12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2010 1:02 PM by ambizytl

howto tell if ssd is recognized as such

adelatorre

I got an x25-e for my laptop.  I imaged the original hd and installed the image to the ssd. I am concerned that windows 7 may not recognize that this is an ssd.  For example, defrag was turned on.  How can it tell if it is recognized as an ssd by the operating system?

Is there a way to fix this without having to re-install the os?

The SSD optimizer says it is not supported on this drive.

• 1. Re: howto tell if ssd is recognized as such
          Ozz

if you use defrag as the test to see if it was recognised properly, i think there is a popular misconception about defrag and SSDs ... it is meant to be on; all windows does if it detects the SSD properly, is it will remove the ssd from the defrag schedule.

1. in the main disk defragmenter window, click "Configure Schedule" (note: the SSD's volume(s) will show up here in the main screen as 'never run')

2. in the modify schedule window click "Select Disks"

3. there should be a a tick next to select all disks (by default).

4. there should be a tick next to any other mechanical spinning disks (by default).

5. your windows volume on the X25-E (or any other volume on the SSD) should not appear in this screen.

• 2. Re: howto tell if ssd is recognized as such
            ambizytl

Superfetch and Prefetch should also be disabled in Windows 7. The issue is Windows 7 as far as I'm concerned. Defrag should be disabled for your SSD, again, I believe this to be a Windows 7 issue. While what should be disabled is not does not mean your SSD is not recognized as such in Windows 7, it appears to be a bug in Windows 7, just like the MSE bug.

Here is an excerpt from a thread I started in a thread on Microsoft's Windows 7 forum:

@ambizytl:

I appreciate all the work you have been doing. Sorry for not getting back sooner, I had given up on this, as it does not appear to be a priority to MS. Here is a picture of my defrag window, showing that my C: drive (Intel G2 SSD) was defragged before I disabled defragmenter, even though the SSD is not shown in the "Select Disk" list on the next window. Interestingly, that was before I applied the "Trim" firmware.

The Superfetch service is Started and set to Automatic. In the registry, EnablePrefetcher & EnableSuperfetch both have a value of 3, which apparently means that they are enabled. There are current files in the Windows\Prefetch folder. I don't know any other way to check Prefetch or Superfetch.

The entire thread can be found here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprohardware/thread/c4cca52e-81c3-4139-b600-502b0fbd32fc

• 3. Re: howto tell if ssd is recognized as such
              ambizytl

Perhaps something in the readme will help:

Installation Requirements

·      A Microsoft Windows* operating system; Windows XP, Windows Vista* or Windows 7 (32-bit or 64-bit versions)

·      .NET Framework 2.0

·      Disk Defragmenter is turned off (Windows Vista* or Windows* 7) or not running (Windows XP).

·      At least 10 MB of free space on your drive

·      A non-RAID configuration

·      A non Dynamic Disk configuration

System Configuration Requirements for Intel SSD Toolbox

·      Virtualized Environments are not supported

·      Drives detected under Microsoft Windows* as SCSI are not supported

System Configuration Requirements for Intel SSD Optimizer

·      Disk Defragmentation should not be run with Intel SSD Optimizer (Defragmenter will hang)

·      SSDs formatted with FAT32 are not supported by the Intel SSD Optimizer

Known Issues

·     Intel SSD Optimizer will not run on Microsoft Windows XP 64 bit or Windows Server 2003 64 bit Operating Systems

·          When the Intel SSD Optimizer is run on either of the above named operating systems which do not have the Microsoft hot fix installed, the tool displays an error message stating the program has detected the presence of a Volume Shadow Copy service data, even if none is present.

WORKAROUND: The link to a Microsoft Knowledge Base article is located here:

• 4. Re: howto tell if ssd is recognized as such
                Ozz

interesting thread ambizytl,

here's my defrag window and it was actually earlier today that it was scheduled to run. if i remember correctly, i was using it at 2'ish, but it ran when i was out: (for clarity, C: = ssd. S:= mechanical) [basic config: 80GB G2, 7 x64 with native ahci driver, Intel 1.20E AHCI BIOS]

defrag.png

The only difference i can see from that posts is that my drive was new, had the latest firmware updated, then i began using it and installed window.

This has been about 2½ weeks so far, so I think detection here is working as expected?

• 5. Re: howto tell if ssd is recognized as such
                  ambizytl

The issue is how your SSD is recognized by Windows 7 according to what Microsoft said; for example, both Superfetch and Prefetch should be disabled.

Do you have Superfetch and Prefetch disabled?

• 6. Re: howto tell if ssd is recognized as such
                    marcuslai

deleted

Message was edited by: marcuslai

• 7. Re: howto tell if ssd is recognized as such
                      ambizytl

No, it really isn't that easy--see my posts above.

Defrag is just one of the things that is supposed to be turned off--Superfetch and Prefetch are others.

• 8. Re: howto tell if ssd is recognized as such
                        Ozz

I don't know the ins and outs of prefetch and superfetch, so my basic checking is for example, at the service level. Superfetch is on automatic and started. Prefetch I have no idea, but there is a folder C:\Windows\prefetch with files in it dated most recent today so I believe that's on aswell.

I'm not phased really, because the disk isn't writing or wearing out the SSD, and with plenty of RAM, I can't see the negative performance from pre/superfetch (apart from software not doing as it is designed or said to behave from a software point of view).

• 9. Re: howto tell if ssd is recognized as such
                          ambizytl

Well, if your SSD was recognized as such by Windows 7 according to what Microsoft said, both Superfetch and Prefetch would be disabled--it is as simple as that. :-)

It appears to be a bug in Windows 7, and does affect your SSD's performance. Read the article I quoted from in my first post on the Windows 7 forum.

• 10. Re: howto tell if ssd is recognized as such
                            ambizytl

By the way, there is at least one individual who reported Superfetch being turned off--from that thread I started on Windows 7 forum:

Hello Nano, in case you are not aware of, Intel has recently released a new firmware update tool (02HD) for the X-18/X25 series SSD to fix the drive-bricking issues.  You can download it here and so far the user experiences have been positive (see Intel forum here ).

I'd also like to chime in on this issue.  I have an Asus P6T Deluxe board with the latest BIOS installed.  SATA mode is set to AHCI in BIOS.  My Intel X25-M G2 SSD (w/ 02HA firmware) is installed on the SATA0 port and another WD Caviar Black 500GB HDD is installed on SATA1 port.  However, unlike others have reported, my Win7 Ultimate (x64) DID recognize the SSD and disabled Defrag, ReadyBoost, and Superfetch.  However, I am not sure if Prefetch was disabled since I still see files in the C:\Windows\Prefetch folder.

• 11. Re: howto tell if ssd is recognized as such
                              Einride

Going back to the original topic--there ought to be one or more registry entries that would indicate the answer to whether SSD optimizations are in place.  But they probably will not refer to SSD directly.  The oft-referenced Microsoft posting discussing SSDs and Win7 mentions that the optimizations do not involve a check to see if a disk is SSD.  Instead, Win7 is supposed to run a file IO test on the system disk and change some system settings if the result is high enough.

I have not seen anything to confirm that this process made it into the final cut of Win7.  Maybe not.  But if a test is run, where are the results?  Is a high Windows Experience component score for Primary Hard Disk good enough? Is there an IO test run for a couple of seconds during the Win7 install?  Could be something like these, or something else.

• 12. Re: howto tell if ssd is recognized as such
                                ambizytl

First, all my posts in this thread are on topic. The question of how to tell if an SSD is recognized is confusing to say the least, but the issue is really not all that important if your SSD gives normal scores with AS SSD, except that Superfetch and Prefetch should be disabled and Microsoft has never denied that in the thread I started on Windows 7 forum. In fact, the moderator there even referred to that "referenced posting" I quoted and linked to.

The lack of knowledge regarding your questions is solely because Microsoft has not answered my question on their Windows 7 forum.  Of course, they could be coming forth with an SP1 fix that addresses the issues, but that remains to be seen.

As for the WEI, I get 7.7 or 7.8 and certainly is high enough to alleviate any concerns I might have of my SSD performing as expected with regard to Intel, however, the issue of Superfetch and Prefetch is an entirely different matter, but still relevant with regard to Windows 7.

If you read my thread there, you should know Microsoft never explained how Windows 7 determines you have an SSD, as well as never denying that "referenced posting" being relevant to final edition of Windows 7.