10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2017 2:44 PM by Intel Corporation Branched to a new discussion.

Intel Joule WiFi

majidHelmy

Hi,

Is it possible to set up a hotspot WiFi connection in the Intel Joule to connect multiple sensors to it ?

Temperature, heartbeat, pressure etc…

If so, What is the maximum number of devices/Sensors I can connect to the Intel Joule via Wifi?

Thank you,

• 1. Re: Intel Joule WiFi
          floydg

Hi,

More information is needed from you regarding the "system architecture" for sensors.

Sensors can be connected to GPIO, SPI, I2C, Uart, BLE, WIFI, ...

There are limitations and pros and cons with each physical transport/bus connected to a sensor.

You can pretty easily have more than 100 sensors on this system, if soft real-time requirements is adequate for your product/platform (additional power requirements may need to be addressed).

• 2. Re: Intel Joule WiFi
            majidHelmy

Hi Floydg, I am not quite sure I understand your answer.I will try to reword my question.

So I have 5 temperature sensors generating data in a room. I want this data to be transferred wirelessly to the Intel Joule.

One way I imagined it to be is, to create an AP on the intel joule to connect all the 5 sensors via Wifi.

So is that possible ?

• 3. Re: Intel Joule WiFi
              floydg

Yes.

See (and try) the Intel XDK examples.

• 4. Re: Intel Joule WiFi
                Intel Corporation
                This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi MajidHelmy,

Thank you for contacting us.

It is possible to send data to the Joule if you have the sensors and the Joule connected to the same network, in that case you see the XDK examples like Floydg said (Thanks for the help Floydg)

About the AP Mode, we’re planning on introducing the feature to enable the Intel Joule as an access point in a future release. Although the timing and exact scope of the feature would be subject to change, we hope to have it available soon.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
                Leonardo R.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Intel Joule WiFi
                  majidHelmy

Thank you for the thorough answer, is it okay to contact you if I had more questions ?

• 6. Re: Intel Joule WiFi
                    floydg

MajidHelmy,

Yes, you can contact me, and if time permits I will attempt to help. Best approach is to search the Intel community, and other web sites. And post issue(s) with the community, if you do not find solutions to your questions after researching.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Intel Joule WiFi
                      floydg

Ubuntu Desktop (and or Ubuntu Core) is also another solution on the Intel Joule which maybe adequate currently for the Hot Spot.

• 8. Re: Intel Joule WiFi
                        majidHelmy

I might side track on the main topic if I ask this question but is it true to say that "Any wired sensor that works with arduino should also work with the Intel Joule ?"

• 9. Re: Intel Joule WiFi
                          floydg

Yes, there is a good chance it should work. Check the UPM library (and mraa) for integration.

• 10. Re: Intel Joule WiFi
                            Intel Corporation
                            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi MajidHelmy,

It was a pleasure to help you, and yes feel free to contact us anytime. 

And about your last question, yes, there is a good chance that it work (Just like Floydg said). Just remember that the GPIOs I/O voltage is 1.8 V.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
                            Leonardo R.