be in the SATA passthrough in the Vantec converter. I always thought it was simple circuitry, but perhaps I wore-out the connectors. It has been recycled, so it will not bother me again. Sorry, I should have recognized the potential before I posted.

• 7. Re: 530 SSD, sometimes bad, sometimes good
                      Intel Corporation

Hi Paramountain,

Thanks so much for providing the deep research on this one and the explanation to the situation presented.
                      We really hope this can be useful for other users.
                      Don't worry about posting here, it is always good to learn about this different situations and we are glad to see how you fixed it.

Regards,
                      Nestor C

• 8. Re: 530 SSD, sometimes bad, sometimes good
                        paramountain

Okay, I'm back, even more confused than ever. I used Korora on that SSD since my last post in a different Vantec converter. I did not see the errors I saw before and therefore believed that the problem was solved.

Today I updated the system and saw ten times as many errors as before. I thought the system was going to crash. Over the past week or so, I have updated a Fedora system on another 530 SSD and a Korora system on a SanDisk USB flash drive, multiple times, with no errors. So, either the Vantec converters are conspiring against me, Korora (but not its parent Fedora) is having problems on Intel SSDs, or there is a subtle problem with the SSD.

I'm going to wipe the SSD, install Linux Mint, and use it for a while to see if the errors reappear. I will post again later.

• 9. Re: 530 SSD, sometimes bad, sometimes good
                          Intel Corporation

Hi Paramountain,

Please keep us posted on this one. This is really strange.

Regards,
                          Nestor C

• 10. Re: 530 SSD, sometimes bad, sometimes good
                            paramountain

I installed Linux Mint and have seen no errors whatsoever, and this using the same SSD and Vantec converter. I will continue to use Linux Mint, as it's a good distribution. If I see errors, I'll post then, but otherwise I'll report back in a week. Good thing I didn't actually recycle the first Vantec converter; I just put it in the recycle pile and now retrieved it.

• 11. Re: 530 SSD, sometimes bad, sometimes good
                              Intel Corporation

Hi Paramountain,

Thanks for the update. We are also checking here and we will be waiting for your outcome with this situation.

Regards,
                              Nestor C

• 12. Re: 530 SSD, sometimes bad, sometimes good
                                Intel Corporation

Paramountain,

We'd like to verify with you if you have noticed any errors so far after the installation of Linux* Mint.
                                We'll be waiting for your response.

Regards,
                                Nestor C

• 13. Re: 530 SSD, sometimes bad, sometimes good
                                  paramountain

Okay, one more update. Sorry for the delay.

I installed Linux Mint and used it since my last post. I saw no errors. Then today, I thought I'd perform one last test. I secure-erased the SSD and installed Fedora GNOME (for those of you who do not dabble in Linux, Korora is a spin of Fedora). On the first update, I saw the same errors I saw with Korora, as bad as they ever were. Actually, there were some graphical artifacts as well, but that might be due to Fedora 25 GNOME changing from X to Wayland. One thing I want to stress is that these errors are not fatal, though they are worrying.

I don't understand this at all. Remember that I have Fedora 25 Cinnamon installed on another 530 120 GB SSD and Korora 25 Cinnamon installed on a SanDisk 32 GB USB 3.0 flash drive, with neither exhibiting errors (I often use the SanDisk to run Korora on different PCs). It seems like Fedora is super-sensitive to some transient SATA error which the first 530 120 GB SSD exhibits, though the SATA error is not bad enough to appear via SSD Toolbox.

I guess I will use the SSD to run Linux Mint.

• 14. Re: 530 SSD, sometimes bad, sometimes good
                                    Intel Corporation

Hi Paramountain,

Thanks for the updates.
                                    For these series of SSDs, we do suggest to run the following firmware upgrade, the upgrade is for the WAF issue, it will help you to avoid huge write amplification and then, you can also try and make tests with it after the upgrade.

Also, keep us informed if Linux Mint does not show any errors at all.

Regards,
                                    Nestor C

1 2 Previous Next