Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20495 Discussions

intel 4600 dramatically darkens colors

SZ4
Beginner

Hello,

I have searched extensively but I cannot seem to find a solution.

I have a Intel Hd Graphics 4600 that is currently on 20.19.15.4549. This is what was recommended to download by another program, and none of the driver downloads on the Intel site actually work for my computer. I also have a Nvidia, but it doesn't control the colors like the Intel does. I use Windows 10 on a Acer Aspire V15 Nitro.

I did not notice until now, but a few days ago I moved my game to my second monitor and noticed that I could see all the dark spots, and they were not just pure black areas. It turns out I see colors drastically different, with black crush (I've found and assumed is the term) affecting a huge portion of the dark colors I see. Even saturated colors are dramatically darkened, to the point where I had no idea they were even saturated until recently when I started looking at things through my second monitor.

I have tried adjusting the gamma, which helps blacks, but then I have a sort of white cast over everything else, which is bothersome. Adjusting the brightness and contrast along with it has produced no results, because the white cast remains and everything else but the blacks looks washed out.

I have tried disabling the Intel driver which let me see that my monitor could show the correct colors, but I cannot continue doing so because I need to adjust brightness as well as resolution and use my second monitor. From that, I figure that the Intel driver is what is causing all my darker colors to drastically show as dim.

I am not sure where to go from here, because the Intel driver seems to be the only thing giving me an issue with the colors, but I cannot adjust it to show blacks properly without every other color looking 'white'.

0 Kudos
19 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello venn,

Have you tried installing our latest Intel® HD Graphics version https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26229/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-15-40-4th-Gen-?product=81496 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 [15.40][4th Gen]? I recommend installing this version with the following method; http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html Manually Install an Intel® Graphics Driver in Windows® 10 and Windows...

What is the name of the game you are playing?

Does the issue only happen while gaming?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
SZ4
Beginner

Hello, thanks for reply.

The game is FFXIV, however, even outside of the game, the problem persists. The only reason I mention the game is because I would never have realized it anywhere else, since I thought that was just the way all images were colored. Any images I view whether through a browser or using windows preview has changed colors. Photoshop's color wheel and subsequent colors I use are also darkened.

For the graphics driver, I cannot install any graphics driver past 20.19.15.4549, doing the method you recommended simply tells me I have the best driver software for my device already installed. Alternatively, asking to choose gives me a list of older drivers. Any of the other recent drivers will tell me it isn't validated, or something of the sort. I can't install any of the newer drivers past 2015.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

venn, please try with the method mention below;

1. Login with administrator privileges

2. Open Control Panel

3. Open Device Manager

4. Click on "Display adapters"

5. Double click "Intel HD Graphics"

6. Click on the "Driver" tab

7. Click on "Update Driver" button

8. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software"

9. Click on "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"

10. Click on "Have Disk" button

11. Click "Browse"

12. Navigate to the folder that you unzipped the Intel HD Graphics driver to

13. Navigate to the Graphics sub-folder

14. Double click the igdlh64.inf or igdlh.inf file <-- depends on if you have 32 or 64 bit OS

15. Click "OK"

16. Click "Next", Driver should now be installing.

17. If successful, click "Close", Reboot.

Let me know how it goes, this method should ensure the installation so, please follow it closely.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
SZ4
Beginner

Hello, this method has worked, and now my driver is on 20.19.15.4501. I do not see a difference however, attached are images of what Sample 3 looks like on my laptop with the intel and on a monitor connected to the laptop with an hdmi cable. There are incredible differences in the vibrancy of the shadows. The first image is a good example of how any dark colors I see are amplified, like the shadow in the background on the ground is just slightly blue when it has much more depth in the second image.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Which of the two screenshots is from your Laptop?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
SZ4
Beginner

The first one, all settings are at default.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for the clarification.

Have checked if you see the same quality picture with a different TV or monitor?

What is your monitor model and the HDMI cable model?

You mentioned that on your screen showed dark spots; do you see them with the new driver installed?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
SZ4
Beginner

Hello, unfortunately I cannot check any other monitors at this time. However, I could see just from phones and other devices that my colors were different.

My monitor is a HP 2311x and the HDMI cable is a MediaBridge High Speed HDMI. I don't know what model it is.

Yes. The dark spots I was referring to are just 'areas in the game' (FFXIV) such as caves or whatnot, where there were visible textures on my monitor, but complete pitch black on my laptop. A lot of the darker areas in the game are just pitch black and do not show the textures or objects that I know actually exist there once I checked the game on my monitor.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Have you tried using the driver from Acer?

Is there any chance you can screenshot the dark spots while playing FFXIV?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
SZ4
Beginner

The original driver from Acer is what I have been using all along until recently.

I can't screenshot it because it will show differently on monitors, but here are images with a camera:

laptop screen (you can't see the textures on the wall, the gate is barely visible)

monitor (textures are visible, actually clearly on the screen but difficult to tell here)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Do you remember the last time that the game worked fine?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
SZ4
Beginner

I believe it was always like this, I just never had anything to compare it to and thought that dark quality was normal.

Also, after the upgrade to the newest driver from earlier in this thread, I've been having an issue where randomly, my screen will show a "stuck" line of some part of the screen, though if I move/scroll down, the stuck line goes away. Should I reinstall the driver?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes, you could reinstall it, but we could try with an older driver and see the results. Try this one; https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25951/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-15-40-4th-Gen-?product=81496 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 [15.40][4th Gen], use the method mentioned above.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
SZ4
Beginner

Hi, this did not seem to fix the problem, I still get the strange lines left behind. My colors also remain darker on the laptop screen, there was no change in regards to colors.

Another example of the problem below, moving windows leaves behind "lines" (from the edge of the window?) of the movement direction.

Even something like this t from the tumblr loading screens (to edit a theme) is leaving behind these leftover lines. The t moves up and down to represent loading.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/110873 venn, I apologize for the delay.

I have been reviewing your thread, and at this stage this can be narrowed to the embedded display. You were able to check that the issues did not occur when using the external monitor, so this could is related to the laptop screen. Have you tried getting in contact with Acer regarding the darken colors?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/110873 venn, hope you were able to check my last input.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
SZ4
Beginner

Sorry for the wait. I have not, because I realized that when I disabled the intel driver the colors did show up correctly, however I can't do that as screen resolutions don't work without the intel driver.

I can go ahead and contact Acer as well, however I think that my secondary new issue with the streaks across my screen is still limited to the intel driver as it occurs on both screens, and only came up recently after the installation of that newest driver, and reverting back has not fixed it.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/110873 venn, yes in this case I would strongly recommend contacting them, this could very well be an issue with the panel itself. I understand your concern about the Intel® HD Graphics driver, and I want to let you know that our driver sends values to the panel, and due to a possible hardware issue the panel is showing them incorrectly. Plus, colors work fine on the external monitor.

Please let me know how that goes.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/110873 venn, were you able to contact Acer? What did they recommend?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos