8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2017 2:09 PM by Intel Corporation

Z3735E drivers?

Sykes

Hey guys,

Windows Update offered me an Instel System Update driver and I installed it on my Win 8.1 x32 tablet with Atom Z3735E. Bad idea as it broke the touchscreen and other important stuff.

Looking around, I can see other people have had the same issue but I've not found any way to fix it

It appears the update installed drivers for Pentium, Celeron and other CPUs. Why the system deemed them to be compatible with an Atom I have no clue, but it did.

While I can restore a backup, I'd still like to know if there's a way to install proper drivers. Whenever Windows does stupid crap like this, I try to dig in and see if/how it can be fixed (education purposes you can say). I mean it's all just files, it's not like the computer is sick or something.

Intel doesn't have any drivers for download for this (why??), the manufacturer (GoClever) doesn't either.

How would you proceed if you'd need to fix an issue like this?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Z3735E drivers?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello :

Thank you very much for providing that information.

In regard to your inquiry, sometimes when you do a system update some problems could be expected, because every system and the components being used are different, so the fact that it works for one computer does not mean it will work for all the computers, and in this case it seems to be the system update was offer to all the users that were using Windows® 8.1 at the time. We normally recommend to install the drivers manually, meaning to look for them on the manufacturer’s web site, since the support we provide is for Intel products, the reason why (GoClever) does not have the drivers available it is something that is always better to check directly with them:

http://www.goclever.com/uk/contact,a1.html

I looked for USA support but for some reason that option is not showing.

On the following site you might be able to find the drivers for your system:

http://www.goclever.com/ng/support,c3/software-update,a28.html

If you have the option to back up and restore that will be the best thing to do to fix the problem and after that another option will be to disable Windows® automatic updates and drivers installation, and then if you find the drivers on the link above try to install them manually:

How to disable Windows® 8.1 updates:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/automatic-app-updates-windows-8-1

How to disable Windows® driver updates:

http://ccm.net/faq/35640-prevent-windows-8-1-from-automatically-installing-new-drivers

Any further questions, please let me know

Regards

Alberto

• 2. Re: Z3735E drivers?
            Sykes

Like I mentioned, GoClever doesn't have any chipset drivers for download and as you also found, their support is completely non-existent, they don't have ANY support contact whatsoever - I once emailed them to the office contact but got no reply. So, no luck there.

I know this Atom thingy is a SoC but I still don't see why Intel can't provide drivers for download. I mean all the larger desktop/laptop motherboard manufacturers provide some drivers but one can still download Intel drivers for the other chipsets, why not the mobile ones?

Also, it's really odd that the drivers got installed despite being completely incompatible (apaprently it's for i7 mobile chipsets or something). I know it's Microsoft's problem that they offered this update but as I looked through what actually got installed, it's Intel's inf's and dll's all over the place so I'd think there could be some better protection against installing the wrong chipset drivers. Just sayin'.

• 3. Re: Z3735E drivers?
              Intel Corporation

Hello :

In regard to your comments about Intel not providing drivers, on the following link you will find the drivers we have for that type of processor that is the Intel® Atom® z3700 series:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/85552/Intel-HD-Graphics-for-Intel-Atom-Processor-Z3700-Series

All of them are graphics drivers that are generic meaning that they might or might not work with your system.

The scenario is very different between a laptop and a desktop PC, all the drivers for the laptop should be provided by the manufacturer of it, even if it includes an Intel processor, all the features drivers programs and customizations are done by the manufacturer of it.

In some cases we can provide a graphics driver if by any chance the laptop has problems related to graphics, that is an alternative in order to fix a problem like that, but the driver from the manufacturer are the proper ones for this system.

In regard to the system update, even if you see Intel everywhere, still the system update is something that Microsoft offered, since the laptop has Intel components it is expected for you to see the Intel brand in there, but that update belongs entirely to Microsoft.

It is really strange that GoClever is not offering support or drivers anymore, and regarding your inquiry about protection, that is also up to them, remember they installed everything in there, including the security features.

The way it works is that GoClever gets in contact with Intel at the moment when they are going to build their products, to request a processor with specific features, then Intel provides the processor to them  and after that they take care of everything, technical support, warranty, programs, features, drivers and any type of software updates they might have available, is just when the problem is related to graphics that we can try to use our drivers.

Let me apologize for any inconvenience you might have experienced in trying to install the drivers, and I hope this information is useful for you.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

• 4. Re: Z3735E drivers?
                Sykes

Thank you, but a far as I understand, that's the driver for the graphics and not the chipset itself. (With that Windows update, the graphics driver was also offered, separaely.)

So it appears that with the lack of OEM's support, there's no real chance for the user to reinstall the chipset driver with this CPU/SoC.

Well, okay, any chance Intel could at least contact Microsoft and inform them aboutt this mess? I doubt me as an end-user contacting them would bring much remedy, much less as I use an OEM device. And apparently this update has been floating around for some users for several months already and it's rather difficult to find information about it.

Basically all it needs is for MS to at least stop offering the update completely if they can't correctly identify the hardware.

• 5. Re: Z3735E drivers?
                  Sykes

I'd also like to point out that while the update is offered by MS, it's not the usual windows update installation format. It has no KB number, cannot be uninstalled - as far as I can tell, it's just standard Intel's installer. So perhaps the same situation would arise if the user would mistakenly install the wrong chipset driver manually.

Maybe I'm wrong in this regard, I'm certainly not going to try to brick the tablet again by testing this, but it may be something worth looking into.

• 6. Re: Z3735E drivers?
                    Intel Corporation

Hello :

Thank you very much for letting us know those comments.

To answer your question, yes, Intel is in constant communication with Microsoft in regard to the drivers, but still they have the option to do their own system updates that might work or not depending on the computer. And you are correct, the drivers that we can provide are the graphics drivers, since this is a SoC system, the chipset feature and drivers for it are completely supported by the manufacturer of the device, in this case GoClever.

Based on that, we cannot forced Microsoft to stop offering the updates since they have the option to do that, but actually, the real problem in this case is GoClever not offering drivers or support, that is the real issue, otherwise after the update was done, then you just need to go and install the latest chipset driver offered by them and there should not be any problems with the computer, but unfortunately that is not the case.

I just wanted to let you know that from our end we tried the best we could in order to try to fix this problem, and we are sorry to hear that the system update did not work as expected.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

• 7. Re: Z3735E drivers?
                      Sykes

OK thanks Alberto.

The fact that GoClever has no support sucks, but I've seen the issue with the incorrect drivers getting installed being reported for other brands' tablets as well (Acer, Asus etc). There was also a thread here about the update and Atom tablets getting bricked seems like a known issue - see Re: Windows Update INTEL SYSTEM update 10.1.1.38 dated 10/3/2016  3rd comment from top.

So I'd really like to urge Intel to go ring at Microsoft's and try to push them to stop offering this dangerous update.

BTW regarding downloading the right driver from the manufacturer - keep in mind that the device gets almost bricked (no touchscreen or USB), some people also report Wi-Fi not working - so on many devices it would probably not be even possible to then go to the manufacturer's web site and download the right driver. Not to mention that many users wouldn't even know that's an option.

• 8. Re: Z3735E drivers?
                        Intel Corporation

Hello :

Once again thank you very much for letting us know all those details.

Yes, you are correct, there are cases about this update creating many problems on different computers, and as you mentioned for some specific systems there are no drivers available so there is no option to install the new drivers.

I will send your suggestion about us contacting Microsoft the proper department, for them to be able to see your feedback and comments.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto