4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2017 9:41 AM by Intel Corporation

Send and Receive Data From Intel Edison and Sparkfun 9DOF Block Using WiFi

lewis-astbury

Hi, I am pretty new to the world of edison and i have been given a project that uses the Intel Edison and Sparkfun 9DOF, this allowing me to measure from the gyroscope and the accelerometer. The edison is currently sat on the Sparkfun Base Block followed by the Sparkfun 9DOF Board, the last piece to my stack is the Sparkfun 3.7V Battery Block, which allows it to be powered remotely. Using the provided libraries from sparkfun, i can wirelessly connect to the edison using the IoT Eclipse C++ platform and send the given program. This program starts the 9DOF board and displays the values back in the terminal in eclipse.

So, my problem is now, how can i used this data to be displayed in LabVIEW, reading various threads and forums i have come across a few examples where LabVIEW uses TCP/IP protocols to be able to read and write data over a network. Is this possible to send the data (preferably in real-time) wirelessly from the edison to LabVIEW? Or from Eclipse C++ to LabVIEW?

At the minute im really kind of stuck, and this project is being pushed upon me to get completed, so any real help, examples or knowledge will me much appreciated

Thanks, Lewis.    

• 1. Re: Send and Receive Data From Intel Edison and Sparkfun 9DOF Block Using WiFi
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello lewis-astbury,

Thank you for interest in the Intel® Edison Breakout Board.

Applications and examples that help understand how to communicate your Edison board with LabVIEW are very difficult to find. 
          The only example I could find and that slightly resembles what you are trying to accomplish is here https://lavag.org/topic/19312-deploying-labview-to-intel-edison/.

Basically, it consists of a wireless bilateral communication between an Edison board and a host computer running LabVIEW. Both systems are connected to the same network. You mentioned that you “can wirelessly connect to the Edison”, so I’m assuming you know how to connect the board to WiFi and to enable SSH, but just in case, here is the corresponding link https://software.intel.com/en-us/get-started-edison-windows-step2

If I find information that may seem useful I’ll contact you through this community.

Regards,
          Andres V.

• 2. Re: Send and Receive Data From Intel Edison and Sparkfun 9DOF Block Using WiFi
            lewis-astbury

Hi, Thanks for you response, unfortunately for me, i tried that solution and i made it all the way to the end, all seeming well until it came to the LabVIEW side, I currently have LabVIEW full professional, but it is restricted to windows only, to be able to see out that tutorial it required a license for Linux LabVIEW. I contacted National Instruments to see if they would simply allow me to use the license for Linux ( as we bought the Full Professional Version, which is compatible for the main three OS's) but he said we'd have to buy a new complete license, which is pretty unreasonable considering the price..

The only other problem with that solution is that i am not trying to deploy LabVIEW vi's onto the edison, im trying to extract the data from the gyroscope/accelerometer that is being out putted into my Eclispe terminal, and display it in LabVIEW. I have tried two methods of doing this so far, i have tried using the VISA serial vi's to read bytes from a specific com port(the one i can connect my edison to) whilst the C++ program is running on the edison and activating the 9DOF board, but i think my problem may lie with the output values being 16bit singed and VISA serial reading bytes.

The other method i have tried was using a few varies TCP protocol vi's, i tried opening a connection with the edison with it's IP adress and a specific port number, which was successful, then using a TCP Read and TCP Write, to try display the data, but still no look.

I really appreciate your help so thanks again, if anyone else has any ideas what so ever, they will all be a great help! (as i am fully out of ideas)    

• 3. Re: Send and Receive Data From Intel Edison and Sparkfun 9DOF Block Using WiFi
              Intel Corporation

Hello lewis-astbury,

Thank you for sharing that information. 

I’m sorry to hear that you can’t use the Linux LabVIEW license. I’ll keep that in mind for my current research. 

I’ll need more time to come up with information that you may find relevant.

Thank you for your patience.

Regards,
              Andres

• 4. Re: Send and Receive Data From Intel Edison and Sparkfun 9DOF Block Using WiFi
                Intel Corporation

Hello lewis-astbury,

I’m sorry to see that there hasn’t been any updates regarding your case, or that any community member hasn’t suggested an alternative to your issue.

While doing research I couldn’t find anything similar with what you are trying to accomplish, it seems the absence of a Linux LabVIEW license makes it even more difficult.

I’m sorry to inform you that this kind of integrations (LabVIEW), that involve third party tools, is out of the scope of this support team.

Since the thread will remain open, hopefully another community member will come up with a new suggestion.

Regards,
                Andres