Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2827 Discussions

DH55HC High Temp. on CPU

idata
Employee

<!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} h1 {margin-right:0in; mso-margin-top-alt:auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto; margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; mso-outline-level:1; font-size:24.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->I have an Intel BOXDH55HC motherboard with an Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor. I installed Intel Desktop Utilities to monitor my system. I also installed ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler. I updated the BIOS and changed the fan settings to pick up the new fan and it did. The processor runs between 30°C and 40°C. The problem I'm having is when the computer is idling for several hours I get a high temperature alarm on the processor. I'm not sure why this is happing. The fan is running 650 to 700 RPM. Is there another setting that I need to change? If you need more information please let me know.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

In the Intel Desktop Utilities, there is a processor thermal margin value. If that is what you mean by the 30 to 40 C values then that means that the difference between your processor's actual temperature(variable and load dependent) and maximum temperature(fixed) is in the range of 30 to 40 C. There must be some program running in the background that constantly uses the processor. As a comparison, mine is in the range of 40 to 70 C at a speed of 995 to 1000 rpm (box fan).

idata
Employee

<!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} h1 {margin-right:0in; mso-margin-top-alt:auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto; margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; mso-outline-level:1; font-size:24.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

<!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} h1 {margin-right:0in; mso-margin-top-alt:auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto; margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; mso-outline-level:1; font-size:24.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

My OS is Windows 7 64bit. When I leave my computer running with no activity, other than what is running in the background, for an hour or so I get a high temperature alarm. I have attached the alarm to this post. Should the fan increase to control the temp? It is only when I'm not on the computer that this occurs. When I'm on it the highest I have seen it is 70°C. I'm wondering if it did get that hot and if it did was the board and/or processor damaged.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

That is quite high thus the alarm. You must reflect back on what you were doing before that resulted to such a situation. Another possibility is overclocking.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

i ve same issue with my i5 750 with DH55HC motherboard

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I called Intel Technical Support and I was told if my CPU temperature was 140°C it would fail or auto shutdown before it reached 75°C (best that I can remember). The Tech said that it must be a glitch in the utility program. He suggested turning off the processor temperature notification. It is still running from the BIOS and monitoring. I hope this helps someone.

0 Kudos