2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2017 9:24 AM by Intel Corporation

Wi-Fi Direct testing.

Repeat%20Offender

I've never had the capability to do any home networking before and the Compute Stick is supposed to be able to perform several tasks using Wi-Fi Direct, so I tried testing some of the possibilities with my Compute Stick and wanted to discuss some of my successes and failures.

Miracast (Source)

This is supposed to be a subset of Wi-Fi Direct but miracast and other Wi-Fi direct connections seem to be disjoint in that connecting one way doesn't seem to directly enable you to use the properties of the other style of connection.

This test was pretty straightforward: On my Samsung 50HU6950 I navigated to Source->Screen Mirroring and then on the Compute Stick hit <WINDOWS>+K, then <TAB> to select my TV and <ENTER> to choose it. I give the keystroke sequence here because in some contexts it may be necessary to login blind. At this point, you can hit <WINDOWS>+P to bring up a menu of 2-monitor modes:

• Disconnect
      • Duplicate
      • Extend
      • Second Screen Only

The initial mode is Duplicate, so <DOWN><DOWN><ENTER> at this point would results in second screen only, which is the only mode that works if you started out blind.

Now we can hit <WINDOWS>+I to bring up Settings. If it's not in the screen we want, it's easiest to use aero snap to move the Settings windows from one monitor to another: <SHIFT>+<WINDOWS>+<RIGHT> or <SHIFT>+<WINDOWS>+<LEFT>. Again from Setting, select System->Display->Advanced display settings and select the monitor you want to adjust. Then Display adapter properties->List all modes and scroll to the mode you want, select OK, then Apply. If, on the sink display, I selected  a frame rate of > 30 Hz, the TV would go black and not come back, which is unusual because usually Windows gives you a chance to revert if something bad happens and you take no action within 15 seconds. So you might have to disconnect and reconnect if that happens to you.

I tried setting the sink display to 1920X1200 @ 30 Hz, started up Internet Explorer, moved it to the sink display, and played a YouTube video full screen @ 1440p. The video jumped occasionally. Then I tried setting the sink display to 1920X1080 @ 30 Hz and play a YouTube video full screen @ 1080p. Not so bad, but when I started another instance of Internet Explorer on the source display (Set to 1920X1080 @ 60 Hz) full screen @ 1080p, the sink display got all messed up while the source display video played smoothly. The sound would switch as it wished from one context to the other.

Also the keyboard and mouse were quite laggy on the sink display, enough so that it was almost unusable. So I hit <WINDOWS>+P again and selected Disconnect.

Miracast (Sink)

This one is rather awkward for me to test because my only available source requires physical removal of the video card and uninstalling the NVIDIA video drivers so that the Intel on board graphics can function as the miracast source. But it's simple enough from the Compute Stick (sink) side: just hit <WINDOWS>+K, then select Projecting to this PC and set Windows PCsand phones can project to this PC when you say it's OK to Always On and Require PIN for pairing to Off. Then the source device can discover the Compute Stick and project to it. When I did so I didn't have the presence of mind to play with the resolution, but YouTube videos seemed to play smoothly but with choppy, hence unusable, sound. Someone came by with a smart phone and I prevailed on him to test it as a miracast source. The Compute Stick sink still played YouTube video with choppy sound, so I guess the fault lies in the drivers on the Compute Stick

Bluetooth (Transfer files)

This isn't a Wi-Fi Direct feature of course, but I tried it as well and had nothing but problems. With the Compute Stick as the receiver, I right-clicked on the bluetooth icon in the system tray then selected Show bluetooth device->More bluetooth options->Allow bluetooth devices to find this PC, then OK.

On the desktop PC, I opened Windows Explorer with <WINDOWS>+E, navigated to the file I wanted to send right-clicked on it and selected Bluetooth Send File->Other Device and selected my Compute Stick. At this point bluetooth paring worked, but you have to be really fast because a notification comes up on both computers which times out in only a couple of seconds so if both computers are sharing the same monitor it times out before you can switch inputs. Then both devices want you to confirm that they've got the same code number and after you select Yes on both, they are paired. Unfortunately file transfer never happens and even getting as far as pairing usually doesn't happen. When something goes wrong you either have to wait for it to time out or reboot to reset bluetooth to some sort of unhung state. I hesitate to elaborate further on how injurious this was to my productivity as I might thus find myself banished to the Isle of the Popefigs.

The editor is getting slow so I think I'll break this post into two halves.

• 1. Re: Wi-Fi Direct testing.
          Repeat%20Offender

In the second half I'm going to try file sharing, printing, and video streaming via Wi-Fi Direct. First you have to connect and to do this you used to be able to type <WINDOWS>+X, then A to get to the Administrator Command Prompt, then enter the command

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=[HotspotName] key=[Password]

Where you would replace [HotspotName] with the name you want your computer to broadcast and [Password] with the password you want it to demand. Then the command

netsh wlan start hostednetwork

would start your network of one, provided your Wi-Fi was turned on and you weren't in airplane mode or anything like that. However it doesn't work now and the problem may be diagnosed via the command

netsh wlan show driver

And the problem shows in the output field

Hosted network supported  : No

In the good old days you could fix this by typing <WINDOWS>+X, then M to get to the Device Manager, the selecting Show hidden devices from the View menu, then expanding the Network Adapters tree then right-clicking on Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter and enabling it. But since roughly Windows 10 Anniversary Update the MHNVA isn't available at this step. If an ambitious young man wanted to know how to become a millionaire, I would tell him to go to Redmond and set up a little booth selling pitchforks and firebrands.

The workaround that is suggested is to get pre-WXAU Wi-Fi drivers and uninstall your current drivers and install the old ones. However, this means that you couldn't use new drivers that contain bug fixes for current Wi-Fi problems and Windows Update may want to blow up your old drivers anyway. I don't know why Intel couldn't just enable this useful capability in their new drivers or provide a little utility that let you set up a Wi-Fi Direct network of one. But I have another workaround.

Connecting with Wi-Fi Direct

First off we want to make sure we have all the right permissions. We want to share our USB printer, so plug it into the Compute Stick's USB port and turn it on. Hit <WINDOWS>+I to bring up Settings, then Devices->Printers and Scanners then select the printer you want to share and choose Manage->Printer Properties and on the Share tab, check Share this printer, then OK and close the Settings window.

Now we want to share some files so we set up a public directory for this purpose. Hit <WINDOWS>+E to start Windows Explorer, then navigate to C:\Users\[UserName], where [UserName] is your Windows user name and right-click in the right pane somewhere (not on a file or directory) and select New->Folder. Call the new folder Shared, the right-click on the Shared folder and select Properites and in the Sharing tab select Advanced Sharing. Check Share this folder, select Permissions and check the row at the intersection of Change and Allow. 3 OKs gets you back to Windows Explorer where again you might want to right-click and your Share folder and select Pin to Quick access. This way your public Share folder will appear on the first page of Windows Explorer along with your Pictures and Music folders and so on.

Now you might want to try hitting <WINDOWS>+A to bring up the Notification Center and check the Wi-Fi button to make sure that Wi-Fi is turned on and the Airplane Mode button to make sure it is turned off.

Then we can enable a Wi-Fi hotspot by hitting <WINDOWS>+I to bring up Settings, then Network and Internet->Mobile hotspot. Then switch Share my internet connections with other devices to ON and make sure that Share my internet connections from is set to Wi-Fi. Make note of your network name and password; you're going to need it the first time you connect to the Compute Stick.

We need a few permissions for this network, so click on Network and Sharing Center and select Change advanced sharing options. Under the Public profile, make sure that Turn on network discovery and Turn on file and printer sharing are both checked.The select Save Changes if you made any changes or Cancel if you didn't.

Now move over to the desktop PC that you wanted to share the Compute Stick with (obviously if you're using a smart phone or a mac you will have to figure out what to do on your own) and click on the network icon in the system tray. Hopefully you will see the network name you noted above. Then select that name and you probably want to uncheck Connect Automatically, but then select Connect.

Hopefully you will be connected. If this is the first time you have made this connection you will be prompted to enter the password you noted earlier. If connection fails close the connection and go back to your Compute Stick and turn your Mobile hotspot off and on and try again.

Printing over Wi-Fi Direct
          On the desktop PC hit <WINDOWS>+E to bring up Windows Explorer, navigate to Network and select the Compute Stick. Try clicking on the icon for the printer attached to the Compute Stick. I think it's here where you get prompted to install drivers if this is the first time you've printed with this topology: Windows can find them on the web automatically.
          Now start up some application on the desktop PC and print something the Compute Stick's printer. If all went well, it will print! This way an old USB printer can print over Wi-Fi Direct just like a Wi-Fi Direct-capable printer can. Of course it doesn't get discovered directly, only the Compute Stick but after the first time you set up a device to print like this Windows remembers most of the hard stuff so it's easy. There is another method where you can set up a printer profile that logs in to the Compute Stick over the internet so that linuxium for e.g. could print out a page on my Compute Stick, but you need to give out a password and IP address for that to work so it's a security problem.

File Sharing over Wi-Fi Direct
          On the desktop PC, hit <WINDOWS>+E, then <WINDOWS>+<LEFT> to snap Windows Explorer to the left half pane and again <WINDOWS>+E then <WINDOWS>+<RIGHT> to snap another instance to the right half.
          In the right pane, navigate to Network->[Your Compute Stick]->Shared.
          On the left pane, navigate to the directory on your desktop PC containing the file you want to transfer and drag and drop it into the Shared directory on the right. You can copy files both ways to your Shared directory, or even create, modify, or delete them. Copying was moving at better that 6 MB/sec for me.

Video streaming over Wi-Fi Direct
          Back on the desktop PC, create a public Shared directory much as you did on the Compute Stick. Copy a video into this directory, perhaps a *.mp4 file created by 4K Video Downloader | Free Download YouTube Video | 4K Download  from the reference video 160502 오마이걸(OH MY GIRL) 한 발짝 두 발짝 [골든위크 정기공연 K-Attraction] - YouTube .
          Move back to the Compute Stick, hit <WINDOWS>+E to open Windows Explorer and navigate to Network and the desktop PC. At this point it asks for a username and password. I don't know why the connection is asymmetric like this and don't know how to set up permissions to close this security hole.
          So give up your password and now that you're in, navigate (on the Compute Stick) further to the Shared directory (of the desktop PC) and right-click the video and select Open With...->Windows Media Player. Maximize the window and hit <F11> for full screen. Note that the video streams fine, even at 4K resolution at full screen over Wi-Fi Direct like this, something that definitely doesn't work at present with YouTube.

Now you can disconnect on the desktop PC by clicking on the network icon on the system tray, selecting the Compute Stick and then Disconnect. On the Compute Stick, go back and turn your Mobile Wi-Fi hotspot OFF.

I hope some readers may have found something of value in this post so as to make it easier for them to perform these tasks than it was for me the first time.
          If anyone has advice for getting over the problems I wasn't able to solve or sees some gaps or flaws in my presentation please post about it.

• 2. Re: Wi-Fi Direct testing.
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Thanks to Repeat%20Offender for sharing this information. This will be helpful to other peers with Wi-Fi issues using Intel® Compute stick.

Allan.