1 2 3 4 Previous Next 59 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2017 3:05 PM by JBress

Queencreek causing NT Kernel errors - Intel is at fault

glnz

SInce a recent Intel Driver Update run, each bootup of my Win 7 Pro 64-bit generates these errors and warnings - and please do not ask me for generic information - others have this problem and I want Intel to fix this.

Log Name:  Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing/Admin
      Source:    Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing
      Date:      2/4/2017 9:52:44 PM
      Event ID:  3

Task Category: Session

Level:     Error
      Keywords:  Session
      User:      SYSTEM
      Computer:  WINDOWS-B686H5R

Description:

Session "NT Kernel Logger" stopped due to the following error: 0xC0000188

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing" Guid="{B675EC37-BDB6-4648-BC92-F3FDC74D3CA2}" />
      <EventID>3</EventID>
      <Version>0</Version>
      <Level>2</Level>
      <Task>2</Task>
      <Opcode>14</Opcode>
      <Keywords>0x8000000000000010</Keywords>
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-02-05T02:52:44.748453100Z" />
      <EventRecordID>171</EventRecordID>
      <Correlation />
      <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="188" />
      <Channel>Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing/Admin</Channel>
      <Computer>WINDOWS-B686H5R</Computer>
      <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data Name="SessionName">NT Kernel Logger</Data>
      <Data Name="FileName">C:\ProgramData\Intel\SUR\QUEENCREEK\IntelData\temp\2017_01_28__15_57_17_boot.etl</Data>
      <Data Name="ErrorCode">3221225864</Data>
      <Data Name="LoggingMode">5</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

Log Name: 

Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing/Admin
      Source:    Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing
      Date:      2/4/2017 9:52:44 PM
      Event ID:  4

Task Category: Logging

Level:     Warning
      Keywords:  Session
      User:      SYSTEM
      Computer:  WINDOWS-B686H5R

Description:

The maximum file size for session "NT Kernel Logger" has been reached. As a result, events might be lost (not logged) to file "C:\ProgramData\Intel\SUR\QUEENCREEK\IntelData\temp\2017_01_28__15_57_17_boot.etl". The maximum files size is currently set to 104857600 bytes.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing" Guid="{B675EC37-BDB6-4648-BC92-F3FDC74D3CA2}" />
      <EventID>4</EventID>
      <Version>0</Version>
      <Level>3</Level>
      <Task>1</Task>
      <Opcode>10</Opcode>
      <Keywords>0x8000000000000010</Keywords>
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-02-05T02:52:44.748453100Z" />
      <EventRecordID>170</EventRecordID>
      <Correlation />
      <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="188" />
      <Channel>Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing/Admin</Channel>
      <Computer>WINDOWS-B686H5R</Computer>
      <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data Name="SessionName">NT Kernel Logger</Data>
      <Data Name="FileName">C:\ProgramData\Intel\SUR\QUEENCREEK\IntelData\temp\2017_01_28__15_57_17_boot.etl</Data>
      <Data Name="ErrorCode">3221225864</Data>
      <Data Name="LoggingMode">5</Data>
      <Data Name="MaxFileSize">104857600</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

As I said, I do NOT want Intel to ask me any questions - I have a normal Dell Optiplex with plenty of RAM, and this is Intel's fault.

• 1. Re: Queencreek causing NT Kernel errors - Intel is at fault
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello :

I just wanted to let you know that for this type of product we always recommend to use the drivers provided by the manufacturer, in this case Dell, also one of the steps to try to get rid of those error messages will be to do a BIOS update to the latest version and also to re-install the chipset driver or to re-install Windows:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19

We do have a specific site where you will be able to get further suggestions from different peers to try to fix this problem, so before trying the steps above please submit your inquiry on the following site:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forum

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

• 2. Re: Queencreek causing NT Kernel errors - Intel is at fault
            glnz

Alberto - thanks for a reply, but, really, your reply is not an answer - not helpful at all.  Your links go nowhere useful.  One of them comes to the generic start page of this forum!!

I don't know exactly how I got stuck with this Queencreek energy saver that I don't want.  If it was your Driver Update Utility, it was not mentioned.  If it was that weird recent Intel update in Microsoft Updates, nothing was explained.

I did not voluntarily or knowingly download or install Queencreek.  Intel did it to me without consent.

How do I get rid of it safely?

My CPU is Core i5 3470.

My NIC is 82579LM.

My chipset/motherboard includes Intel Southbridge Model Q77

I am dual-booting Win 7 Pro 64-bit and Win 10 Pro 64-bit.

How do I get rid of it?

Please do not blabber a reply or copy form your generic script.  Please give me the correct answer.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Queencreek causing NT Kernel errors - Intel is at fault
              Intel Corporation

Hello :

You are welcome.

Thank you very much for letting us know that information.

First of all I just wanted to apologize for any inconvenience you might have experienced in order to try to fix this problem.

At this point I will start an investigation in order to find out if there is another site or department that will be able to further assist you in trying to resolve the issue or if we can get a possible solution to try to get rid of it.

As soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

In the time, since you mentioned the problem started after an Intel(R) driver update,  I just wanted to check if you remember the driver version that was previously installed that did not show this problem? This in order to try to install that driver again.

Thank you for your patience.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

• 4. Re: Queencreek causing NT Kernel errors - Intel is at fault
                Baalix

I also have this problem, with Windows 10 64Bit Version 1607 (Build 14393.693)!

Please give me a meaningful answer.

Greeting Claus

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Queencreek causing NT Kernel errors - Intel is at fault
                  Intel Corporation

Hello :

I just wanted to let you know that I received an update on the research we are doing on this matter.

According to that information, the service appears to be linked to any of the following services:

Intel® Driver Update Utility: This program is installed by the customer or by the manufacturer of the computer.

Please follow the next steps:

Please enter the control panel look for "Programs and Features" and uninstall this application.
                  Once the application is removed, please go to "C:\ProgramData\Intel\" and delete the "SUN" folder. Note: "ProgramData" is normally a hidden folder.

In order to make that file visible, please follow the instructions on the next link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14201/windows-show-hidden-files

Intel® Energy Checker: Intel does not install this by default, but it can be deployed by the manufacturer of the computer since they can develop energy management/conservation applications that rely on this service.

Please follow the next steps:

Please enter the control panel look for "Programs and Features" and uninstall it if it appears in there.

Also, you can try to use using "msconfig" an verify in the "Startup" tab, to uncheck the service so it will not start at the operating system boot

Click on Windows Start, click on "Run" and type "services.msc" and search from the list Intel Energy Checker. Right-click on it and select "Properties". Change the Startup type to "Manual".

Please let me know the results of trying the steps above.

Regards

Alberto

• 6. Re: Queencreek causing NT Kernel errors - Intel is at fault
                    glnz

Alberto - thanks for coming back here with some reply, which might even be helpful.

But first, why do you write in this strange, stilted way?  You write like a bad Hollywood version of AI.

I've read your message above a few times, and this is my translation - please confirm or explain what I have wrong with each step, and like a normal person:

1)  Are you saying I should UNinstall Intel® Driver Update Utility ?  Why?

2)  If you want me to UNinstall Intel® Driver Update Utility, please explain who should should use it.  Nobody?  What's it for?

3)  You wrote above "Once the application is removed, please go to "C:\ProgramData\Intel\" and delete the "SUN" folder.".

a)  When you write "Once the application is removed," do you mean "Once Intel® Driver Update Utility is removed"?

b)  On my PC, the folder is "SUR", not "SUN".  Did you mean I should delete the "SUR" folder?

4)  "Intel® Energy Checker" does NOT appear in my Programs and Features and does NOT appear in my services.msc.   Does this mean anything?  What does it mean that I have SUR/QUEENCREEK but not Intel® Energy Checker?

5)  Per your instructions, I am only deleting the folder "C:\ProgramData\Intel\SUR", I am not deleting any application related to Queencreek.  This does not feel like a complete solution.  Are you sure this is correct?  Won't my PC still try to do something and only be frustrated by the missing folder?  Won't I get new error messages?

Alberto - these errors are Intel's fault.  Please go back to the engineering humans and give us some real information.  What is Queencreek, and why are we getting our error messages?

This time, can you please respond faster than a month?

Thanks.

• 7. Re: Queencreek causing NT Kernel errors - Intel is at fault
                      Intel Corporation

Hello :

You are welcome.

First of all, let me apologize if you had any inconvenience reading the information posted previously.

In regard to your questions:

Are you saying I should UNinstall Intel® Driver Update Utility ?  Why?

Yes, based on the research we did, in order to remove the error messages and warnings we recommend to uninstall the Intel® Driver Update Utility.

This is because according to the results that error message appears to be linked to the Intel® Driver Update Utility or Intel® Energy Checker, that is why we recommend to un-install it or disable it.

If you want me to UNinstall Intel® Driver Update Utility, please explain who should use it.  Nobody?  What's it for?

The tool is used to install the latest Intel drivers available, it was design to work with Intel motherboards. You can always use it even if it is not an Intel board, but in those cases the tool might not be that accurate in finding and installing the proper drivers.

When you write "Once the application is removed," do you mean "Once Intel® Driver Update Utility is removed"?

Yes, that is correct.

On my PC, the folder is "SUR", not "SUN".  Did you mean I should delete the "SUR" folder?

We will continue with our research in order to confirm that information.

"Intel® Energy Checker" does NOT appear in my Programs and Features and does NOT appear in my services.msc.   Does this mean anything?

No, that is fine, if the program is not showing there, then please disregard the steps provided above related to it, the service is not install by default, so the fact that is not showing there is normal, the steps were provide in the case you installed it before.

What does it mean that I have SUR/QUEENCREEK but not Intel® Energy Checker?

We will also do further research on this matter.

Per your instructions, I am only deleting the folder "C:\ProgramData\Intel\SUR", I am not deleting any application related to Queencreek.  This does not feel like a complete solution. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, that was the conclusion after doing a review on this case, those are the first steps to try to fix the problem, there might be more steps needed if the problem persists after that. Please do not remove the SUUR folder yet, we will confirm if that is the correct name, and then I will answer your question.

Won't my PC still try to do something and only be frustrated by the missing folder?  Won't I get new error messages? What is Queencreek, and why are we getting our error messages?

I will be able to provide a response for this inquiry once I get updates from our research.

Once again, let me apologize for any inconvenience and the lateness, as soon as I get any details I will post the information you requested on this thread.

Regards

Alberto

• 8. Re: Queencreek causing NT Kernel errors - Intel is at fault
                        glnz

This problem is NOT FIXED.

1)  I UNinstalled Intel Driver Update Utility, and I deleted the SUR folder indicated above.  The SUR folder recreated itself on the next reboot, with the QUEENCREEK sub-folder and the xxx boot.etl file.

2)  On each restart, I continue to get Event Viewer error messages like this:

The maximum file size for session "NT Kernel Logger" has been reached. As a result, events might be lost (not logged) to file "C:\ProgramData\Intel\SUR\QUEENCREEK\IntelData\temp\2017_01_28__15_57_17_boot.etl".

This problem is NOT FIXED.

• 9. Re: Queencreek causing NT Kernel errors - Intel is at fault
                          Al Hill

I do not have this problem, and I have installed and uninstalled the Intel Driver Update utility (which is intended for Intel boards and products) on two machines running Windows 7; one x32, and one x64.

Doc

• 10. Re: Queencreek causing NT Kernel errors - Intel is at fault
                            glnz

Al - Do you have a folder and file like this:

"C:\ProgramData\Intel\SUR\QUEENCREEK\IntelData\temp\2017_01_28__15_57_17_boot.etl"  ?

Thanks.

• 12. Re: Queencreek causing NT Kernel errors - Intel is at fault
                              glnz

Alberto - these CONTINUING errors are Intel's fault.  Other people also have them - they have posted elsewhere - with no solution.

Please go back to the engineering humans and give us some real information.

What is Queencreek, and why are we getting our error messages?

This time, can you please respond faster than a month?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              • 13. Re: Queencreek causing NT Kernel errors - Intel is at fault
                                Intel Corporation

Hello :

Sure, we will do further research on this matter.

As soon as I get any updates I will post all the information on this thread.

Regards

Alberto

• 14. Re: Queencreek causing NT Kernel errors - Intel is at fault
                                  Al Hill

glnz,

The Intel support staff and engineering team, humans just as you are, are working on the issue.  In terms of response time, you just took 3 weeks to respond to one of the answers they provided.  Also, you seem more concerned about declaring who is at fault and placing blame rather than working the issue.

I added to this thread because I did not have the same results as you on two of my machines.  Both of the motherboards are Intel, your machine is a Dell.  So, something is clearly wrong.  I have seen many users attempt to correct problems, using many methods and registry hacks, delving into areas where they should not, which make the problem worse before they go to the manufacturer for support.  If you have done any modifications or attempts to fix this issue before you contacted Intel support, describe what you did.

As I mentioned previously, the Intel Driver Update Utility is intended for Intel products:  Intel® Driver Update Utility FAQs

Specifically,

What is the Intel® Driver Update Utility?

This utility identifies both Intel driver and 3rd-party driver updates for a variety of Intel® products, such as Intel® Desktop Boards, Intel® NUC, and Intel® Compute Sticks, and makes it easy to download and install them.

There may well be an issue with this utility and your Dell.   Perhaps if you had researched the FAQ on the IDDU, this issue could have been avoided.  Also, before I install any utility, I take a checkpoint.  If I do not like the utility or it causes a problem, I rollback to the checkpoint and the problem never existed.  Experienced users find this method valuable when trying utilities.

Lastly, a little respect for those who are trying to help you.  Your machine is still running, the events are not fatal.  Just be patient and work with the Intel staff.  If the events really bother you that much, in the past 52 days, while complaining about humans, response time, and who is to blame, you could have rebuilt your PC and moved on with life.  A little decorum will go a long way to help you.  Its absence can invite a response from forum management.

Doc

I am not an Intel employee or contractor, and opinions are my own.

1 of 2 people found this helpful
                                  1 2 3 4 Previous Next