1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2017 6:44 AM by Intel Corporation

Installing Ubuntu 14 or 16

Shening

Hi

Is it possible to install Ubuntu 14 or 16 on the intel aero board? I mostly care about the realsesnse cameras and downward facing camera working in Ubuntu.

Thank you,

Sebastian

• 1. Re: Installing Ubuntu 14 or 16
          Shening

I successfully installed Ubuntu 16.04 on the Aero Board, do you know if there is a way to activate or enable the Intel Realsense inside? (Not sure if I have to access the FPGA to activate the realsense camera)

Sebastian

• 2. Re: Installing Ubuntu 14 or 16
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Sebastian,

Thank you for interest in the Intel® Aero Compute Board.

I understand that you want to use Ubuntu with your Aero Board, unfortunately, that OS is not supported.

The software that enables the interaction between the Aero Board and the RealSense camera is currently not ready to be released, and once it does, it will be open source and developed for the default image.

Sorry for the inconvenience that this may cause.

Regards,
            Andres

• 3. Re: Installing Ubuntu 14 or 16
              mindThomas

Hi Andres.

Can you please elaborate on this statement: "The software that enables the interaction between the Aero Board and the RealSense camera is currently not ready to be released"

Is the RealSense camera connected over a different bus than USB 3.0?

In the specs it is states that the R200 camera is connected over a "dedicated USB 3.0 port". In that case, what is it that needs to be enabled?

We really need more details and documentation from your side.

You are launching a product intended for use in research labs and intended for developers, but you give them no real access, no documentation and now closed sources as well?

Sebastian, did you have any success with the RealSense camera in Ubuntu?

Regards Thomas

• 4. Re: Installing Ubuntu 14 or 16
                Intel Corporation

Hello Thomas,

What I meant is that, currently, the interaction between the Aero Board and the RealSense camera has to be done via command lines (https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki/RealSense), since there is not another software available.

In order to know more about how the RealSense R200 camera is connected, please check the following link Aero Mechanical Assembly Guide

I’m aware that the research and developing community is waiting for more documentation, and I assure that Intel is working on the corresponding guides and software. Unfortunately, there is not an estimate time of arrival for that information.

I’m sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.

Regards,
                Andres V.

• 5. Re: Installing Ubuntu 14 or 16
                  mindThomas

Hi Andres.

It can not be true that the interaction is only command line based? The example applications must have some sort of source code and the librealsense library does also exist.

Can you please explain why no further information about using the Realsense camera in eg. ROS related applications is available when you have truly shown a demonstration on the Yuneec drone capable of using the Realsense camera for obstacle avoidance?

You do indeed shoot yourself in the foot - and you do only make it less attractable to work with this platform.

Regards Thomas

• 6. Re: Installing Ubuntu 14 or 16
                    Intel Corporation

Hello Thomas,

Sorry for the late reply.

The Intel RealSense camera sensors can easily be accessed:
                    •    As a video device, using V4l2 libraries in the language of your choice (try /dev/video13 first on the Ready to Fly Drone).
                    •    With the higher level RealSense libraries, https://github.com/IntelRealSense/librealsense there’s a lot of code samples available on their GitHub, but please keep in mind that it is not drone specific.
                    •    With the, drone specific, Collision Avoidance library https://github.com/01org/collision-avoidance-library, which you can study and adapt it to your needs.

RealSense ROS node is possible today based on online documentation http://wiki.ros.org/RealSense.

I hope you find the previous information useful.

Regards,
                    Andres V.

• 7. Re: Installing Ubuntu 14 or 16
                      mindThomas

But the RealSense ROS library is not included within the image of the Intel Aero drone.

At the moment the Yocto does not include the RealSense ROS layer as needed.

When will we get this layer included into the main branch?

• 8. Re: Installing Ubuntu 14 or 16
                        Intel Corporation

Hello Thomas, 

Currently, there isn’t an estimate time for arrival for the RealSense ROS library.

Please keep visiting the community for the latest information regarding this type of software updates and documentation.

Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
                        Andres V.

• 9. Re: Installing Ubuntu 14 or 16
                          JustFineD

Hi,

I installed Ubuntu 16.04 on the Aero board.

I want to connect a pixhawk to this board

I followed the instructions given in https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/aero/apu-161110-pixhawk-flight-guide.pdf but I cannot communicate with the Pixhawk.

Do I need to configure the ubuntu in some way?

thx,

Doron

• 10. Re: Installing Ubuntu 14 or 16
                            D.KIRCALI

On our system (Ubuntu 16.04) /dev/ttyS4 was the address. I don't think we have played the with the FPGA part.

• 11. Re: Installing Ubuntu 14 or 16
                              Intel Corporation

Hello Doron,

Thank you for your interest in our Intel products.

We have taken your case into review and will come back to you with more information in the shortest time possible.

Regards,
                              Octavian

• 12. Re: Installing Ubuntu 14 or 16
                                Intel Corporation

Hello Doron,

Thank you for your patience,

Please note that Ubuntu is currently not supported on the Intel Aero platform. We recommend switching to the default Yocto image and also take a look at how Mavlink is setup to communicate to the flight controller. 

Regards,
                                Octavian

• 13. Re: Installing Ubuntu 14 or 16
                                  JustFineD

Hi Octavian,

Using Yocto project required some professional skills in embedded linux.

I'm afraid there is not enough documentation to help the robotics programmer who ain't specialized in embedded linux to skip all the complex stuff.

I believe, it will be easier and faster for most of robotics programmers to develop in Ubuntu instead of embedded linux.

Is there any plan to support Ubuntu in the near future?

Maybe you can add more courses\wiki pages to help us work properly with the AERO? (Paul G.'s course helps a lot, but still lacks information)

By the way, I installed a ROS docker and now I stuck to understand how to communicate with another ROS nodes running in another computer with different IP address....

Regards,

Doron

• 14. Re: Installing Ubuntu 14 or 16
                                    Intel Corporation

Hello Doron,

Thank you for contacting Intel Technical Support.
                                    Your request has been received and is currently being investigated. 
                                    We will get back to you as soon as possible.

Regards,
                                    Octavian

1 2 Previous Next