5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2017 4:11 PM by Intel Corporation

How to enable Joule 570x in ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS 64-bit?

WalkingThrough

This question relates to the USB-serial port on the Joule 570x expansion board.  In the referenced URL, it's #2.

IoT - Overview of ports and connectors on the expansion board | Intel® Software

I know this port works: going into the boot configuration manager produces an echo on an attached putty session in a second computer.

But I have a use for that USB-serial port while Ubuntu is running.. and have run out of things to try.

I think it's /dev/ttyS2 .  I can open(2) the port.  But trying to get or set terminal params produces an "Input/output error".

putty fails with "can't open port".

minicom doesn't seem to know when to issue an error.

setserial -g /dev/ttyS[0-3]

reports four serial ports, all 16550A.

When I search using keywords "Joule 570x" "serial" all I see are "setting up" references... nothing about actually trying to use the port while running ubuntu.

Your time is appreciated.

Mark

• 1. Re: How to enable Joule 570x in ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS 64-bit?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your interest in the Intel® Joule Platform.

The micro USB port (number 2 according to the link you have posted) is for serial communication and debugging purposes, however, we’re not sure if you are having issues setting up the serial communication or if you want to use this port for another application. Could you please give us more details about what your issue is or what you want to achieve?  

Moreover, since you are using Ubuntu we would like to let you know that Ubuntu support is in charge of it and we’d suggest you to post your question there https://developer.ubuntu.com/core/get-started/intel-joule, since they can give you a more accurate answer.

Regards,
          -Yermi

• 2. Re: How to enable Joule 570x in ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS 64-bit?
            WalkingThrough

Hello Yermi -

The answer to your question is "Yes".  I want to set up the port and I want to use it for another application.  I mean.. it's there.  The FTDI device responds to being plugged into a host computer (in this case, a desktop PC), and there is already software in that environment that can log data from a VCP.

I've posted a question to the communities group at developer.ubuntu.com .  Will follow-up here if/when they respond.

I'm amenable to switching platforms for my effort; I'm fluent in both Windows and Linux environments.  Can you tell me if Windows 10 IoT can open COM3?

Your time is appreciated.

Mark

• 3. Re: How to enable Joule 570x in ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS 64-bit?
              Intel Corporation

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the information provided. I have found this information in the MRAA documentation regarding the Joule board that I believe you can find helpful. It mentions this “UART. Some pins are labelled as UARTs but are not configured in BIOS as UART so only available UART is on the FTDI header. Disable the getty on ttyS2 and use mraa's uart raw mode to initialize on ttyS2. The Jumper J8 can be used to switch between using the FTDI 6 pin header and the micro USB output.”

Moreover, we’d suggest you to wait for Ubuntu support team’s response, and in case you want to use Windows 10 IoT we’d recommend you to ask them here: Msdn forums – Windows IoT. The reason we refer you to Ubuntu or Windows 10 IoT support is because they are in charge of the support of these OSs, and we support the Reference Linux OS (Ostro).

Regards,
              -Yermi

• 4. Re: How to enable Joule 570x in ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS 64-bit?
                WalkingThrough

Hello Yermi -

Thank you for your time on this... greatly appreciated.  Lets see..

About the only "response" seen to my query on an "askubuntu" forum was someone editing my question.

Ostro is loaded into MMIC memory.  Will see about running my test code there.

mraa-gpio list  does not show a reference to UART2.  Perhaps no support for an internal debugging port?

Mark

• 5. Re: How to enable Joule 570x in ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS 64-bit?
                  Intel Corporation

Hi Mark,

Looking at the Mraa documentation, the UARTs mentioned in the pin mapping are UART0 and UART1, there is no mentioned UART2 as you have mentioned, and I believe that it is because the UART2 is not available through any of the breakouts (J12 and J13), also, it mentioned that the only available UART is on the FTDI header (the other ones are not configured in the BIOS as UART) and that the Jumper J8 can be used to switch between using FTDI 6 pin header and the micro USB, in the Intel® Joule™ Expansion Board Schematic page 14, you can find the FTDI 6 pin as J1 as well as the Jumper J8. I have only used this port as serial communication, however, you could try to use it in UART mode and let us know your results, it will help other users too.

Additionally, take a look at this issue reported regarding the UARTs Uart(0) and Uart(1), etc. are meaningless on Joule..., that I believe will be interesting.

Hope this information helps.

Regards,
                  -Yermi A.