9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2017 5:13 PM by Intel Corporation

Synchronizing Galileo Gen 2 with System Studio IoT Edition

JimW

I am using Intel System Studio IoT Edition on a Mac with Intel Galileo Gen 2 Board.

I can connect fine with a console and have run both the examples, Hello_World and  On_Board_LED_Blink from the IDE.

However I have one issue. During the compile and transfer process, I get the message that

"Packages are not synchronized with the targets installation packages etc.

umm for Intel Galileo with Yocto - Docker Container 1.0.2 - Target 0.7.0-r0"

I click Yes - but the update eventually fails. 

The examples seem to work OK.  Seems like this is an issue I need to correct.

Any suggestions on how to solve or should I just Ignore?

Thanks

For your info, during this process, the Eclipse console window shows.

root@galileo:~#

chmod 777 /tmp/device-detection.sh; /tmp/device-detection.sh; ex it;

cat: /etc/issue.net: No such file or directory

com.intel.iotdevkit.platform.galileo;yocto

pwd; exit;

/home/root

chmod 777 /tmp/opkg-sync-detection.sh; /tmp/opkg-sync-detection. sh upm mraa ; exit;

0.7.0-r0:1.5.1

export PACKAGE=/tmp/upmPackage.ipk; opkg install $PACKAGE; if [  "$?" = "0" ]; then echo SUCCESS; else echo FAILURE; fi; exit;

Upgrading upm from 0.7.0-r0 to 1.0.2 on root.

Removing package upm-dev from root...

killall gdbserver On_Board_LED_Blink 2> /dev/null; exit;

• 1. Re: Synchronizing Galileo Gen 2 with System Studio IoT Edition
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello JimW,

Thank you for interest in the Intel® Galileo Board.

I understand that the update process is failing, and even though the examples seem to be working fine, there is something you can try. 

Have you tried using the Firmware Updater Tool in order to apply the latest updates? Please check this link https://software.intel.com/en-us/iot/hardware/galileo/downloads, especially the “Onboard Flash Firmware Updater” section. After downloading the corresponding updater for your development platform (OS X), go through the steps in the following user guide   http://downloadmirror.intel.com/24748/eng/IntelGalileoFirmwareUpdaterUserGuide-1.0.4.pdf.

In the meantime, please take a look at the known issues (page 14) that may prevent a successful update. With special attention to the “Does not work when sketches are running”, just in case.

If the previous doesn’t solve the issue, follow the “Installing the Intel® System Studio IoT Edition on Mac”, emphasizing on the Docker download. That because the error message you are triggering mentions “Docker Container” and it may be worth reinstalling that software.

If the issue persists, don’t hesitate to contact us, I’ll be waiting for your response.

Regards,
          Andres

• 2. Re: Synchronizing Galileo Gen 2 with System Studio IoT Edition
            JimW

Hi.

I already had version 1.1.0 of the firmware installed so I downloaded the firmware updater again and updated again. I also downloaded and reinstalled Docker. Then I tried the Blink example with the same results as before. I have attached two screen shots of Eclipse showing the request to synchronize and the final results for your info.

When I look at the version of Yocto with the serial screen using cat /etc/version,  I get 201606081532, the latest version I had downloaded and installed.  Any suggestions at this point?

A final question. Earlier I used the Arduino IDE to download the blink sketch to the board. I noticed that even after rebooting Yacto, that sketch would continue running.  I then went to the Eclipse Intel System Studio and compiled and downloaded a different blink program.  When I observed the results, I appeared both programs were running!  They had different blink periods and they appeared to be intermixed. How does one kill or remove a sketch that was started by the Arduino IDE?

Thanks

Screen Shot First Message.pngScreen Shot Second Message.png

• 3. Re: Synchronizing Galileo Gen 2 with System Studio IoT Edition
              FGT

JimW wrote:

How does one kill or remove a sketch that was started by the Arduino IDE?

Thanks

Open a terminal

Issue the command

rm /sketch/*

reboot

(you only need to remove and reboot once)

HTH,

Fernando.

• 4. Re: Synchronizing Galileo Gen 2 with System Studio IoT Edition
                Intel Corporation

Hello JimW,

Thank you for the information provided, the images may help us solve the issue.

I understand you tried the suggestion provided and the issue persists.

The next thing you can try to solve the issue you are experiencing is to update your MRAA I/O and UPM sensor libraries. Please follow this guide https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/623543, I’m aware that it is an Intel Edison Board User Guide, but the process is compatible with the Galileo Board. 

I’ll be waiting for your response.

Regards,
                Andres

• 5. Re: Synchronizing Galileo Gen 2 with System Studio IoT Edition
                  JimW

I followed the recommendations above with the following results.

First I looked at the version of ups as follows:

root@galileo:~# opkg info upm

Package: upm

Version: 0.7.0-r0

Depends: libgcc1 (>= 4.9.1), libpython2.7-1.0 (>= 2.7.3), libc6 (>= 2.20), python-core, libstdc++6 (>= 4.9.1), openzwave (>= 1.4.1), libjpeg8 (>= 8d+1.3.1), libmodbus5 (>= 3.1.2), mraa (>= 1.0.0)

Architecture: i586

Installed-Time: 1465425649

Then I tried to update as follows:

root@galileo:~# opkg install upm

Package upm (0.7.0-r0) installed in root is up to date.

Collected errors:

* pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //var/lib/opkg/info/upm-dev.list: No such file or directory.

* pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //var/lib/opkg/info/upm.list: No such file or directory.

So it appears that the ump package is up to date.  Note that in the error message when I tried to synchronize (see my previous post where it wants to replace 0.7.0-r0 with 1.0.2 ???

Next I tried to update the mara package as follows:

root@galileo:~# opkg install mraa

Package mraa (1.5.1) installed in root is up to date.

Collected errors:

* pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //var/lib/opkg/info/upm-dev.list: No such file or directory.

* pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //var/lib/opkg/info/upm.list: No such file or directory.

So it looks like both of these packages are installed and up to date.

What next?

By the way thanks for all of the prompt assistance.  Also thanks to Fernando for the advice or removing sketches.

• 6. Re: Synchronizing Galileo Gen 2 with System Studio IoT Edition
                    FGT

JimW wrote:

Also thanks to Fernando for the advice or removing sketches.

You are welcome,

Fernando.

• 7. Re: Synchronizing Galileo Gen 2 with System Studio IoT Edition
                      Intel Corporation

Hello JimW,

Thank you for the information provided.

I think the issue seems to be related to the installation of the latest update, your target is using version 0.7.0-r0, while the latest UPM release is 1.0.2 (which should be the same present in the Docker Container). So you have the latest version in the Docker Container, but not in your target. 

That may explain why you can run examples such as Hello_World and On_Board_LED_Blink from the IDE. Since the message is caused by the incompatibility of the UPM repository (which provides software drivers for sensors and actuators), any code that doesn’t involve using a sensor/actuator should work. As long as you don’t experience issues while using a sensor/actuator, you can ignore the message.

I checked the Intel IoT Development Kit GitHub site, and notice a discrepancy in the location of the latest repository. Could you please try following the steps provided here https://github.com/intel-iot-devkit/mraa in order to find out if that keeps the update process from failing?

Being said that, while doing research, I came to this thread: https://communities.intel.com/message/438435#438435, which discusses the incompatibility of the latest System Studio IoT Edition with the Galileo Board. You can check this if, when creating a project, the Galileo board doesn’t appear as an option.

This doesn’t seems to be what is causing the issue, but if it is, use an older version of System Studio IoT Edition. Please follow this steps: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/older-version-product.

In the meantime, I’ll investigate if there is anything else that is preventing the UPM update.

Thank you for your patience.

Regards,
                      Andres

• 8. Re: Synchronizing Galileo Gen 2 with System Studio IoT Edition
                        JimW

Using the following commands I was able to upgrade ups to 1.0.2.

echo "src intel-iotdk https://iotdk.intel.com/repos/3.5/intelgalactic/opkg/i586/" > /etc/opkg/intel-iotdk.conf

opkg update

opkg upgrade mraa upm

Next from a terminal screen I run the commands

opkg info upm

opkg info mraa

This gives the output below:

root@galileo:~# opkg info upm

Version: 0.7.0-r0

Depends: libgcc1 (>= 4.9.1), libpython2.7-1.0 (>= 2.7.3), libc6 (>= 2.20), python-core, libstdc++6 (>= 4.9.1), openzwave (>= 1.4.1), libjpeg8 (>= 8d+1.3.1), libmodbus5 (>= 3.1.2), mraa (>= 1.0.0)

Section: libs

Maintainer: Intel IoT Devkit team <meta-intel@yoctoproject.org>

MD5Sum: c7bdc2253ea49db309c18a0736f23b61

Size: 33458618

Filename: upm_0.7.0-r0_i586.ipk

Source: git://github.com/intel-iot-devkit/upm.git;protocol=git;tag=v0.7.0

Description: Sensor/Actuator repository for Mraa  Sensor/Actuator repository for Mraa.

Version: 1.0.2

Depends: mraa (>= 1.1.2)

Provides: upm-dev, upm-dbg, upm-doc

Replaces: upm-dev, upm-dbg, upm-doc

Conflicts: upm-dev, upm-dbg, upm-doc

Maintainer: Intel IoT-Devkit

MD5Sum: b7ce90bb460934781e9c6e9b91dbf53f

Size: 25107850

Filename: upm_1.0.2_i586.ipk

Source: https://github.com/intel-iot-devkit/upm

Description: upm built using CMake

Installed-Time: 1486476006

root@galileo:~# opkg info mraa

Package: mraa

Version: 1.0.0-r0

Depends: libgcc1 (>= 4.9.1), python-core, libpython2.7-1.0 (>= 2.7.3), libstdc++6 (>= 4.9.1), libc6 (>= 2.20)

Maintainer: Intel IoT Devkit team <meta-intel@yoctoproject.org>

MD5Sum: a4312dad2554c3e9fa3fbc142517ec50

Size: 443460

Filename: mraa_1.0.0-r0_i586.ipk

Source: git://github.com/intel-iot-devkit/mraa.git;protocol=git;tag=v1.0.0

Description: Low Level Skeleton Library for Communication on Intel platforms  Low

Level Skeleton Library for Communication on Intel platforms.

Package: mraa

Version: 1.5.1

Provides: mraa-dev, mraa-dbg, mraa-doc

Replaces: mraa-dev, mraa-dbg, mraa-doc, libmraa, libmraa-dev, libmraa-doc

Conflicts: mraa-dev, mraa-dbg, mraa-doc

Maintainer: Intel IoT-Devkit

MD5Sum: 482316de5f508cfce9dfe4f5b4dd109b

Size: 369758

Filename: mraa_1.5.1_i586.ipk

Source: https://github.com/intel-iot-devkit/mraa

Description: mraa built using CMake

Installed-Time: 1463067619

So it looks like both packages were updated ok.

Finally I reran the Blink ppm again and the platforms synchronized ok and there were no errors shown.

Don't know why this didn't work before, but it seems to be ok now.

Thanks for all the help and support.

• 9. Re: Synchronizing Galileo Gen 2 with System Studio IoT Edition
                          Intel Corporation

Hello JimW,

I’m glad to hear that you could solve the updating issue.

Thank you for sharing your experience with the community, we really appreciate it.

Regards,
                          Andres