8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2017 5:49 PM by Intel Corporation

NUC6i5SYH - Windows 10 random BSODs, Linux freezes

__apo__

Actually, I found similar requests @ communities.intel.com, but found no answers among a solutions that would help me. So my story is: After about 2 weeks of stable work my NUC started to falloff in BSOD with different stop codes every time. Configuration was next: NUC6i5SYH + 16Gb RAM(2x8Gb Kingston KVR21S15D8/8) + m2 SSD 256Gb(WD Green) + 500Gb SSD SATA (Crucial) + Windows 10 Pro. All drivers was up to date, dowloaded from Intel's drivers page. During 3 days of permanent BSOD hell, I've tried next: Memtested RAM(no errors), Memchecked RAM(no errors), Reinstalled Windows couple of times(BSOD repeated in short time), Installed Linux(Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, both freezes or kernel panic in short time), removed 1 RAM plank, then another, removed m2 SSD(sata only), removed SATA SSD(m2 ssd only), flashed new bios version (was 0051, now 0057). Nothing helps. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: NUC6i5SYH - Windows 10 random BSODs, Linux freezes
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello __apo__,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

Have you tried different ram? Different brand, you can check some validated rams by Intel at the picture below:

Module manufacturerModule part numberModule sizeModule speed
          CorsairCMSO4GX4M1A2133C15-ESS4 GB2133 MHz
          CorsairCMSO8GX4M1A2133C15-ESS8 GB2133 MHz
          HynixHMA41GS6AFR8N-TF8 GB2133 MHz
          HynixHMA451S6AFR8N-TF4 GB2133 MHz
          MicronMTA16ATF1G64HZ-2G18 GB2133 MHz
          MicronMTA8ATF51264HZ-2G14 GB2133 MHz
          SamsungM471A1G43DB0-CPB8 GB2133 MHz
          SamsungM471A5143DB0-CPB4 GB2133 MHz
          Silicon PowerSP004GBSFU213N024 GB2133 MHz
          Silicon PowerSP008GBSFU213N028 GB2133 MHz
          TranscendTS1GSH64V1H8 GB2133 MHz
          TranscendTS512MSH64V1H4 GB2133 MHz

Regards,

Ivan.

• 2. Re: NUC6i5SYH - Windows 10 random BSODs, Linux freezes
            __apo__

Hello Ivan,

Thanks for helping, but unfortunately I don't have any other RAM yet to test it with. Is there any inside info maybe, what is the true reason of such strange behavior, i.e. is it software or hardware problem? In case of software issue it'll be reasonable to wait for a new bios version, maybe, or new drivers, in case of hardware mistake - there is no way to fix(worstest scenario)

My request to Intel support was closed without explanation or any response, maybe you need some additional info?

sincerely

Andrew Po

• 3. Re: NUC6i5SYH - Windows 10 random BSODs, Linux freezes
              Intel Corporation

Try to access in safe mode, if you access Windows in safe mode and you don’t get this issue, then most likely the issue is with an app that is installed or a corrupted driver, if you still get BSOD when access Windows in safe mode then this is most likely a hardware issue.

You can also try Windows® update and make sure all important updates are installed, you can try reinstalling drivers as well but since  you mentioned that you reinstall the operating system and also you tried with Linux* and the issue persists, reinstalling the OS is the nuclear option. It will blow away your existing system software, replacing it with a fresh Windows system. If your computer continues to blue screen after this, you likely have a hardware problem.

At this point, it is easier to try with different RAM as it is the most common failure that causes BSOD or you can try to test your RAM in a similar PC if it is possible.

Regards,

Ivan.

• 4. Re: NUC6i5SYH - Windows 10 random BSODs, Linux freezes
                __apo__

Chronology of events let me assume that it's not about software. Just in case here it is:

1) Unpacking new NUC

2) Unpacking new RAM and new SSD

3) Assembled all together

4) Downloaded new Windows 10 Pro image (1607) from Microsoft site

5) Installed Windows 10 Pro

5) Installed Google Chrome browser and fresh, manually downloaded, appropriate drivers from Intel's site

6) Installed Steam client and couple of popular games

7) Installed Intel's drivers tool, found that some of previously installed drivers versions differs from those in drivers tool list

8) After two weeks received first BSOD, with "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" stop code

9) After reboot, worked fine for 10 mins then received next one with another stop code, if I'm not mistaken, it was "KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED"

10) With Windows boot menu I've restored to the restoration point from driver installation period, but received new stop code and it was endless rebooting with random stop codes, untill I've tried Safe Mode, that works fine. Yes I know - it meas that it's a software problem, my thoughts were the same, so I've decided to reinstall Windows from the scratch, i.e. removing partions, formated new one, totally fresh install. This time I've been interrupted by BSOD in between points 5) and 6)... groundhog day continues with custom setups - fresh Windows install with no drivers at all, BSOD at Chrome installing point, without Chrome installing, drivers dowloading with Edge browser(was such mad idea that is maybe a Microsoft's revenge for Chrome), updating bios to 0057 version then fresh Windows installations,

11)Memtested RAM with MemTest86 - Offical Site of the x86 Memory Testing Tool(about 6 hours), Memchecked RAM with Windows 10 Memory Diagnostics Tool, both with no errors.

12) Linux Ubuntu Mate setup on another disk, got freeze from the start, almost the same with OpenSUSE

13) Then, reading Intel's community discussions, realized that some ppl has same problems, tried to find out which one is about my NUC, tried different combinations of RAM placement and SSDs

And here we are.

Waiting for new RAM from my NUC seller.

Still believe, that NUC is a great product, thanks Ivan

• 5. Re: NUC6i5SYH - Windows 10 random BSODs, Linux freezes
                  Intel Corporation

Thank you for the information you have kindly provided, at this point if you have order a new RAM let’s wait for it to see how it goes.

Ivan.

• 6. Re: NUC6i5SYH - Windows 10 random BSODs, Linux freezes
                    Intel Corporation

Hello ,

I'm following on this post to ask you if your issue has been resolved or if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Ivan.

• 7. Re: NUC6i5SYH - Windows 10 random BSODs, Linux freezes
                      __apo__

Hello Ivan,

Thanks you for your assistance

Un/Fortunately I've recieved proposition from Intel Support team to send my NUC back, before my seller replaced my RAM, so cant confirm that it was RAM problem.

Waiting for totally new device (new NUC).

This post can be closed of course.

• 8. Re: NUC6i5SYH - Windows 10 random BSODs, Linux freezes
                        Intel Corporation

Thank you for the information and I hope you can have a better experience with the replacement NUC.

Best wishes,

Ivan.