6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2017 4:29 PM by Intel Corporation

NUC6i7KYK Cooling PAD Idea?

E7ite

Hey there

My Skull Canyon gets really hot when playing games.

If i could buy Cooling pad (Something like laptop cooling pad), it may lower intel processor temperature?

Any1 did something like this?

• 1. Re: NUC6i7KYK Cooling PAD Idea?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello E7ite,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

What is the temperature you get?

What is the memory part number you have?

Do you have the latest BIOS drivers, you can download them here:
          Downloads for Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i7KYK

Is the unit overclock somehow? Please run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool
          The purpose of the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool is to verify the functionality of an Intel® Microprocessor. The diagnostic checks for brand identification, verifies the processor operating frequency, tests specific processor features, and performs a stress test on the processor.

I will appreciate if you could attach your system information, please follow the steps how to do it:

Intel SSU (System Support Utility) https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility
          Download Intel® System Support Utility

1. Download the utility
          2. Run the exe and select ‘Scan’
          3. Save and include as an attachment in the Intel Community Forum

DxDiag Instructions:
          1. Click on the “Start Menu” -> Type “DxDiag” -> Press “Enter” -> Wait for the DirectX Diagnostic Tool to finish loading
          2. In the DirectX Diagnostic Tool, click “Save All Information” -> Save the file DxDiag.txt
          3. Include DxDiag.txt as an attachment in the Intel Community Forum

Regards,

Ivan.
          • 2. Re: NUC6i7KYK Cooling PAD Idea?
            Intel Corporation

Hello ,

I'm following on this post to ask you if your issue has been resolved or if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Ivan.

• 3. Re: NUC6i7KYK Cooling PAD Idea?
              Binh

I have the exact same setup as the NUC6i7KYK unit is sitting on top of the cooling pad and it freeze every 4-6 hours.  It will help but not my case

• 4. Re: NUC6i7KYK Cooling PAD Idea?
                N.Scott.Pearson

Binh, your issue is not the result of overheating. As you have been told, your memory is incompatible.

...S

• 5. Re: NUC6i7KYK Cooling PAD Idea?
                  Mossy

I have same problem with my skull canyon.

I bought and set it up on June 2016. It was a great beautiful and powerful nuc at the beginning, But now many times (several times a week) during light loads it restarts (seemingly due to high temperature) or it does totally freeze and need manual shutdown.

Just like 14 month after the purchase, it runs super hot, CPU cores/RAM temperature is almost always above 70° even on very light load (CPU usage below 10%), and on medium loads easily reach 90°. I open just a browser  under windows 10 and the CPU/RAM Temp is above 70. The fan is also mostly noisy (On medium load, near 8000 RPM) . After a cold boot, on Bios, the CPU fan speed is normally below 4000RPM, and CPU/RAM Temp around 60°. But as far as windows 10 comes up, heating up starts.  Performed a Bios update, but not much help on heating issue.

The hardware config I have set up:

Mem card: (32GB total) Kingston Technology HyperX Impact 32GB Kit (2x16GB) 2133MHz DDR4 CL13 260-Pin SODIMM Laptop HX421S13IBK2/32

HDD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB - M.2 SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-N5E500BW)

I was so excited when this came out and bought it immediately as not much review was yet available and also bought it without a proper warranty. Now need to find a work around to have it working for some years. I would have think Intel had done some rigorous testings before publishing it, but seems many people have similar issue after some time.

Any advise/experience is welcomed.

• 6. Re: NUC6i7KYK Cooling PAD Idea?
                    Intel Corporation

Mossy, for us to further assist you and to help you with the specific problem, please create a new thread, make sure to add all the details in regard to your system. This way the next agent will have a better look at your specific scenario, you can add this thread as a reference but I recommend creating a new thread in order to isolate your case.

Regards,

Amy C.