5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2017 11:00 AM by Intel Corporation

Remote syslog configuration

Blasi

I am working on a Intel Galileo gen 2 with yocto.

# uname -a

Linux galileo 3.8.7-yocto-standard #1 Thu May 12 08:17:14 PDT 2016 i586 GNU/Linux

I am coding in C and I have managed to send the logs to syslog with syslog.h.

syslog(LOG_INFO, "Message to publish");

I had to launch the syslog daemon manually with /sbin/syslog. I tried to use systemctl start syslog, but I had an error response. Messages are correctly being writen in the /var/log/messages file.

- Where is the syslog configuration file?

- How can I use a remot syslog repository? I have a remote syslog server where I want to send the information.

- How can I stop and start the daemon ina proper way?

Thanks,

Jordi

• 1. Re: Remote syslog configuration
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Jordi,

Thank you for contacting us.
          I looked for information about syslog in the Galileo. The syslog configuration file can be found in /etc/init.d/syslog. There are a couple of files of interest as well, such as the syslog-startup.conf and syslog-startup.conf.busybox-these can be found in /etc/.

In the Galileo eglibc image you can use systemctl to manage system services, what error did you see when using systemctl start syslog?

We’ll be waiting for your response.

-Sergio

• 2. Re: Remote syslog configuration
            Blasi

Hi Sergio,

I am not sure of whether syslog is correctly installed as I cannot find any of the files you point. As I said, I have the binary but not the configuration files. How can I reproduce them?

What I get when I run the command is this:

root@galileo:/etc/init.d# systemctl start syslog

Failed to start syslog.service: Unit syslog.service failed to load: No such file or directory.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Jordi

• 3. Re: Remote syslog configuration
              Intel Corporation

Hi Jordi,

Thanks for the clarification. We’ll do some research and contact you as soon as we have an update.

We appreciate your patience.

-Sergio

• 4. Re: Remote syslog configuration
                Intel Corporation

Hi Jordi,

Thank you for your patience. We’ve an update on this case. We’d like to know if you’re in a position to rebuild the image. There were some components in the image which gave us build failures. We're not sure whether those components are critical for you because our patch is just removing those items from the image. If that is the case we may have to replicate your environment and then suggest solutions. With this in mind, we’d like to get more information about the goals and needs of your project. If you can provide as much information as possible of your setup/configuration, it would be really helpful, that way we can find a solution that is of help to you.

-Sergio A

• 5. Re: Remote syslog configuration
                  Intel Corporation

Hi Jordi,

Do you still need assistance with this case? Please reply with the information we requested in our previous post. We’ll be waiting for your response.

-Sergio A