2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2010 8:12 PM by honcheung.ng

ESXi 4 on DQ57TM

n3dria

Hi,

has someone experience with running VMware ESXi 4 on DQ57TM (and with Intel Core i7 860 CPU but this doesn't matter)?

I found there is (can be) a problem with NIC Intel 82578

( http://www.vm-help.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1960 )

but can someone else confirm this problem?

What about USB ports and Com port, are there problems with passthough too?

Thank you

• 1. Re: ESXi 4 on DQ57TM
          astra4

Hi,

I just want to subscribe to this thread cause I'm also very muchly interested in this...

Additional question is whether the DQ57TM supports only video cards in its PCIe 2.0 x16 slot, or also other things such as a RAID controller, I'm thinking of the Adaptec 5805Q in particular. The Q57 Chipset Product Brief mentions PCIe 2.0 x16 in general, but the DQ57TM motherboard technical product specification only mentions only PCIe x1 interfaces in point 1.5 (i.e. as regards Q57 Chipset features).

I've been told by Adapted that some older motherboards with only a single x16 slot would only support it with video cards. Have sent an information request to Intel with this question and am waiting for a reply.

• 2. Re: ESXi 4 on DQ57TM
            honcheung.ng

I can successfully completed the installation of a ESXi 4.1 customized with the NIC's Linux driver injected by following the steps below.  (I use Ubuntu 10.04 LTS x64 as a VM on VMWare Player instead of the Live CD mentioned below)

http://www.vm-help.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2194

vSphere client connected the ESXi successfully and the NIC driver loaded is the e1000e2.o mentioned in URL above.

As that machine was borrowed from a colleague who already using that for daily use, I only install the ESXi to a USB thumb drive and didn't create any datastore yet.  So I can't comment how the USB and COM port behave.  But the DQ57TM using the latest BIOS as of 11 Aug 2010 and VT-d was enabled.

About the PCI-E x16 slot, I am also interested to know that as I want to know if a RAID card will works in my home's DIY NAS box using DH57JG board's PCI-E 16x slot too.  Please let me know if anyone tried that.