8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2017 1:03 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

NUC7i3BNH optical out

Matish

I'm trying to get audio passthrough to my receiver using an optical cable. I've connected the mini toslink to the 3.5mm out but nothing is happening. The receiver  doesn't seem to recognize any signal coming in.

I saw in the specs that this model supports digital out via toslink.

What am I doing wrong?

• 1. Re: NUC7i3BNH optical out
          N.Scott.Pearson

Windows will only support one audio output stream. If you have a monitor/TV connected that has speaker outputs, this audio output stream will be selected by default. To enable TOSLink as the audio output stream, right-click on the Speaker icon in the System Tray and select Playback Devices. Then, right-click on the (normally Speakers) entry for the Realtek HD Audio device and click Test. If this is the stream for the TOSLink output and you have a receiver connected, you should hear it play. If it does, right-click on this entry again and select Set as Default Communication Device. If you don't hear it play, however, try one of the other entries and repeat until you find the right one.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 2. Re: NUC7i3BNH optical out
            Matish

I switched to the Realtek hd audio but still no sound. When I plug in the mini toslink the NUC recognizes that a cable was connected and lets me choose between mic/headset/headphones. Both headset and headphones options are only stereo, no surround option available. It doesn't matter which one I choose, the receiver will not play anything.

Is it possible to play surround sound using the 3.5mm optical out? On my previous HTPC I simply selected "signal passthrough" and the reciever played in DD and DTS.

Kind regards,

Mat

• 3. Re: NUC7i3BNH optical out
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi,

Please try the following drivers:

Bios version 0031

Realtek ALC* Audio Driver 6.0.1.7982

Intel® HD graphics driver version 4552

Additionally, you could try Scott's suggestion.

Allan.

• 4. Re: NUC7i3BNH optical out
                Matish

Hi,

I'm using the above mentioned drivers but still no surround.

When I run the Realtek HD audio manager on the right side of the screen there's a picture of the 3.5mm jack with the word ANALOG above it, there's no DIGITAL or OPTICAL option. The only speaker configuration available is stereo.

Whatever I choose there's no sound coming from the receive no red light in the optical cable.

Are you sure the front 3.5mm jack is also a digital output supporting optical mini toslink?

• 5. Re: NUC7i3BNH optical out
                  allan_intel

I have read the first post and I see you have a Digital (toslink to 3.5mm) cable, the problem is that you are converting digital audio to analog, this means Stereo only.

See the picture attached of the Audio specifications for this Intel® NUC, also check page 28 of the technical product

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/NUC7i3BNB_TechProdSpec.pdf

3.5mm.PNG

Hope this information is helpful.

Please do let me know if you need further assistance with your Intel product, I will be glad to assist you.

Allan.

• 6. Re: NUC7i3BNH optical out
                    Intel Corporation
                    This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Did you find the previous information helpful?
                    In case you need more assistance or if you have any questions do not hesitate to contact us back.

Allan.

• 7. Re: NUC7i3BNH optical out
                      MarkDirac

I reckon Allan's answer is wrong, and I reckon even Scott has missed the point. To answer Matish "Are you sure the front 3.5mm jack is also a digital output supporting optical mini toslink?" I reckon the answer is...

... this NUC has no optical digital / Toslink output.

It's as simple as that. Certainly, the product spec referred to makes no mention of any optical digital / Toslink output.

I am puzzled. Why would this be? Why would a product aimed to a large extent at the home theatre market not have an optical digital output?

Apologies to Scott if I am wrong - if so I will write out "blower" 100 times as penance.

(Many PCs have a 3.5mm socket which is both an electrical analog output and is also an optical digital Toslink output. Some/many NUCs have this type of socket.)

• 8. Re: NUC7i3BNH optical out
                        N.Scott.Pearson

Mark is absolutely correct! (but he still has to do blower penance)

I was staring at an AY unit - and seeing the word Optical in its silkscreening - and simply assumed that the same applied to the BN unit. Well, it doesn't; shame on me for assuming. In my NUC testing, I use DVI monitors without embedded speakers. I also refuse to connect speakers to the front of a NUC (the cable can get in the way then). If there is no rear audio connector on a NUC, I use a USB audio device, plugged into the rear of the unit, instead - and that's what I have connected to the BN unit. Bottom line, I never looked closely at the front panel audio connectors because I refuse to use them (well, I might for headphones, but never for speakers). Well, now I have looked closely - and there's no TOSLink support.

Since my curiosity was sparked, I took a look at the previous NUC generations. Only those that have audio connectors on the rear panel support TOSLink. Going by the silkscreening, none say Optical on the front panel. I backed this up by scanning the entire set of TPS for the NUCs. Bottom line, if you want an optical audio output, you need to look at only those NUCs that support a rear panel audio connector. The units that provide such a rear panel connector are: NUC6i7KYK, NUC6CAYS, NUC5PGYH, NUC5CPYH and NUC5PPYH.

...S

1 of 1 people found this helpful