7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2017 12:44 PM by Intel Corporation

Is there any way Intel Edison Breakout Board to work independently from pc?

GiorgosGk

Hello everyone,

I would like to ask if is it possible to make an Intel Edison Breakout Board work completely independently from a computer once it is programmed. I want to make a program where it can read a sensor (more precisely, a DHT11 sensor - temperature/humidity sensor) and send the data through Wi-Fi to the IoT Analytics - ThingSpeak .  Can the Edison send data to Wi-Fi only by plugged-in to external power? Or it must be connected to a computer with both USBs cables? What I've tried so far, is that I can send only one value, but somehow through serial communication. I can see that value to my smartphone, when I am connected to Internet. That means it can work anywhere, anyplace. But the Intel Edison should be always connected to my computer. That means that it doesn't sends the data directly to the Wi-Fi and then to the webpage. It uses the computer. Either I've done something wrong with the Wi-Fi connection from I.Edison, or I don't know what else I might be doing wrong...

I would be glad to hear any suggestions or ideas that can bring me closer to what I want to do!

Thank you.

P.S. I.Edison cannot compile a program while I use the library <DHT.h>   Any suggestions or alternatives here?

• 1. Re: Is there any way Intel Edison Breakout Board to work independently from pc?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi GiorgosGk,

Thank you for contacting us.

The Edison should be able to work without being connected to a computer all the time after it’s been properly configured. The Edison is designed so that developers can make their own applications and put the Edison into their own products. Possibly, there’s just a few things that need to be adjusted before you can use the Edison without it being connected to a PC. What you must consider is the way the Edison is going to communicate, if the data you’re going to send is configured to be transferred through serial then you must make some adjustments to see if it’s possible to send it through WiFi, to avoid having the module connected to a PC.

I found a couple links with some examples on how to configure ThingSpeak. Take a look at
          https://communities.intel.com/message/433424#433424
          http://www.instructables.com/id/INTEL-EDISONWIFITHINGSPEAK/?ALLSTEPS

Let us know if you found this useful.

-Sergio

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is there any way Intel Edison Breakout Board to work independently from pc?
            Intel Corporation

Hi GiorgosGk,

Do you still need assistance with this case?

-Sergio A.

• 3. Re: Is there any way Intel Edison Breakout Board to work independently from pc?
              GiorgosGk

Hello Sergio,

and apologies for my late response... I was working with something else in Arduino lately. What I did the 1st time when I was about to use my new Intel Edison, was the instructions in that link from instructables.com that you sent me. It works fine, except that part where the guy uploads the sketch through Wi-Fi, and I believe that's the key to my problem. No matter how many times I tried to do that, it's just can't be done. Yet, I hope. And I follow the EXACT instructions, with exact names, fields, folders, etc. I was kinda confused when you said how my program sends the data. Through Wi-Fi or serial communication. Well, I haven't so much knowledge on this field yet, because I recently started working on the Edison, and I have many questions to be honest. But I will post below the sketch I am using. And if you could just let me know if the program seems fine in sending data through Wi-Fi, it would be really helpful so I can start clearing things up.

#include <SPI.h>
              #include <WiFi.h>

const int buttonPin = 2;
              const int ledPin = 13;

char ssid[] = "myNetwork";                              <== consider my network's name in "myNetwork
              char pass[] = "mypassword";                         <==consider my password in "mypassword"

int status = WL_IDLE_STATUS;
              IPAddress server(184,106,153,149);

WiFiClient client;

void setup() {
                pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT);
                pinMode(buttonPin, INPUT);

}

void loop() {
                String x = "GET https://api.thingspeak.com/update?api_key=(API_key_replaced_here)=";                    //API_key in parethensis
                int y = digitalRead(buttonPin);
                char b[2];
                String str;
                str = String(y);
                str.toCharArray(b, 5);
                String z = x + b;

status = WiFi.begin(ssid, pass);
                if (status != WL_CONNECTED) {
                  WiFiClient client;
                }
                else {
                  if (client.connect(server, 80)); {
                    client.println(z);
                    delay(5000);
                    client.stop();
                  }
                }

}

I have read many helpful instructions about Edison, and I know It can work independently from a computer. But I may have said it earlier and become easiest to get, is that I can't work independently the data transfer through Wi-Fi. Otherwise if I wanna work with some sensors and react by itself, it works fine... More precisely, the independent data transfer is the part that troubles me. Through Wi-Fi communication ofc.

Thank you very much,

Giorgos Gk

• 4. Re: Is there any way Intel Edison Breakout Board to work independently from pc?
                Intel Corporation

Hi Giorgos,

Thank you for your reply. Feel free to post as many times as necessary, we want to help you clarify your questions.

First, let’s focus on trying to upload the Arduino sketch through WiFi.

I found a couple of links with suggestions on how to program the Edison wirelessly. Take a look at https://communities.intel.com/thread/55663 for example. Also, an even more detailed step by step video on the same topic can be found here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh4MgO1VWKQ . I’d suggest you to start simple and try to upload the blink example first, which can be easily tested.

Now, regarding the code, there are some examples on the Arduino IDE that show how to use WiFi to send and receive data, among others. I’d suggest you to take a look those examples for more information.

Go ahead and try these suggestions and let us know your results.

-Sergio

• 5. Re: Is there any way Intel Edison Breakout Board to work independently from pc?
                  Intel Corporation

Hi Giorgos,

Do you still need assistance with this case? Please let us know if you managed to upload the sketch through WiFi.

-Sergio

• 6. Re: Is there any way Intel Edison Breakout Board to work independently from pc?
                    GiorgosGk

Hello Sergio,

Really thank you for helping me. So far, it seems to be working properly, (the Blink tutorial) but I 'll let you know if I face any unexpected issues on my upcoming project. I hope not, but I 'll tell you just in case. Really thank you. I kinda make a progress at this matter.

-GiorgosGk

• 7. Re: Is there any way Intel Edison Breakout Board to work independently from pc?
                      Intel Corporation

It’s great to hear you got everything working. In case you have more questions in the future, don’t hesitate to contact us again, we’d be happy to assist you.

-Sergio A