Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20623 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics Control Panel not working.

JSanc22
New Contributor I

Hi, i'm a new user here, and my mother language isn't this, so apologies for any mistake in my writting.

A few days ago, everything worked fine untill I installed the Microsof's update (KB3213986).

Later, when I tried to conect my laptop to my tv using the Mini Displayport, no signal was coming out from

the laptop, so I restarted everything, cleaned the cables, the ports, etc...

I went to my desktop, clicked the right button and I did notice that the option/link to open the intel hd graphics control panel

disappeared. Then I tried to open the aplication via the shortcut in the start menu, the application didn't opened, and still don't.

I went to device manager and uninstalled the driver and download the latest (the same one I had: 20.19.15.4531), also I tried installing the

previous one (4501) and the problem persisted.

I decided to uninstall the Microsoft update but the problem was still there so I installed it again.

*EDIT* I searched for viruses which I didn't found one.

After searching for a solution on the internet, I tried many things, like this one but didn't work

so i'm hoping that you can help me please, I am a broken collegue student and I need this to work.

My Laptop information is this:

Lenovo Thinkpad T440p

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

MotherBoard: 20AWA13HLM

Intel Core i7-4710MQ

16 Gb SODIMM DDR3

Intel HD Graphics 4600

*EDIT* I've found that recognizes imaginary displays as shown on the images.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JSanc22
New Contributor I

Ok, so I found something interesting, I uninstalled the driver, rebooted my laptop and when it started up, I checked if it has been succesfully uninstalled, and a driver .4444 was installed, I checked the desktop and right clicked, and finally there was the graphics panel shortcut and it opened, it wasn't detecting the rare monitors, but after a minute, my screen went black and also it made the sound when you connect something (USB, external monitor,etc) and the problem returned.

There was the 4 Generic monitors in the device manager, the shortcut in the right click menu disappeared and the more interesting thing is that I checked for the driver installed and magically there was the .4531 installed.......

I deleted the intel graphics driver from the control panel and it stop from updating the driver automatically.

So righ now I'm using the driver .4444, this is the only driver that is stable and works, so I will stay with this driver until Lenovo,Microsoft or Intel fix this problem with an update or a new driver version.

*EDIT* I think I finally found the problem. The problem is caused when the virtualization is enabled from the BIOS settings, so now that is disabled everything works fine just like before, with the driver .4531, but now I can't use my virtual machine with 64 bits, it's the only inconvenient.

So the conclusion I made is that with the last update, microsoft messed up with something linked to the virtualization.

Hope this information can help the community.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello julious,

I will working with you, please stay on this thread.

Let's try addressing this matter with the following suggestions;

Uninstall the current Intel® HD Graphics driver installed;

1. Open the Device Manager.
  2. Find the Intel Graphics Driver.
  3. Right click Intel Graphics Driver and select Uninstall.
  4. Select the check box Delete the driver software for this device.
  5. Reboot the computer after uninstall process has finished.

Install driver .4501 one more time. but this time using the method below;

1. Login with administrator privileges
  2. Open Control Panel
  3. Open Device Manager
  4. Click on "Display adapters"
  5. Double click "Intel HD Graphics"
  6. Click on the "Driver" tab
  7. Click on "Update Driver" button
  8. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software"
  9. Click on "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
  10. Click on "Have Disk" button
  11. Click "Browse"
  12. Navigate to the folder that you unzipped the Intel HD Graphics driver to
  13. Navigate to the Graphics sub-folder
  14. Double click the igdlh64.inf or igdlh.inf file <-- depends on if you have 32 or 64 bit OS</li>
  15. Click "OK"
  16. Click "Next", Driver should now be installing.
  17. If successful, click "Close", Reboot.

Find the driver here; https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26229/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-15-40-4th-Gen-?product=81496 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 [15.40][4th Gen]

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
JSanc22
New Contributor I

ok, I followed the instructions but nothing changed, the problem is still the same.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

We have a suggestion that was reported as a fix for this issue, find it below. Since you already tried the latest version from our end and the latest from your computer manufacturer, the next step is to try with this suggestion.

I quote the suggestion from this user;

"Find the shortcut you're using to open the Intel Graphics Control Panel... Right-click on it and choose "Open file location." That will take you to the shortcut file, or possibly the Control Panel .exe file itself. If you get to the file itself, stop here and skip to the next step. If all you see is the shortcut, right-click again and choose "Open file location" a second time. You should now be in a folder something like:

C:\WINDOWS\system32

And you should see that a file called: GfxUIEx.exe is highlighted. That's the control panel you're trying to open. On my laptop, I also saw a file right next to it called Gfxv2_0.exe. Just out of curiosity, I double-clicked that file, and magically, the Intel Graphics Control Panel finally showed up again!!!"

Find the discussion here;

Let me know if it helps.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
JSanc22
New Contributor I

Hi Amy, thanks for your answer.

As I posted before: "After searching for a solution on the internet, I tried many things, like this one /thread/52670 Intel HD Graphics control panel not opening but didn't work

so i'm hoping that you can help me please, I am a broken collegue student and I need this to work."

I tried once more, with different dirvers, but neither GfxUIEx nor Gfxv2_0 nor Gfxv4_0 opened something.

I really don't think that the Panel itself must be the problem, I think it's just a consequence of the problem because my laptop somehow is recognizing 4 Generic Non-Pnp Monitor, and when I connect my external monitor, in the device manager, it appears like another PnP monitor, but doesn't send any signal to my external monitor. That's why I think that the fact that the graphics panel doesn't open isn't the main problem, something wrong happened after the microsoft update....

Hoping that we found a fix soon, and I aprecciate the time you are using to help me.

Regards,

Julio.

0 Kudos
JSanc22
New Contributor I

Ok, so I found something interesting, I uninstalled the driver, rebooted my laptop and when it started up, I checked if it has been succesfully uninstalled, and a driver .4444 was installed, I checked the desktop and right clicked, and finally there was the graphics panel shortcut and it opened, it wasn't detecting the rare monitors, but after a minute, my screen went black and also it made the sound when you connect something (USB, external monitor,etc) and the problem returned.

There was the 4 Generic monitors in the device manager, the shortcut in the right click menu disappeared and the more interesting thing is that I checked for the driver installed and magically there was the .4531 installed.......

I deleted the intel graphics driver from the control panel and it stop from updating the driver automatically.

So righ now I'm using the driver .4444, this is the only driver that is stable and works, so I will stay with this driver until Lenovo,Microsoft or Intel fix this problem with an update or a new driver version.

*EDIT* I think I finally found the problem. The problem is caused when the virtualization is enabled from the BIOS settings, so now that is disabled everything works fine just like before, with the driver .4531, but now I can't use my virtual machine with 64 bits, it's the only inconvenient.

So the conclusion I made is that with the last update, microsoft messed up with something linked to the virtualization.

Hope this information can help the community.

idata
Employee

Julio, my apologizes for providing that information. You were clear on you first post, somehow I got lost finding more solutions for you, sorry!

At this stage, you pretty much found one of the subjects that we are currently investigating. We have several reports of virtualization related to this issue, I do not have an update on the investigation but we are definitely working on finding the solution. I will keep you updated as soon as I have more information.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
JSanc22
New Contributor I

Thank you very much for your attention, now that I know what's the problem I just have to wait for the fix.

Just a last question, how do I will know when the fix is out? Is intel the one to provide an update, or it's going to be Microsoft?

Regards,

Julio.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello Julio,

As Amy stated in her last reply, this is an issue that we have been tracking with our latest drivers within the 15.40 branch (i.e. 4th & 5th Generation graphics controllers).

The issue appears as fixed with our latest internal driver builds, so at this point it is just a matter of waiting for us to release this new driver.

All updates for this issue, including the driver release announcement, will be provided on this thread:

The same driver release announcement will also appear, as usual, on our community's featured content section. Example:

In addition, once the driver is officially released, it should get automatically installed on your system via Windows* Update in due time.

Kindest Regards,

0 Kudos
IPiro
Beginner

Two weeks ago the Intel and Nvidia Graphic Cards Control Panels stopped working and I could not open my MEmu android emulator, or play games.] I decided to format my laptop and re install Windows 10 to see if the problem will be solved.

I installed Windows 10 and let windows update do it's job and everything went well and both cards worked.

The problem appeared again when I installed my last remaining driver - the Anker 3.0 usb docking station displaylink driver. When I installed the drivers found in the Anker Website both graphic cards stopped working like before. I uninstalled it and the graphic cards started working again.

I installed two versions of the driver found in the Displaylink website - one dated 25th October and the latest version of the 18th December and the problem reappeared. When I uninstalled/deleted the drivers both graphic cards and their respective Control Panels began working again.

Julious, do you have a USB docking station which uses a display link driver? Can you please delete or uninstall it to see if the same thing happens to you?

0 Kudos
JSanc22
New Contributor I

I'm sorry piroi002, I do not have a USB docking station.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

For those of us that have a need to use hyper-v as well as external monitors could you perhaps provide a beta version for testing?

I _was_ using the microsoft x.4474 version on on a HD 4600 with external monitors, HDMI, and hyper-v (which had been a roll-back, so common upgrades didn't alter it) until I did a clean install a few days ago. Then, a s you well know, all hell broke loose with the graphics setup. Now its a choice, manually install the old version and hope that whatever else changed isn't really the problem, or wait for this new version. A beta/test would go a long way towards making the decision easier. Thanks.

0 Kudos
LKuai
Beginner

Is there any update on this issue? this issue is not just when Vt-x enabled in bios, external display won't work. this issue can also happened in a reversed way. I mostly connect to only external display when using my laptop with 5200 graphic and need hyper-V for work related stuff. my laptop was stuck in external display only mode.

Now I have reverted 15.4444 driver (just keep uninstall the newer version, I had to revert from March 2017 then Sept 2016 until the April 2016 15.4444 version appear) and use Group policy to prevent any further driver installation with the Graphic Hardware ID, then finally the 15.4444 driver is stick. But come on Intel, this issue happens from 2016 Sept driver until now without a fix?

0 Kudos
HDönm
Beginner

I have that same problem...I must turn off windows update.Did you find a solution to this problem?

A very urgent situation

0 Kudos
HDönm
Beginner

The problem is solved by loading the original....(10.18.15.4256 )

Intel error in latest version

Orginal : 10.18.15.4256

0 Kudos