5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2017 2:04 PM by Intel Corporation

No POST with display connected after using Integrator Toolkit

horihel

Hello,

It's a NUC Kit 6i5SYH

i tried uploading a custom logo into the NUC with the Intel Integrator Toolkit (6.1.3). After several failed tries (resulting in a blank logo) i tried to revert to default by uploading the default logo (Intel_NUC_Default_512x384.jpg).

This seemed to have borked the system seriously. Now the NUC will crash hard before POST when a display is connected.

• No difference in port - HDMI or Displayport - screen will turn on, but no display, no reaction to keys - only power button reacts (by turning off immediately).
      • System boots perfectly normal into windows 10 when no display is connected. I can connect a display after booting and then it's working nomally.
      • I tried re-installing the BIOS (057) and it looks like it did install something (the LED blinked for 1-2 minutes), but no change.
      • I also tried BIOS recovery, but that didn't seem to do anything (and it also crashed with a display connected)

Is there anything I could do to this poor machine to get it working correctly again?

Best Regards

• 1. Re: No POST with display connected after using Integrator Toolkit
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello horihel,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

On the subject you mention that there is no post but just to make sure, can you still access the BIOS by pressing F2 on your keyboard when the system boots? If you cannot access the BIOS, try with the power button to access the bios. The power button menu is accessible via the following sequence:

1. Make sure the system is off, and not in Hibernate or Sleep mode.
          2. Press the power button and hold it down. The system emits three short beeps from the PC speaker. You can plug headphones into the front panel audio jack to hear the beeps.
          3. After the beeps, release the power button before the 4-second shutdown override. The power button menu displays.
          4. Press F2 to enter Intel® Visual Bios and then press F9 to restore BIOS factory default values and then press F10 to save and exit Intel Visual BIOS.

If the problem persists, try again doing a BIOS recovery; please follow these instructions to do the BIOS recovery:
          BIOS Recovery Update Instructions for Intel® NUC

Bios Version: 0057

If you are able to make the system work again, please make sure you follow the instructions to use the Intel® Integrator Toolkit

To use this utility
          1. Unzip the contents of this download package.
          2. The included Intel Integrator Toolkit User Guide.pdf contains complete instructions on how to use the utility.

Note: The ITK6.efi program must be run from a FAT32-formatted USB drive. The system where you run the utility (an Intel NUC) must have the Internal UEFI Shell option enabled in the BIOS.

To enable the Internal UEFI Shell on Intel NUC:
          1. Press F2 during boot to enter BIOS Setup.
          2. Go to Advanced -> Boot -> Boot Configuration.
          3. In the Boot Devices pane, enable Internal UEFI Shell (or Configuration, depending on your product).

4. Press F10 to save and exit BIOS Setup.

I hope this can help.

Best regards,

Ivan.
          • 2. Re: No POST with display connected after using Integrator Toolkit
            horihel

Hello Ivan,

thank you for your answer. Unfortunately, the steps are hard to get through without a display.

If a display is connected to the machine it will turn on a display signal (the monitor turns on, but displays a black screen) and then will cease to react to any input (not even num-lock).

With no display connected I can go through the motions, but i possibly fail on confirmation screens i can't see.

I tried a BIOS recovery using the first method (without the jumper) and that didn't change anything. It blinked a few times, restarted twice and then bootet back into windows - but it will still only boot when no display is connected.

I already tried erasing NVRAM (by flipping the jumper position) and the second BIOS Recovery method (by removing the jumper and booting with a USB *.bio file connected) - no change.

UEFI Shell has the same problem. I know it's activated (unless my recovery attempts disabled it) but I can't get to it without a display.

Is there any way accessing the UEFI Shell (or ITK) remotely? Maybe a serial connector?

Connecting a display _after_ boot works, but only with the OS already booted. UEFI/BIOS will not detect or run a display connected after turning it on.

• 3. Re: No POST with display connected after using Integrator Toolkit
              Intel Corporation

Without display it is hard to accomplish this. At this point, we can help you evaluate your warranty options for the Intel® NUC.

I sent you a Private Message with further instructions.

Ivan.

• 4. Re: No POST with display connected after using Integrator Toolkit
                noah.mcaulay

Hello horihel,

I'd like to try reproducing this issue. Could you please Private Message me the logo you used as well as the BIOS version you had on your NUC? I assume it was 57 as you stated earlier, but I just want to double check.

Thanks,

Noah

• 5. Re: No POST with display connected after using Integrator Toolkit
                  Intel Corporation

Thank you noah.mcaulay for contributing on this post, this is very much appreciated.

Regards,

Ivan.