4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2017 4:45 AM by MartyG

NUC6CAYS High CPU usage after WOL

kafisc

I'm getting nearly 100% cpu-usage after WOL (clean shutdown, not suspend) on the latest Libreelec 8.0 (Linux).

I cant tell, if this is also a problem under Win 10.

I'm using the latest bios with default settings. After a normal reboot the problem doesn't appear.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you in advance

kafisc

• 1. Re: NUC6CAYS High CPU usage after WOL
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi,

The Intel® NUC NUC6CAYS was been officially released to work with Windows® 10, I am afraid, I do not have notifications about WOL issues with LibreELEC.
          You may need to address this matter with the Linux community to see if they offer updated LAN drivers https://forum.libreelec.tv/

Allan.

• 2. Re: NUC6CAYS High CPU usage after WOL
            MartyG

I did extensive research on the problem.  You are not the only person who has experienced near-100% CPU load with Libreelec 8.0.  It is not limited to NUCs only.

There seemed to be no conclusive cure for the lag either that people could recommend, as it seemed to be under different circumstances, not just after WOL like on yours.  The majority reported that the lag occurred when playing HD videos.  One person cured their lag by turning off subtitles on the videos.

I expanded the scope of the research by searching for 'wake on lan high cpu load'.  It seems that Wake On LAN is a common cause of high CPU load, and that everyone who disabled that feature had their CPU usage drop hugely.

• 3. Re: NUC6CAYS High CPU usage after WOL
              kafisc

Thank you very much for your replies. I will open a post in the libreelec forum.

I've switched from the built in emmc to a SSD (SATA). I've disabled the emmc storage in the bios-settings and the the problem with the high CPU-load is gone.

Could there be a conext?

Thank you in advance

kafisc

• 4. Re: NUC6CAYS High CPU usage after WOL
                MartyG

I'm not an expert on the eMMC storage, except that it is limited-capacity Flash-based storage.  It is meant to be used to store a small thin-client OS, not for regular read-write use (as repeated writes degrade Flash storage, unlike SSD drives).  So it's probable that the switch to SSD was indeed the correct solution for your particular NUC setup.

Using Embedded Multimedia Card (eMMC) Storage Device