Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Can't Fix overscan on HTPC

idata
Employee

I have built a HTPC with a i3 530 processor and ASUS P7H55D-M EVO motherboard. It is connected to a Mitsubishi WS-65813 HD CRT Rear Projection TV by a DVI cable. I downloaded the latest Intel HD Graphics driver (8.15.10.2021). The Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel shows the display as a Digital Display and there is no option to fix the significant overscan the TV has. I can not see the task bar or the minimize and close buttons. On the custom resolution panel, I attempted to enter a custom resolution to fix the overscan, but the control panel say "You have entered an invalid value. Refer to the manufacturers specifications." On the Monitor/TV setting it says Monitor /TV settings are not supported. How can I fix this overscan?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AMeie
Beginner

the overscan has nothing to do with the driver. It is a "feature" of your Rear Projection TV. Check the user guide of your Rear Projection TV for an option which allows you to switch off the overscan. Very often this option has a name which seems to be not related to overscan. Sometimes the device has no such option, then it's bad luck.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Of course the overscan is caused by my TV. All CRT TVs have overscan, and none of them allow you to turn them off. Only Digital TVs , (LCD and Plasma) have 1 to 1 pixel mapping (no overscan). That is why all the good companies, (ATI and Nvidia), have a correction you can apply to fix overscan. Only Inte has decided to turn off the overscan correction. I have fix the problem by hacking the registry and adding a custom resolution using DTD calculator, no thanks to Intel.

idata
Employee

In 8.15.10.2086, there is an "underscan percentage" slider on the Custom Resolutions settings that may meet your needs. In my case, I have been able to address the underscan issue using the "horizontal scaling" and "vertical scaling" options under the general settings for my digital television (a 42" westinghouse).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

My Samsung M86 has a "Scan" function, but forgets it whenever I change the source. This means that I have to change it manually each time I use my HTPC. I installed the latest drivers and used the "horizontal scaling" and "vertical scaling" options to fix the overscan.

Does this ruin my 1:1 pixel map or is this an "ok" solution?

Thanks,

Stefan

0 Kudos
TPrac1
Beginner

This ruin your 1:1 map. After applying H/V sliders, final screen is blurry, interpolated.

Its a crap, i bought new NUC device and I am very angry about this.

My old HTPC with ATI Radeon had overscan correction option, which doesnt affect sharpness, its like 1:1 maping, everythink includind text was sharp!! unlike intel HD4000...grrr

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

What video interface are you using in that NUC? What is the model of it? What operating system and driver versions are you using?

Is there any adapter or converter being used in between?

0 Kudos
TPrac1
Beginner

I have NUC DC3217IYE, latest BIOS 0042 and latest video driver (downloaded directly from intel support page), Windows 7 64bit Ultimate Edition.

NUC is directly connected with TV (older Samsung) through high speed (class 2) 1.4a HDMI cable.

When I try fix overscan with H/V sliders = final screen is blurry, interpolated!

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

Please try the troubleshooting available on the following article;

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-034397.htm Graphics | HDMI Technology FAQ

Specifically check under "My HDMI TV overscans where the sides of the desktop screen are not visible. How do I fix this?" and try setting the resolutions listed there.

0 Kudos