11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2017 11:41 AM by Intel Corporation

Curie Custom Board

fluiss

Hi all,

We have developed a custom board with the Curie module. Now, trying to flash it with the .BIN generated through Eclipse (and the Arduino 100 as development board) we are finding these problems:

1. USING USB (DFU): there is no problem when we first download the .BIN in the subsystem but when we try to the x86 part we get this error message: dfu:download: libusb.control_transfer returned -7 Error sending completion packet.
      2. USING JTAG: when trying to flash through Eclipse -to debug- it seems the flashing process is ok but it doesn't run the application when finished.

It seems the problem could be related to the memory map. For the Arduino 101 -using Zephyr- the physical load address for the x86 is 0x40010000.

The question is if the bootloader coming with the Curie modules we got for the custom boards have something different than the bootloader in the Arduino 101 (... points to other addresses or something like that??...).

And another question is for what reason there is that offset of 0x10000 at the start of the flash region 0.

I've read a lot and iin some places say that offset is for Zephyr OS, in others that is for Bootloader data,..... Also I read the comments in the forum about the bootloader, recovery flashpack, etc. It is all confusing. It would be great the steps to take when you have a custom board developed with the Curie.

Thank you very much in advance. Best regards,

fluiss

• 1. Re: Curie Custom Board
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello fluiss,

Thank you for interest in the Intel® Curie™ Boards.
          The Curie module comes with the same bootloader that is present in the Arduino 101. So that shouldn’t be causing the issue.

In order to find out why you are experiencing the error message, I’ll like to know which guide you are using to build your custom board. You may want to check out this thread https://communities.intel.com/thread/106344 where community member arunbharadwaj had the same issue.

Here is a list of the most useful guides for creating custom boards:
          •    Intel Curie Open Developer Kit (ODK) https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/674972
          •    Intel Curie Module Design Guide https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-curie-module-design-guide

I’ll be needing more time to find out the reason of the offset of 0x10000 at the start of the flash region 0. But as soon I have relevant information, I’ll post it here.

Thank you for your patience.

Regards,
          Andres

• 2. Re: Curie Custom Board
            fluiss

Hi Andrés,

We checked that thread but finally we solved the issue by following the instructions of the recovery firmware flashpack and now we can flash our board with DFU and, in Eclipse- flashing and start debugging.

The issue we have found now is that debug is working really slow and never reaches the main(). Pausing the debug, it seems the pointer is lost in the tasks preceding the main(). Maybe this is related to the debugging tool (Olimex).

So about the main issue, it seems something is different between the standalone Curie modules and the ones coming with the Arduino 101 because we didn't make something to brick the bootloader. It is just that it seems the first step is to flash the Curie with the recovery firmware fashpack tool. One important thing is that we are using the Zephyr OS too.

On the other hand, the Eclipse version provided by Intel should have an option to flash the ROM.

Thank you very much. I hope this one can help other people.

F.

• 3. Re: Curie Custom Board
              Intel Corporation

Hello fluiss,

I’m glad to hear that you could solve the flashing issue, thank you very much for sharing your experience with the community.

Regarding the debugging issue, I think you should try another debugging tool, and if you keep experiencing the issue, don’t hesitate to contact us.

Regards,
              Andres

• 4. Re: Curie Custom Board
                GGK

Hi,

I am trying to flash the bootloader on my curie board with arduino 101 bootloader.

I have created the Flashpack.zip using Arduino 101* Firmware Package 1.0 but when I am trying to flash using Intel Platform flash tool I am getting error.

Unable to load Flashpack.zip

Can you please help in fixing the issue

Regards,

Gopi

• 5. Re: Curie Custom Board
                  Intel Corporation

Hello GGK,

In order to provide adequate assistance, could you please tell which guide have you being using? And a brief description of the steps you are following to create and load the flashpack.

I’ll be waiting for your response.

Regards,
                  Andres

• 6. Re: Curie Custom Board
                    GGK

Hi Andres,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have used the firmware code from here. and followed the steps provided over there to get flashPack.zip.

I am using Intel platform flash tool to flash my curieCRB and when I tried to use this flashPack.zip then it is not accepting. Probably it looks like it doesnt have the files in required format(json scripts).When I try to browse for flashPack.zip and open it I am getting following failure.

CurieCRBFlashPackFail.jpg

Regards,

Gopi

• 7. Re: Curie Custom Board
                      Intel Corporation

Hello GGK,

Thanks for providing the information requested.

I noticed that the last ERROR messages are: Cannot unzip flash file “D:/flashpack.zip” and Failed to load D:\flashpack.zip. 

If you check the “Updating Arduino 101 Firmware – User Guide” https://downloadmirror.intel.com/25832/eng/Readme.pdf, section 2.5 “Flashing images to the board”, an extracted folder (not the .zip file) is used.

I’ll recommend you to try using the extracted folder with the Intel Platform Flash Tool Lite, and if the issue persists, follow the steps in the previous guide to manually flash the image to the board.

Regards,
                      Andres

• 8. Re: Curie Custom Board
                        Intel Corporation

Hello GGK,

I was wondering if you could try the suggestion provided.

Regards,
                        Andres

• 9. Re: Curie Custom Board
                          GGK

Hi Andres,

Sorry I missed out your previous reply.

I have extracted the zip and tried to use it but the Intel platform flash tool is not accepting it.

.I tried manual flashing but but when it asks for reset of hardware I tried t reset my captianCreek curie module but there is no progress from there...It got struck at "Reset  the board before proceeding"

Regards,

Gopi

• 10. Re: Curie Custom Board
                            Intel Corporation

Hello GGK,

Thank you for the information provided.

Have you checked and followed the suggestion in the Updating Arduino 101 Firmware – User Guide, section 1.1 (https://downloadmirror.intel.com/25832/eng/Readme.pdf):

This firmware is intended to be built only on 64 bit Ubuntu systems. If your native machine is not running a 64 bit Ubuntu operating system, you can still perform the firmware building process using an Ubuntu 14 64 bit OS in a virtual machine with 15GB of HDD space allocated. It is advised that you do not use a live USB or CD.
                            Doing so will result in some steps failing, as it would not be possible to download the required packages. If you have not configured the Arduino101 board yet, follow the steps in the link below before downloading the source code. Verify that you can successfully run a blink sketch to ensure the DFU is operating correctly.

This is important, as it will provide you with the platform to flash the binaries.

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Arduino101 

Regards,
                            Andres

• 11. Re: Curie Custom Board
                              Intel Corporation

Hello GGK,

I was wondering if you had the chance to try the suggestion provided.

Regards,
                              Andres V.