1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2017 5:51 PM by cvare

NUC5i3MYHE UEFI firmware issues

DougG

I've got BIOS version MYBDWi30.86A.0040.2016.1124.1654 and I am attempting to use UEFI PXE booting. I have the UEFI PXE instance boot iPXE which then is booting the Xen hypervisor. I've found the following issues with this firmware version:

- When Xen calls BootServices->QueryMode() the boot process hangs completely. Previous revisions of the firmware this did not occur. iPXE does look up the GOP and the HiiFont Protocols and output text via that instead of through SIMPLE_TEXT_PROTOCOL's StdOut in BootServices.

- SIMPLE_TEXT_PROTOCOL does not output anything via serial or display ever. Even if I have iPXE use the StdOut API before it looks up the GOP it doesn't work.

- GetTime() causes the machine to hang.

- Calling ExitBootServices() before calling SetVirtualAddressMap() causes the machine to hang. Which appears to break guarantees provided by section 2.2.2 of the UEFI 2.6 spec (I know this board is based on an older version but the same text existed in older revs of the spec down to 2.0)

Let me know what troubleshooting and debugging info I can provide to help this. I've also got a NUC5i5MYHE and issues 2, 3, and 4 exist there as well.

1 2 Previous Next