6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2017 12:30 PM by johnelle

Spinning up the RTF

BethanySciences

My RTF came yesterday.  No problem seeing where the money went - very high-quality kit especially tuned and ready to fly.

Changed out the connector to a Deans Plug - (old school), powered it up, tested the motors and hooked up to QGroundControl

Flight tests delayed until tomorrow - too much wind today.  Reports right after.

Per the specs, using this battery:  Gens ace LiPo Battery Pack 4000mAh 11.1V 25C 4S with Deans Plug from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011QFMISO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

UAV.jpg

• 1. Re: Spinning up the RTF
          MartyG

Thanks for sharing your drone build, Bethany!  Looking forward to your flight test report. 

• 2. Re: Spinning up the RTF
            BethanySciences

Thanks Marty.

• 3. Re: Spinning up the RTF
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi BethanySciences,

The drone looks great! Let’s hope the weather improves so you can test it soon. Feel free to share your experience with the community.

-Sergio A.

• 4. Re: Spinning up the RTF
                BethanySciences

A few short flight tests today with observations.

• Make sure switches are where they need to be.  Got a bit squirrely so set the rates back and was unable to disarm the motors.
                • Balance is important to stable flight.
                • QGroundControl had mixed success on 3 platforms (iMac, MacBook, iPad)
                • WiFi via Aero AP is pretty slow to connect with the AC radios in the above systems
                • Basic flights went as expected.
                • My UAV is one rev old - planning to flash bios and image in the next few days - hopefully, this will clear up some of these issues.

Keeping notes on:

+ flight procedures

+ updating the software

+ part replacements

+ specifications

prettied them up a bit and started a repository on github with a wiki for updates...

Some folks may find the info useful - happy to take feedback and/or pulls.....

https://github.com/bethanysciences/Intel-Aero

A few useful images too.

IMG_0022.JPG

Intel-Aero-Board.jpg

IMG_0019.JPG

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Spinning up the RTF
                  MartyG

You're being excellently scientific with your testing and documentation, Bethany.  I'm sure it'll be an invaluable reference source for others following in your footsteps!

• 6. Re: Spinning up the RTF
                    johnelle

Any chance you could provide more details on:

• QGroundControl had mixed success on 3 platforms (iMac, MacBook, iPad)
                    • WiFi via Aero AP is pretty slow to connect with the AC radios in the above systems

I only have an hour or so experience with this and just did a power up w/o props (flies great ;-) .  I am just curious about the downlinking since I live in the land of trees and find the Phantom's stream video pretty invaluable.

I am guessing you are using a wifi signal off the drone to downlink to QGroundControl running on a laptop(?)