6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2017 3:29 PM by Intel Corporation

exFAT file system support for Intel Edison board

KHTS

Hello Team,

I have mini break out Intel Edison board. I am following Access Edison mass-storage from within Edison to access edison mass storage from within Edison.

My host can only support exFAT file system. So, for that I format USB mass storage memory block partition of Intel Edison board with exFAT file system. but when I again try to mount it back to intel edison using mount /dev/loop0 /update (from theAccess Edison mass-storage from within Edison thread) I am getting error "exFAT unknown file system".

Is there anyway I can make exFAT file system compatible to Intel Edison board with default image/rebuild image?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: exFAT file system support for Intel Edison board
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi KHTS,

Thanks for your interest in the Intel Edison Platform.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues formatting the USB mass storage partition as an exFAT file. Before we start looking for a solution to your issue, I have a couple of questions:

1) Did you encounter any errors following this guide http://dlsloan.ca/Docs/Edison/USBFileTransfer.html .

2) How are you formatting the USB mass storage partition as an exFAT file?

I will be waiting for your reply, have a nice day!

Best Regards,
          -Jose P.

• 2. Re: exFAT file system support for Intel Edison board
            KHTS

Hi Jose,

Please find below snapshot of my log:

I created text file when my board is mounted on PC. But I am not able to see that file when it is mounted back to within edison under update directory.

(2) I formatted usb mass partition with exFAT file system from PC in same way we format normal USB thumb drive. By selecting exFAT file system in format option.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: exFAT file system support for Intel Edison board
              Intel Corporation

Hi KHTS,

Thanks for answering my questions.

It seems that your issue might be related to the compatibility of the exFAT file with the default image, as you stated in your first reply. However, we will investigate more about this issue and get back to you as soon as I have some useful information.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
              -Jose P.

• 4. Re: exFAT file system support for Intel Edison board
                KHTS

Hi Jose,

Sure! Give me suggestions as you get some solution. I am waiting for your reply.

Thanks.

• 5. Re: exFAT file system support for Intel Edison board
                  Intel Corporation

Hi KHTS,

I appreciate your patience.

As you stated the default Yocto image doesn't support exFAT files, one way to solve your issue would be to customize your image. You should know that image customization is not part of the support scope, so this suggestion may or may not work.

Now, that said the changes needed would be to include the recipes "exfat-utils" and "fuse-exfat", to do so, modify the edison-image.bb file found in the edison-src/poky/meta-intel-edison/meta-intel-edison-distro/recipes-core/images directory and add the following lines:

IMAGE_INSTALL += "exfat-utils"
                  IMAGE_INSTALL += "fuse-exfat"

After this change, proceed to source, build and flash the image. 

Hope you find this information useful, have a nice day! 

Best Regards,
                  -Jose P.

• 6. Re: exFAT file system support for Intel Edison board
                    Intel Corporation

Hi KHTS,

Were you able to modify the Edison image, in order to include exFAT compatibility? Please let me know in order to assist you.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
                    -Jose P.