1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 25, 2017 9:38 AM by Intel Corporation

Connectors to Edison

MarkInTO

Greetings:

I have an Edison Board here with the Arduino breakout. I've run the setup procedures, FLASHed the most recent firmware, set up the serial terminal and connected to my network through WiFi, so that's all good.

Now I have to swallow my pride and ask a very naive question.

There are 2 USB connectors to this board. The silk-screen labels are J3 and J16. What are they for?

I ask because it seems like nothing works unless they are BOTH connected and I'm wondering why. It makes sense to me that one of them is for, maybe, boot-strapping the operating system and uploading firmware upgrades. I would have thought that the other was simply a communication port that the operating system can use to connect to external devices when everything is up and running. For example, interacting with the Linux console using Putty or other COM application.

Ultimately, I am looking to simply write C/C++ code to my Edison to run on the Linux system. I would like to use Eclipse as I am familiar with it. I had assumed it would be simple matter of connecting through a USB cable and loading the right packages for Eclipse. Am I wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

• 1. Re: Connectors to Edison
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your interest in the Intel® Edison Platform.

The USB port (J16) is used for programming the board using the Arduino IDE, uploading the firmware, and powering the board (5v), moreover, the USB port (J3) is used to create a terminal connection by serial over USB. Additionally, you can power your board using the following methods: with an external DC power supply (recommended) plugged in the barrel connector (J1), using this method is not necessary plugged the USB (J16); the other method is power the board through the middle USB port (J16), in this method you have to plug both USB ports in order to work with the Linux console. Here you will find more details: Connectors on the Intel® Edison board

Regarding your other question, there are two approaches to write C/C++ code: using the Intel System Stidion IoT Edition (Eclipse), you will need to set a password to your Edison and connect it to WiFi because the Intel System Studio uses SSH to communicate with the board. Please take a look at this link for more details: Intel® System Studio IoT Edition User Guide for C/C++. The other way is through the console, you will have to copy the .cpp file and then use the GCC command in order to compile your code.

Hope you find this information helpful.

Regards,
          -Yermi