9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2017 4:34 PM by Marco-Giana

Recommended LiPo for AERO RTF Drone

Ender1618

I just received my AERO RTF Drone.

The manual says the recommended LiPo to be a 4S 4500mah.

What kind of discharge rating for the battery is recommended?

Is 45C enough?

-Ryan

• 1. Re: Recommended LiPo for AERO RTF Drone
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for your interest in the Intel® Aero Platform.

We would like to investigate a little bit more regarding your inquiry and as soon as we find helpful information we’ll let you know.

We’ll appreciate your patience during the meantime.

Regards,
          -Yermi A.

• 2. Re: Recommended LiPo for AERO RTF Drone
            BrandonWKing

Hi Intel,

Part of the answer to this question is the amp draw of the ESC. Also, calculations of thrust will need information about the props, motors and ESC. Currently intel is not providing this information. With it the community could figure out the best LiPo for the quadcopter.

Please publish the specs of the motors, ESC, and prop pitch angle. This should help as a reference: https://oscarliang.com/quadcopter-motor-propeller/

Edit: This link may also be useful for those trying to figure out the LiPo recommendation once we have the specs we need: https://oscarliang.com/how-to-choose-battery-for-quadcopter-multicopter/

-Brandon

Edit: Started a new thread: Request for Motor, ESC, and Propeller specs

• 3. Re: Recommended LiPo for AERO RTF Drone
              Intel Corporation

Hi guys,

Brandon thanks for sharing it here, we are working on your other thread too and we’ll be updating you there.

Ryan, we have been investigating and in order to choose the correct battery discharge rate, we will need to know the power consumption of the Aero RTF (ESC, motors, etc.), currently we are working on that information and we hope to have them available soon. Nevertheless, if you choose a battery with 45C and a capacity of 4500mAh would have a safety value of 202.5A, so the device connected to that battery could load up to 202.5A safety. I don’t think the Aero RTF draws 200A, so the battery with discharge rating at 45C would be enough.

Hope this information helps.

Regards,
              -Yermi A.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Recommended LiPo for AERO RTF Drone
                zoejif

Just wanted to share my experience. I'm flying it with 3S 2200mAh battery with 65C-130C discharge rate and getting about 9min flight time out of it.

• 5. Re: Recommended LiPo for AERO RTF Drone
                  Intel Corporation

Hi Zoejif,

Thanks for sharing your experience in the community, it will help other users too.

Regards,
                  -Yermi A.

• 6. Re: Recommended LiPo for AERO RTF Drone
                    DGeise

I had to discharge a battery so I strapped my Aero down to the test bench and connected the 3S/2200 battery thru a power meter.  I measured 10A, 250 Watts @ 100% throttle (props on of course).  That's under 5C discharge rate, so low-discharge rated batteries (usually around 10C) should work fine.  4S battery results should be similar.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Recommended LiPo for AERO RTF Drone
                      zoejif

I just did my own tests and got much higher numbers. I used the heaviest battery I own: 637g (3S, 10000mAh 15C LiPo) to measure the highest possible current and did a real flight test: ascend, free fall and then catching it up with full throttle just above the ground. Maximum current registered: 31.34Amps (see picture). Yet it was indoors, so a longer flight outdoors may even register some higher current. To be safe I wouldn't buy anything less than 40C-45C discharge rate on 2200mAph

IMG_8818[1].JPG

• 8. Re: Recommended LiPo for AERO RTF Drone
                        DGeise

There are two variables to be aware of for battery "C" rating:  Peak Discharge Rating and Continuous Discharge Rating.

My understanding is that Peak C refers to rate the battery can handle for a short period, usually 10 seconds or less.  Manufacturers usually document Peak C but if they don't you can 'safely' assume Peak _C = 2 * Continuous_C.  Usually Continuous C is the primary concern, and a general rule of thumb is to design for battery total continuous discharge rate to be 2X or greater your vehicle's typical current consumption.

It's true that using an inadequate C rated battery can lead to premature battery failure and even be dangerous in some cases.  However, typically higher C-rating batteries are also heavier & more expensive due to the heavy-duty' nature of the electrodes & conductors involved.

My bench meter doesn't capture instantaneous peak like yours does. In fact it displays an average over the last second or so.  I have no doubt that both of our vehicles hit instantaneous peaks exceeding of 30A.   This doesn't mean you need a 40C battery or that that is an optimal setup.

When designing hovering vehicles, usually a primary goal is efficiency which implies minimizing weight.  I.e. don't over-design anything with safety factor of 10X but seek matched components that operate with a safety factor of 2X at "typical maximum".  It's a typical to think "more safety is better" but in this case that may not be the true, especially if you're looking for longest flight time.

It should be interesting to hear what Intel has to say when/if they do ever publish battery recommendations.  Frankly it seems rather silly to be speculating & reverse-engineering something that Every Single Customer will need to know before using the product.  This "we don't know" response from Intel implies that the support people have never actually used the product or feel unsafe in at least responding "we've been getting good results with battery X, however this is not an Intel endorsement of brand X".

Bottom line, in my opinion, is if people feel safer using high-C lipo batteries, they should use them.  I could be wrong but I still think a 10C battery is adequate and more optimal for the this vehicle.

• 9. Re: Recommended LiPo for AERO RTF Drone
                          Marco-Giana

Hi,

I posted this question to the intel-aero on instructables and I got a response on what they use which may help. See comments at the end of this link

Intel Aero Drone - Downward Facing RealSense Camera: 5 Steps (with Pictures)