1 2 3 Previous Next 244 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2017 10:21 PM by Achilles

New NUCs capable of passing through Atmos?

Wighnut

I'm trying to figure out if the NUC7i3BNH is capable of passing through an Atmos signal? In the specs of the NUC it reads "7.1 digital". So I'm not quite sure if this includes a 5.1.2 channel for example. My setup consists of a Denon Atmos-Receiver and I want to run Kodi Krypton.

Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i3BNH Specifications

Thanks for your input.

• 1. Re: New NUCs capable of passing through Atmos?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Wighnut,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

For you to check the supported audio you can check here:
          http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/NUC7i3BNB_TechProdSpec.pdf
          I’m not sure if this NUC supports Atmos signal but let me find out for you.

Please bear in mind that Intel has only validated Windows® 10 with the Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i3BNH, you can check Supported Operating Systems for Intel® NUC Products,

Regards,

Ivan.

• 2. Re: New NUCs capable of passing through Atmos?
            opa1

I'm having problems with passthrough audio on my NUC7i3BNH. I have it connected to a recent Marantz amplifier. When I try to passthrough video, some formats do not work at all. The amplifier states that the bitsteam is in unknown format. My results:

- Dolby Digital 5.1: Works

- DTS 5.1: Works

- DTS-HD 7.1: Does not work

- Dolby TrueHD: Does not work

I am using Windows 10 and I have installed the driver 4541. (by the way, the driver here is version 4541 even if it says 4550 on the web site: Download Intel® HD Graphics Driver for Intel® NUC Kits NUC7i[x]BN ). I have tried using MPC-HC and Kodi 17 for playing the video. The results are the same.

Using the same HDMI cable, same amplifier and an old NUC D34010WYK it works just fine. Has anyone gotten the Kaby Lake NUC and audio passthrough working for Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD formats?

• 3. Re: New NUCs capable of passing through Atmos?
              rguevara

Hello,

I am looking into this and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Ronny G

• 4. Re: New NUCs capable of passing through Atmos?
                rguevara

I have confirmation that the NUC7i3BNH is capable of passing through Dolby Atmos signaling as long as you're bitstreaming and the movie is encoded correctly.

It has to be set up to audio bitstreaming output mode.

I hope this helps,

Ronny G

• 5. Re: New NUCs capable of passing through Atmos?
                  rogelio

I can confirm I'm having the same issue on the Kaby Lake 7th gen NUC7i3BNK.

I'm using a Yamaha TSR-5810 HDMI 2.0a HDCP2.2 compatible Receiver capable of decoding every audio format.  I'm using windows 10 on the latest available drivers (same as noted above by user opa1), running display at 4k60hz.

When I use media player classic (w/ K-Lite Mega Codec Pack installation), I have LAV Audio set as the default audio output module setting all audio formats to directly passthrough / bitstream (to the receiver).

I can also confirm dolby digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 works, but any of the newer format audio (e.g. HD master audio, Dolby True HD, ATMOS), do not register on the receiver as a recognizable format.

I just had the same TV and receiver plugged into an older Ivy Bridge NUC (D32217GKE) with no problems whatsoever with these higher-def audio formats bitstreaming in the same manner.

I believe this is a driver issue with the LSPCon DP converting switcher bridging to the HDMI port.  It's not properly handling those audio formats as expected, even though the specifications should allow for it.  You indicate that it's capable of passing through these formats; my issue is that while it's capable of it, it's not properly doing it (driver issue).

Can you please escalate this to your engineering group?

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: New NUCs capable of passing through Atmos?
                    Mangoat

It's the same for the new Arches Canyon NUC models. I have the Nuc6cayh set up with Windows 10, MPC-HC, Lav Filters etc.

Dts and ac3 bitstream just fine but DTS-HD and TrueHD do not work.

Please investigate and resolve Intel as this is a deal-breaking issue with these units at present.

• 7. Re: New NUCs capable of passing through Atmos?
                      zava1974

rogelio,

Exactly the same problem, to detail !

• 8. Re: New NUCs capable of passing through Atmos?
                        cvare

Hi all, I work directly with the engineers and I tested this several times in the Pre-Production models w/o issue.  I'll take a production version home to test and see what happens.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: New NUCs capable of passing through Atmos?
                          Mangoat

Thanks cvare.

To give some more detail I have straight swapped my Nvidia Shield TV 2015 model out with the nuc6cayh so using the same hdmi lead and input on my avr (Devon X3200w). The Shield had no issue with DTS-HD or TruheHD/Atmos passthrough.

Windows audio properties suggest HD formats are supported but enabling the settings in LAVor Kodi doesn't work. Reports are that it is not Windows specific and that the likes of Librelec is also affected.

• 10. Re: New NUCs capable of passing through Atmos?
                            Dejh0n

Hi all,

Exactly the same problem for me with my NUC6CAYS,

Bought this for the sole purpose of a media player to play 4K files (via the HDMI 2.0 port) as well as to bitstream 3D audio (ATMOS and DTS:X).

I have a 2012 model Mac Mini running windows 7 and the same files will output an ATMOS file to my AVR via Kodi WASAPI HDMI interface but this does not work on my NUC. It passes nothing to the AVR at all.

It can also bitstream AC3 Dolby and DTS streams no problem but not DTS-HD or TrueHD.

Tested on a Pioneer LX59

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: New NUCs capable of passing through Atmos?
                              nucblog.net

Hi cvare,

I did observe this same issue with NUC6CAYH and now with NUC7i3BNH. I know you had the NUC6CAYH working just fine with the modern audio formats and your amp. Could this be amp dependant? Or are there some parameters in the HDMI2.0 standard that could be one way or another depending on the amp that's being used?

Here Dejh0n above is saying he sees the issue with Pioneer LX59. I have a Marantz SR6010 and Mangoat above says he has a Denon X3200w (which is a very similar amp to Marantz SR5010 - as Marantz and Denon are both in the same company D&M Holdings). Which amp are you using?

I'd like to point out that when I use an older Haswell NUC (D34010WYK) all audio formats are working fine. This proves that at least the HDMI cable I'm using should be fine and that the amp is capable of decoding the said audio formats. Plus, it gives a certain degree of confidence that I'm not doing things very wrong.

Best Regards,

Olli from nucblog.net

• 12. Re: New NUCs capable of passing through Atmos?
                                zava1974

Hi Olli ,

I had a same problem like other, my AV Receiver is Yamaha RX-A850 ...

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/aventage/rx-a850_black_u/

• 13. Re: New NUCs capable of passing through Atmos?
                                  cvare

Hi all, and Olli, nice to chat with you again.

I am using a Yamaha RX-V577 at home and an Onkyo TX-NR626 at work. 

Unfortunately the Onkyo at work I don't have a place to hook the speakers up, but as you all know the display will tell you what format is being bitstreamed.  The engineering lab also has 2-3 receivers as well, I'll try those too.  Expect a report back w/in 12 hours.  If not, please remind me.

• 14. Re: New NUCs capable of passing through Atmos?
                                    nucblog.net

Thanks for your help cvare!

Yamaha RX-V577 and TX-NR626 are both HDMI 1.4 amps, whereas Yamaha RX-A850, Pioneer LX-59, Marantz SR6010 and Denon X3200w are all HDMI 2.0 amps. Not sure if this means anything, but would you be able to test with a HDMI 2.0 capable amp just to remove any doubt?

And yes, I also believe it'll be enough if you see on the display of the amp which audio format is received.

1 2 3 Previous Next