1 2 3 Previous Next 1,068 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2017 8:30 AM by EzraPeteuik

Thermal sensor issue i7-7700k?

BC93Key

I have a brand new build; EVERYTHING NEW. i7-7700k is running at stock speeds. I have the RAM set to XMP for DDR4-2666. Motherboard is Asus Maximus IX Hero Z270.

I have found that the i7-7700k reports a momentary (a second or less) temperature spike +25 > 35 degrees Celsius anytime a program is opened, a webpage is opened, a background app runs etc. The temperature blip cascades through the cores in random order; not the same every time. This causes my heatsink fan to constantly cycle up and down. Temperatures otherwise report as steady, normal increases. Peak temperature under Prime95 blend test is 71 degrees Celsius.

Attempted solutions:

I have re-installed my heatsink and thermal paste with no change.

I have tried to manually set my fan speed in the bios. The only setting that avoids this issue is setting the temperature / fan at a constant (and loud) 80-100%. I've tried PWM and DC mode.

I have found a few user reports elsewhere on the web, all reasoning that it's just the way it is. I don't accept that. Opening a folder or browser should not spike temps +30 degrees. Not only is the fan cycling annoying, it puts undue stress on my fan; possibly shortening its lifespan.

What's the answer, if any? RMA?

• 1. Re: Thermal sensor issue i7-7700k?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello :

In regard to your inquiry, we do have a tool that is called Intel® Processor Diagnostics Tool, please run that tool and let us know the results, it does an overall test on the processor including a temperature test, so if it passed the test it should be fine:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

Now, when you open an application web page or a program for the temperature to increase is expected, there is no specific measure stating how much it will increase or decrease, that will depend on the programs running.

Now, the processor i7-7700K supports DDR4-2133/2400, DDR3L-1333/1600 @ 1.35V, if you are using XMP at 2666MHz that is higher than what the processor supports, and since the memory controller is located on the processor that might cause for the processor to get overheated and not to function properly.

Do you have the option to use a different processor with your board, or to use your processor on a different board?

Besides the fan that came with the processor, are you using another cooling solution inside the case?

Please let me know the results of running the tool.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

• 2. Re: Thermal sensor issue i7-7700k?
            BC93Key

I ran the Intel Diagnostic Tool before posting here, but I ran it again. The processor passes those tests.

I can leave the system idle and whenever a background process runs the cpu fans will spin up.

I have plenty of fans and good airflow: the case has 2 intake and one exhaust fan and I have 2 fans on the cpu heatsink- noctua nh-d15.

I have changed motherboard settings to defaults, RAM to DDR-2133. It did not make a difference.  The RAM runs @1.2v at either DDR-2133 or DDR-2666.

I can't afford to go buy another motherboard or processor to test right now, so I have no option at the moment.

The individual core temps jump an immediate 25 degrees (up to 31 degrees) for minimal stress for 1 second. This causes the heatsink fan to constantly cycle up and down. It is "working", but in my opinion it is not working properly. The temperature sensor is spiking and sending a signal to the motherboard to increase fan speed. Unless I set my fan speed to 80% constant or above I have a cpu fan constantly cylcing up and down.

So, my example would be as follows:

Web browser is open to a web page with an embedded video. Temperature is idling at 30 Celsius.

Click to play 3 minute embedded video. On the click - temperature spikes to 60 Celsius for ONE second and my cpu fan increases speed.

Temperature immediately (before fans have spun up entirely) returns to 32 Celsius for the remainder of the 3 minute video

This means the temperature for all but ONE second of the video was 32 Celsius. About 5 seconds after increasing speed, my fans return to normal idle speed.

That to me is not normal behavior. I have had numerous Intel processors over the years and I've never had this behavior. While different cores might have had temperature differences, the temperatures weren't bouncing all over the place. There was a normal rate of temperature increase.

I feel that you will undoubtedly say that this is within spec and proper behavior, so I'm done trying to figure it out. Between trying to troubleshoot this and 'bleeping' Windows 10, I'm tempted to get rid of everything. Maybe the reason Windows 10 is giving me trouble is this processor.

• 3. Re: Thermal sensor issue i7-7700k?
              Intel Corporation

Hello :

Thank you very much for letting us know that information and for explaining and sharing more details about the problem the processor is having.

Based on that information, you are right, that is not a normal behavior and the temperature should not spike like that.

This could be a problem with the fan itself, do you have the option to use another processor’s fan?

Since you do not have the option to use your board with a different processor or use your processor on a different board, remember that the processor has 3 years of warranty with Intel® so we can replace it for you, or also since you just purchased it, you can always get in contact with the place of purchase, that will be the fastest way, to verify with them if they can do that for you.

Please let me know if you interested in replacing the processor.

Additionally, the problem could also be related to the board, so you can also get in contact with ASUS to verify if their warranty policy and options.

ASUS’s phone number: 1-877-339-2787

ASUS’s support site: https://www.asus.com/us/support/

Regards

Alberto

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Thermal sensor issue i7-7700k?
                ZeoxZariX

I have a 7700K and i know how you feel because my CPU has the same issue and there are many other people out there with the same problem.

The spike issue it's something common on all 7700K CPU's

These are very hot chips for sure. In addition, I experienced as have many other users extreme temperature spikes on the cores. I have never seen that before in any Intel chips. I have seen uneven core temps but not spikes at random times on random cores, so anything you could do to help it thermally would be great. However this could be bios related voltage issues that will get ironed out.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Thermal sensor issue i7-7700k?
                  Elmotje

I have the same issue over here.

System Spec:

MSI Z270 Pro Carbon

I7 7700k

Corsair Vengeance LED 3000mhz

Windows 10 Pro

(Cooled by a 360mm RAD and an EK Supreme block)

The CPU temperature is jumping like it is on drugs. I just ran the Intel Diagnostic tool and strange thing is that under 100% load it doesnt go above 45 Degrees.

When im doing not much, like installing an app or so it easily jumps to 50 Degrees and jumps back again, around 35 Degrees

But where not the only one who noticed this behaviour.... on tomshardware forum there also talking about it.

• 6. Re: Thermal sensor issue i7-7700k?
                    ZeoxZariX

Here it's not about if the CPU pass the test or not with the diagnostic tool software, the CPU can pass as many tests as you do to it with some others diagnostic tools not just with the Intel one, as you said, when you open an application, Webpage or program the temperature increase, but it's not normal at all that when i launch Firefox there is a temperature spike from 22c to 51c on core 1, from 22c to 45c on core 2, from 21c to 46c on core 3 and from 22c to 51c on core 4, that's unacceptable, about the Ram speed, it doesn't matter if you run the ram at it's default speed or not, i have ran my System using XMP profile and without and it doesn't make any difference.

About the cooling solution.

It doesn't matter what CPU fan you use or with what method you cool your Machine, you can change as many coolers as you want and the problem will be always there, i don't have an Air cooler System i have a Waterchiller cooling system and despite my CPU still has temperature spikes.

This was while launching Firefox

Screenshot - 02_02.png

• 7. Re: Thermal sensor issue i7-7700k?
                      ZeoxZariX
                      If you go on Google and type (7700K temp spike) you will get a lot of results.
                      • 8. Re: Thermal sensor issue i7-7700k?
                        Intel Corporation

Hello , :

Thank you very much to all the peers for sharing those details on this thread.

In this case, we will start an investigation on this matter in order to try to find a possible solution for this problem.

To:

Please install the SSU tool (System Support Utility):

You will be able to download it on the following link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Once you do that, the tool will allow you to save the information as a file, so, once you save it, please also attach it to this thread, in order for us to see it.

As soon as I get that file from all the peers, we will start the investigation.

Regards

Alberto

• 10. Re: Thermal sensor issue i7-7700k?
                          Intel Corporation

Hello :

Thank you very much for providing that file.

I am creating a data base about this issue, so I am waiting for the other peers to provide that same file in order to compare and analyze all the scenarios to try to find a possible solution.  

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

• 11. Re: Thermal sensor issue i7-7700k?
                            Elmotje

How do you upload the file to this thread?

• 12. Re: Thermal sensor issue i7-7700k?
                              Nyrdian

Dear Alberto!

How can i give you data for this database? I have also i7 7700k with Asrock Z270 Extreme4 and has the problems what are wrote here. My cpu temp is up to 78 degree without overclocking. It's not in stress-test, it's just 10-15 raw picture converting. Plus i also feel the temp spikes, my cpu fan just playing up and down. I has a good, high air-flow capable case (F51 Supressor) with 3x 140 mm Alpenföhn Wing Boost 2. The cpu cooler is an Alpenföhn Brocken. I had much lower degrees with my i5 before 7700k.

So, my questions are:

How can i help to biuld a database? How can i fix this heat spike / temp problem?

Edit: Just got a fan spike, when i pushed the reply button...

Regards,

Tamas

• 13. Re: Thermal sensor issue i7-7700k?
                                Intel Corporation

Hello and :

In regard to your question, once you run the SSU tool and you save the file from it, to attached it to this thread you just need to select “reply”, then look in the upper right corner for the option that says “ Use Advanced Editor” and after that look in the lower right corner for the option that says attached:

Regards

Albeto

• 14. Re: Thermal sensor issue i7-7700k?
                                  untoldzero

dear intel members.
                                  i have same issues with z170a x power titanium and a 7700k.

i've tested my old cpu 6600k, without having that strange "spike" heat

i'm going to put as attach the result of SSU, hope in a resolution soon, cuz it shouldn't work like this..

1 2 3 Previous Next