6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2017 2:33 PM by paramountain

DH67CL says video card is PCIe x8, vendor claims it is PCIe x16

paramountain

This is not a warranty issue, just a curiosity.

I have a DH67CL with a Sandy Bridge processor that I am converting to W-10. Since the only Sandy Bridge graphics driver is a generic one from Microsoft, I bought an entry-level video card, XFX Radeon R7 240, to side-step the issue. WEI is 6.6/6.6 on W-7, so I think it's working as it should. This will not be a gaming PC. But there is a curiosity.

XFX's website does not state the PCI specification, other than PCIe 3.0. I assumed it was PCIe 3.0 x16, but when I installed the card and ran GPU-Z: at idle the slot is at PCIe 1.1 x8, but if I stress-test it, it climbs to PCIe 2.0 x8.

The moral so far: GPUs take snoozes to save power just like processors. I didn't know that.

When I look in BIOS, in two places -- the video page and the PCI slots page -- it is referenced as PCIe 2.0 x8. I really think the card is PCIe 3.0 x8, but the DH67CL negotiates it down to PCIe 2.0 x8.

XFX support told me that the card is PCIe 3.0 x16, but I don't believe it, though it really doesn't matter because an entry-level video card like the R7 240 cannot saturate PCIe 2.0 x8, let alone anything fatter.

All video options are set to their default values. Could the DH67CL be identifying the card wrong?