1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2017 7:25 AM by FGT

Grove LCD Displays Local IP ADDR on Boot, What file does this?

TeQ

Pretty basic question - It's hard to find some answers due to all the layers involved in Galileo development.

I have a Grove LCD that on boot up displays an IP ADDR value on the screen.  It seems to be generated from the linux boot versus any arduino related code.  Could someone point me in the direction of the file that handles displaying this value?  I know how to change it once the device is booted up, but I'd like to explore more of the start sequence code and understand that better.  Thank you  

• 1. Re: Grove LCD Displays Local IP ADDR on Boot, What file does this?
          FGT

Hi TeQ,

There are two standard (supported by Intel) ways of booting up a Galileo I know of:

a) Without SD

b) With SD

and none of them shows anything in a display by default... So please send your settings (al least those you know about):

a) OS (win, linux, version/distribution)

b) Arduino IDE version (or none?)

c) boot with SD?

d) A picture of your hardware (LCD connected to the Intel Galileo)

BR,

Fernando.

• 2. Re: Grove LCD Displays Local IP ADDR on Boot, What file does this?
            TeQ

Hi -

So this is a kit that I have which came with a whole Spark arduino shield and some neat components.

a)  It's running Linux quark014cf0 3.8.7-yocto-standard  (Is there a newer version somewhere?)

b) Yea the Arduino IDE is latest, however this really doesn't seem to have anything to do with uploading sketches.

c) Yes it boots off SD

d) Pictures

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

So to be clear, when I reboot the whole device the IP ADDR displays by default on boot up.  If I load a sketch that messes with the LCD screen, it overrides what's displayed.  Rebooting the device again will reload the IP ADDR display code.

• 3. Re: Grove LCD Displays Local IP ADDR on Boot, What file does this?
              FGT

Hi again,

Maybe the Linux image you are using is not the one provided by Intel? You can find it at

Downloads for the Intel® Galileo Board | Intel® Software

(Latest Yocto* Poky Image (210 MB))

When I issue

uname -a

The Linux image I'm using shows the following output

Linux galileo 3.8.7-yocto-standard #1 Thu May 12 08:17:14 PDT 2016 i586 GNU/Linux

what is the output in your case?

How did you get the image in the SD you are using? Where did you get the image file? If you've got the SD along with the kit I think it's possible you are using a Linux version "adapted" to your kit by the kit provider.

Just in case, please show the output of

ls -la /sketch

HTH,

Fernando.

• 4. Re: Grove LCD Displays Local IP ADDR on Boot, What file does this?
                TeQ

Right so I did a uname -a previously and posted that "Linux quark014cf0 3.8.7-yocto-standard"

I did find a sketch.elf inside the /sketch folder but I'm pretty sure that was the last sketch I uploaded that controls servos.  I removed all files from that directory and rebooted, the device still loads this IP ADDR on the lcd screen.  I believe it must be something in the linux boot at this point?

Thanks for your help!    

• 5. Re: Grove LCD Displays Local IP ADDR on Boot, What file does this?
                  FGT

TeQ wrote:

Right so I did a uname -a previously and posted that "Linux quark014cf0 3.8.7-yocto-standard"

Then it is not the yocto provided by Intel. It does not mean it is erroneous, it's just another Linux yocto. Maybe if you find the answers to my previous questions:

How did you get the image in the SD you are using? Where did you get the image file? If you've got the SD along with the kit I think it's possible you are using a Linux version "adapted" to your kit by the kit provider.

you'll know about it.

TeQ wrote:

I did find a sketch.elf inside the /sketch folder but I'm pretty sure that was the last sketch I uploaded that controls servos.  I removed all files from that directory and rebooted, the device still loads this IP ADDR on the lcd screen.  I believe it must be something in the linux boot at this point?

Yes, I'm pretty sure it is something in the Linux (quark014cf0 3.8.7-yocto-standard) boot.

Do you need to know any detail about your LCD, IP address, etc.? Maybe we could move on anyhow... I would not be able to help on your original question

Could someone point me in the direction of the file that handles displaying this value?

But I could try helping on getting the IP and using the Grove LCD with the standard Linux image provided by Intel.

Thanks for your help!  

You are welcome!

Fernando.

• 6. Re: Grove LCD Displays Local IP ADDR on Boot, What file does this?
                    Intel Corporation
                    This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello TeQ,

Do you have any updates about this? Were Fernando's suggestions helpful? Please let us know if you still need assistance and we'll be more than glad to help you in any way we can.

Pedro M.

• 7. Re: Grove LCD Displays Local IP ADDR on Boot, What file does this?
                      TeQ

Hello, not yet - I am working on flashing the latest build of Linux for the device.  My gut feeling is that this will also display the IP address on the LCD screen. 

If anyone has a recommendation on where to look for any boot scripts and such on the linux OS for Galileo I think that would be very helpful.      

• 8. Re: Grove LCD Displays Local IP ADDR on Boot, What file does this?
                        FGT

TeQ wrote:

Hello, not yet - I am working on flashing the latest build of Linux for the device. My gut feeling is that this will also display the IP address on the LCD screen.

I don't think so, but maybe I'm wrong, so your approach of "let's see what happens" seems to be the best one.

TeQ wrote:

If anyone has a recommendation on where to look for any boot scripts and such on the linux OS for Galileo I think that would be very helpful.

There are several threads/documents about boot scripts, I think the first one to read is

How to create a system service with systemd on Edison and Galileo’s eglibc image

there are other comments/suggestions at

Boot process and network configuration

Even other examples

Installing Cron on Galileo Gen 2

HTH,

Fernando.

1 of 2 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Grove LCD Displays Local IP ADDR on Boot, What file does this?
                          TeQ

I was able to flash the latest build onto a new SD card.  Of course you get surprised with new issues with such big changes.  The build I have Linux clanton 3.8.7-yocto-standard #1 Fri Aug 22 10:42:53 PDT 2014 i586 GNU/Linux

There are some changes in the instructions in order to flash a SD card using DD on MacOS.  Specifically relating the new options that were added to Disk Utility in newer versions of MacOS. 

Newer problem is it seems the WiFi adapter is not working.  I am able to login and run commands, however following instructions from this page IoT - Step 4: Connect over Wi-Fi* | Intel® Software  shows nothing when I run the command 'lspci -k | grep -A 3 -i "network"' and if I run connmanctl I receive: -sh: connmanctl: not found

I can report that the IP ADDR is currently not showing, but it seems the ethernet isn't initialized now so I'm not so sure!

• 10. Re: Grove LCD Displays Local IP ADDR on Boot, What file does this?
                            FGT

TeQ wrote:

Newer problem is it seems the WiFi adapter is not working. I am able to login and run commands, however following instructions from this page IoT - Step 4: Connect over Wi-Fi* | Intel® Software shows nothing when I run the command 'lspci -k | grep -A 3 -i "network"' and if I run connmanctl I receive: -sh: connmanctl: not found

I can report that the IP ADDR is currently not showing, but it seems the ethernet isn't initialized now so I'm not so sure!

wifi adapter and ethernet adapter do not depend on each other, they are completely independent at least at the initialization level.

I'm not able to help on the wifi side, but I can try to help with Ethernet.

Please boot the Intel Galileo with the Ethernet adapter plugged in (as it should) and send the utput of the command

ifconfig -a

Fernando.

• 11. Re: Grove LCD Displays Local IP ADDR on Boot, What file does this?
                              rgb

I posted some information about using LCD screens with python and having it start automatically

see

Python, Wiring_x86, I2C LCD, Grove RGB LCD

hope this helps

rgb

PS

read through as some things changed over the time I was working on it

• 12. Re: Grove LCD Displays Local IP ADDR on Boot, What file does this?
                                FGT

Hi rgb,

I think it's not related to the problem (which, btw, seems to be solved or discarded by the OP). Also, if the condition stated in your old post is still true

Wiring_x86 from Emutex Ltd  works on the Edison, Galileo Gen 1 and Galileo Gen2 boards, but only with the standard Intel and AlexT's uClibc versions of Yocto for the Galileo, as hasn't been ported to the XDK IoT version

then it's not much useful either, since even when the uClibc based yocto linux seems to be maintained it's not the one suggested to use by Intel documentation.

Fernando.

• 13. Re: Grove LCD Displays Local IP ADDR on Boot, What file does this?
                                  rgb

Hi FGT

You may be right. I still use the uClibc based yocto linux in my classes, as nothing else worked as well when I was trying to figure out how to use the boards Intel donated, and it still does about everything I need it to do.

regards

rgb

• 14. Re: Grove LCD Displays Local IP ADDR on Boot, What file does this?
                                    FGT

rgb wrote:

Hi FGT

You may be right. I still use the uClibc based yocto linux in my classes, as nothing else worked as well when I was trying to figure out how to use the boards Intel donated, and it still does about everything I need it to do.

regards

rgb

I see. I use uClibc only when needed... which is a problem. Intel documentation seems to suggest (and maintain, I think) eglibc based yocto linux, even when they provide support to uClibc based yocto linux as well, to be honest.

I'd like to know your issues about eglibc based yocto linux, would you mind to post those in a thread? I'd keep using eglibc based yocto linux in my classes (I'm using donated Intel Galileo cards too) because I lose too much time (and I've seen too many students problems to understand...) explaining different Intel yocto images, versions, etc. and I like my students directly jump to handling some simple devices.

Fernando.

1 2 Previous Next