7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2017 11:18 AM by Intel Corporation

BIOS / Driver updates for NUC7i3BNH

Wighnut

Hi everyone

So i ordered the new i3 NUC 7th gen to use a an HTPC. Just to be able to jump right in there I thought I'd ask these questions before I actually get it. I'd rather not brick the device on the first day.

In the BIOS section of the download center for the NUC there is a note:

NOTE: In order to update the BIOS of NUC7i3BNK/H (Baby Canyon) to BIOS version 0031,
      it is mandatory to update to BIOS 4026 first, then BIOS 0031.

At the moment I obviously don't know the BIOS version the product is shipped with but assume it's not 4026. In case it isn't, where would I find that update? I plan to use the iFlash method as it allows me to install the OS on the latest BIOS version. Anyone had any issues?

On a related note. Did anyone run into problems updating the drivers with the driver update utility? It might be better to do it manually via the download center?

Finally. What exactly are the advantages of the Integrator Toolkit?

Thanks for your answers.

• 1. Re: BIOS / Driver updates for NUC7i3BNH
          MartyG

There are two ways to get the BIOS version in Windows 10 without having to access the BIOS options themselves.

1.  In the 'Type or speak to me' text box on the bottom of the Windows screen (next to the button you use to shut the PC off), type in the word command to find the Command Prompt application.  This is a text interface for Windows.

In the command prompt window, paste the following command in,

wmic bios get smbiosbiosversion

2.jpg

The other method is:

2.  Into the same 'Type or speak to me' box, put the phrase system info to find the System Information application, which displays the details of your PC's configuration.  In the 'BIOS version / date' category, it will display your current BIOS version.

1.jpg

• 2. Re: BIOS / Driver updates for NUC7i3BNH
            Wighnut

Thanks for the reply.

I'll have to check the version in the BIOS itself anyway if I plan to update it before actually installing the OS. Although I suppose it doesn't really matter which I do first. I'll check once I actually get the NUC.

• 3. Re: BIOS / Driver updates for NUC7i3BNH
              MartyG

I managed to track down the download page for NUC BIOS version 0031.

Download BIOS Update [BNKBL357.86A]

The download page recommends using the Express BIOS setup option.  The zip file in the Available Downloads sidebar for this installation file is

BNKBL357.86A.0031.EB.zip

I note that you want to use iFlash.  The download file for that is:

BNKBL357.86A.0031.BI.zip

As for locating BIOS 4026 ... it does not seem to exist, even in general Google searches.  I suspect there may be a typo in the instructions and it actually meant 0026, since that NUC BIOS number did exist and was used on 2014-era Haswell architecture models. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: BIOS / Driver updates for NUC7i3BNH
                N.Scott.Pearson

When you see a BIOS number like 4026, this usually means that this is a re-release of BIOS 26 with some specific patches added to it. If it is not posted in the Download Center, it is likely because most folks do not need access to it. Only in very rare (emergency) situations will Intel distribute a patched BIOS release and, if this happens, it is usually done directly; not via the Download Center. I can see from the BIOS 31 release notes that it was declared to be the first production BIOS. This means that the BN NUCs will ship with this particular BIOS (or perhaps, over time, an even newer one) already installed. Likely only those folks who received pre-production units will need to actually install BIOS 31.

The iFlash, F7 and EBU (Express BIOS Update) methods for installing the firmware are all essentially the same. The firmware installation capsules contained within a .BIO file are placed into memory and the system is restarted. During the subsequent POST (Power-On Self-Test), the (existing) BIOS sees that valid installation capsules are present in memory and it installs the contents of these capsules as appropriate. What you are downloading depends upon what installation method you are going to use:

• For the (recommended by me) F7 method, you are downloading just the .BIO file. You place it on a flash disk and, while reboot the system press the F7 key and use the subsequent dialog to point to the flash disk and to select this .BIO file.
                • For the iFlash method, you are downloading a .ZIP file that contains the iFlash executable and the .BIO file. You place these files onto a DOS-bootable flash disk and boot from this disk. Once booted, you run the iFlash tool specifying the name of the .BIO file.
                • In the EBU case, the BIO file is built into the (Windows) executable image and loaded from there. You download the .ZIP file, extract the executable and run it.

See here for more information: Intel NUC BIOS Update Instructions. There is, of course, a fourth method for installing a .BIO file, namely the Recovery Method. While the installation process is essentially the same, the methods used to install the capsules and the rules applied with respect to versions allowed, etc. is very different. See here for more information: Intel NUC BIOS Recovery Update Instructions.

Hope this helps,

...S

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: BIOS / Driver updates for NUC7i3BNH
                  MartyG

Great information, S.  I've noted it for future reference.  Thanks so much for that. 

• 6. Re: BIOS / Driver updates for NUC7i3BNH
                    Wighnut

Everything I needed to know. Very helpful thanks.

• 7. Re: BIOS / Driver updates for NUC7i3BNH
                      Intel Corporation
                      This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello:

Thank you very much to and to for providing all the information above.

To :

We are glad to hear the information posted previously was useful for you, and I just wanted to check if you need further assistance on this matter?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto