4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2017 2:48 AM by casiojikl

Intel HD Graphics 530 - Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered

casiojikl

I have recently ordered the following components to build a new PC:

Asus H170-PRO/USB 3.1
      Intel Core i5-6500
      HyperX FURY Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) Memory Kit - HX421C14FBK2/8
      Enermax Elt400Awt Liberty 400W Atx Power Supply
      Crucial CT128MX100SSD1 128GB

The PC is built and has a clean install of Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit, all the latest drivers from the Asus support page are installed.

However I am getting issues with the display driver constantly crashing. Anything I do seems to cause the driver to crash, opening settings, opening edge, moving a windows etc. The following entry shows in the System section of Windows Logs in event viewer:

EventID: 4101
      Source: Display
      “Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.”

If I plug the PC in to the mains and turn it on the graphics driver constantly crashes.
      If I then power off the PC from within Windows then turn it on using the power button the graphics driver does not crash.
      If I click Start > Power > Restart in windows, once the PC has restarted then the graphics driver constantly crashes.
      If I then click Start > Power > Sleep in Windows then wake the PC the graphics driver does not crash.

I am using a Dell S2309W monitor connected by DVI-D (single link) cable to the motherboard.

I have tried all of the following and the issue still occurs:

Removing all devices apart from DVI cable/Ethernet cable/Power/Mouse/Keyboard
      Changing RAM Dimm sockets / Using only 1 stick of ram at a time
      A clean install of Windows 10
      All of the following Intel HD 530 display drivers – 15.40.26.4463, 15.40.14.4501, 15.45.10.4542, 15.45.12.4552
      Updating the motherboard bios version to the latest
      3 different monitors
      All inputs on the back of the motherboard – DVI-D/DisplayPort/HDMI

Is this a driver issue or is it point more toward faulty hardware? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Please see above

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")

Always (100%):

Often (51-99%): X

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Asus H170-PRO/USB 3.1
      Intel Core i5-6500
      HyperX FURY Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) Memory Kit - HX421C14FBK2/8
      Enermax Elt400Awt Liberty 400W Atx Power Supply
      Crucial CT128MX100SSD1 128GB

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?
      ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

No

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below).
      LFP
      = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)
      EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

Dell S2309W EFP

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

8GB

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.
      ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

Hardware Stepping (see note1 below).

See attachement

Software (SW)

Operating System version (see note2 below).

Windows 10 Enterprise 64 bit

VBIOS (video BIOS) version. This can be found in “information page” of CUI (right click on Desktop and select “Graphics Properties”.

Graphics Driver version; for both integrated Intel and 3rd party vendors (see note2 below).

SW or Apps version used to replicate the issue.

Edge, Settings, anything

Configurations

Single display, clone, or extended (see note2 below).

Single

Display resolution & refresh rate setting of each display (see note2 below).

1920x1080 @ 60hz

AC or DC mode, i.e. is power cable plugged in or not?

Plugged in

How to repro

Please provide steps to replicate the issue.  These steps are very crucial to finding the root cause and fix.
      A screenshot to illustrate the issue is a huge plus. A video of the failure is even better! Attach to the post or provide the YouTube link.

If I plug the PC in to the mains and turn it on the graphics driver constantly crashes.
      If I then power off the PC from within Windows then turn it on using the power button the graphics driver does not crash.
      If I click Start > Power > Restart in windows, once the PC has restarted then the graphics driver constantly crashes.
      If I then click Start > Power > Sleep in Windows then wake the PC the graphics driver does not crash.