8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2017 9:28 AM by Intel Corporation

I have a NUC6i3SYH that boots up with a black/blank screen. What the heck is going on?

dondee

It boots fine the first time but will show only a black/blank screen if I have to reboot. It is a real pain when I go into the bios and then try to reboot back to the operating system. Unless it has been setting several hours with power disconnected or overnight with power connected it just boots with a black/blank screen after the first boot.

I am using Linux Mint 17.3 now and have tried other versions of Mint with the same result.

I have bios 55 installed and bios updates have no effect on this problem.

The monitor or tv shows a message saying that there is no hdmi input. The input is set correctly on both devices. I have used two different hdmi cables, no difference.

Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: I have a NUC6i3SYH that boots up with a black/blank screen. What the heck is going on?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello dondee,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

Please try the following to see if we can solve this problem:

1. Disconnect everything
          2. Unplug the HDMI cable to the TV/monitor
            Unplug power cable
          3. Remove RAM and SSD from the NUC, leave it like that for at least an hour or two and then reconnect everything back on.

If it doesn't work continue with these steps if it is possible for you:
          You can try to do a BIOS recovery to the latest version 0057, please see BIOS Recovery Update Instructions for Intel® NUC

Have you tried different HDMI port on your TV/monitor? Can you try another TV/monitor if it is possible, if not that is understandable? Are you using any adapters or it is straight connection? If yes, can you please try straight connection or different cable like Mini-DisplayPort to Display port on the TV? 

What is the RAM part number and SSD model? Have you tried with different RAM or if you have two memory sticks have you tried one at a time on each of the slots?

Please bear in mind that Intel has not validated Linux* Mint* with this Intel® NUC, however, we have reports by owners of Intel® NUC Boards and Kits that this operating system has worked fine.

We recommend you use the latest kernel. If you need assistance with Linux* on Intel NUC, check your distro's website and forums for peer assistance.

I hope this can help if not please let me know.

Best regards,

Ivan.

• 2. Re: I have a NUC6i3SYH that boots up with a black/blank screen. What the heck is going on?
            rguevara

Hi dondee,

I see several results by searching on Google: "Linux Mint 17.3 black screen". I checked a few of the links and they described a much closed issue to what you mentioned before so the issue may not be related to the NUC but to the Operating System.

Would you mind looking at this Linux Community post for instance: Fixing the black screen after grub boot-up (screen/video settings mismatch) - Linux Mint Community ?

Would it be possible that you try a different Operating System just to isolate the root cause of this issue or follow some of the recommendations posted on the Linux Community?

Please keep in mind that Intel is not responsible for information posted outside Intel's website and that Linux Mint has not been validated on this system.

I hope this helps,

Ronny G

• 3. Re: I have a NUC6i3SYH that boots up with a black/blank screen. What the heck is going on?
              dondee

Thanks for your reply, when I began reading the information it made realize that the problem is not with the operating system. The blank screen starts before the post is even finished.

Thanks again.

• 4. Re: I have a NUC6i3SYH that boots up with a black/blank screen. What the heck is going on?
                dondee

Thanks for your reply. I made the switch around in the hardware and updated the bios to 57 with no change. I accomplished all tests except replacing the ram. Switching ram sticks and locations did nothing to improve the situation, nor did removing everything. I have now used three different straight cables, no adapters, and two monitors plus a tv with the same results.

The ram is Mushkin: MES4S213FF4G18X2     2 x 4Gb

I have changed the ssd from a Corsair Neutron something to a Corsair: CSSD-F90GBGT-BK

There have been no problems with installing the operating systems (two different ones) and getting the hardware to work as it should. Just the blank screen if I reboot after the initial boot up. This includes rebooting the bios.

I think I may have steered this conversation in the wrong direction by failing say; the screen does not show any activity ("no hdmi signal") if I reboot or try to cold boot the nuc within a certain period of time.

The fact that if I wait a couple hours with the power disconnected that the nuc will boot fine. Then if I reboot or shut it completely down and boot the screen goes blank and that's it. I can leave it off till the next day or I can disconnect the power cord for a few hours and then the nuc boots up like normal again with video output. It is as if there is something inside is preventing the video from coming back on within a given period of time.

Thanks for your reply, I hope makes a solution a little clearer.

• 5. Re: I have a NUC6i3SYH that boots up with a black/blank screen. What the heck is going on?
                  dondee

Thanks for your reply. I made the switch around in the hardware and updated the bios to 57 with no change. I accomplished all tests except replacing the ram. Switching ram sticks and locations did nothing to improve the situation, nor did removing everything. I have now used three different straight cables, no adapters, and two monitors plus a tv with the same results.

The ram is Mushkin: MES4S213FF4G18X2     2 x 4Gb

I have changed the ssd from a Corsair Neutron something to a Corsair: CSSD-F90GBGT-BK

There have been no problems with installing the operating systems (two different ones) and getting the hardware to work as it should. Just the blank screen if I reboot after the initial boot up. This includes rebooting the bios.

I think I may have steered this conversation in the wrong direction by failing say; the screen does not show any activity ("no hdmi signal") if I reboot or try to cold boot the nuc within a certain period of time.

The fact that if I wait a couple hours with the power disconnected that the nuc will boot fine. Then if I reboot or shut it completely down and boot the screen goes blank and that's it. I can leave it off till the next day or I can disconnect the power cord for a few hours and then the nuc boots up like normal again with video output. It is as if there is something inside is preventing the video from coming back on within a given period of time.

Thanks for your reply, I hope makes a solution a little clearer.

• 6. Re: I have a NUC6i3SYH that boots up with a black/blank screen. What the heck is going on?
                    N.Scott.Pearson

What is the monitor (or TV) that is connected to the NUC? More importantly, what kind of cable are you using to connect this monitor (or TV) to the NUC? (Be very specific; provide part/order numbers)

• 7. Re: I have a NUC6i3SYH that boots up with a black/blank screen. What the heck is going on?
                      dondee

I have found the source of the problem I was having with my nuc. When I did the first installation of Mint 17.3 and it installed without issue. Then I replaced the first installation with Mint 18.1 just to see if it was ready to replace 17.3.

There was a couple problems and I reinstalled 17.3, but then I started to have the problem with booting. After weeks of checking this and that with no joy I made a discovery while looking at the bios settings. I found that the last installation was legacy install instead of eufi. I thought this shouldn't make any difference. But I put a fresh install of Mint 18.1 and made sure it installed eufi.

Voila! The problem has disappeared. I can boot and reboot when I want with the video working every time.

I want to thank those that contributed help with situation.

I am posting this so maybe this will help someone in the future.

Thanks

dondee

• 8. Re: I have a NUC6i3SYH that boots up with a black/blank screen. What the heck is going on?
                        Intel Corporation
                        This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Thank you dondee for taking your time to share this information with us and I’m glad that your issue has been resolved.

Best wishes,

Ivan.