1 2 Previous Next 28 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2017 11:45 AM by Intel Corporation

Intel NUC6i7KYK random reboot into unsuccessful POST

SzakiTom

Hello,

my new NUC randomly shuts down and boots into this error:

BIOS has detected unsuccessful POST attempts(s).

Possible causes include recent changes to BIOS

Performance Options or recent hardware change.

Press 'Y' to enter Setup or 'N' to cancel and attempt

to boot with previous settings.

After pressing Y it boots and works.

It happens under heavy load and sometimes on idle so I don't really know what causes the problem.

Also while playing with Far Cry 3 it sometimes freezes but I can kill it in the task manager and the computer works so it might be just a software error.

I have the newest BIOS version 0042.

2x16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz RAM (tested here: http://www.cmtlabs.com/2012/memCertPartSearchResultsAll.asp?bNav=True&sManuf=Intel&outside=False&sMN=NUC6i7KYK&oSubmit=Search),

Samsung 850 EVO M.2 500GB SSD,

and a DELL P2416D monitor.

I have tried playing with the cooling settings but it didn't solve it.

I am going to test it with AIDA64 and already running memtest86 so far with no error.

Any more ideas what to test?

• 1. Re: Intel NUC6i7KYK random reboot into unsuccessful POST
          N.Scott.Pearson

First of all, seeing the "BIOS has detected unsuccessful POST attempt(s)..." display after the system has spontaneously reset like this is not unexpected. My gut is saying that the spontaneous resets are being generated by the recovery timer, as a result of lock-ups during DRAM access. Whether the issue is with the KY unit or with the SODIMM(s) in use is the question. Can you borrow other memory to see whether this alleviates the issue? If it doesn't, you will know the problem is in the KY unit itself and you can then proceed to contact Intel Customer Support to arrange a RMA replacement.

BTW, I have seen a known-bad DIMM pass even multi-day runs of MemTest86+, so having your DIMM(s) pass a similar test is no guarantee that there isn't something wrong with them. Only a test using other memory is going to truly point the furry finger in the right direction...

Hope this helps,

...S

• 2. Re: Intel NUC6i7KYK random reboot into unsuccessful POST
            SzakiTom

Thanks for the quick answer, I don't currently own any other DDR4 RAM, but maybe I will buy an 8GB version.

So my next question is If the NUC works with that RAM then I should be able to buy 32GB of the same kind and be sure that it will work or should I try to replace my existing RAM with something else?

Also which 32GB RAM works 100% sure with the NUC because I don't see that many 32GB options on the recommended list maybe CRUCIAL 16GB (CT16G4SFD8213)?

Could the issue be heat or power related?

Also I don't know if it is by design or not, but if I change between the cooling presets on the BIOS the values don't really change so it might really be some BIOS error?

(And if I remember correctly it didn't happen while I was using a 1920x1200 display, but I might have forgotten about it or some random write didn't happen to the RAM during the sort time I was using it.)

• 3. Re: Intel NUC6i7KYK random reboot into unsuccessful POST
              N.Scott.Pearson

I have two KY units running. Both are outfitted with Crucial RAM (16GB (CT2K8G4SFD8213) in one and 32GB (CT2K16G4SFD8213) in the other). I have never experienced the spontaneous reset issue.

There are a lot of discussions going on regarding this issue. Here's my analysis:

1. It is not a thermal issue. Folks having the issue - who I have asked to monitor temperatures - have indicated the the problem will still occur when system is idle and relatively cool.
              2. It could be a power issue. If system is near idle, you wouldn't think that there was enough of a draw to stress the power supply (PSU) -- but if the PSU was to suddenly (and perhaps only as a momentary glitch) stop delivering power, what might appear to be a reset could occur. If this is the cause, this can only be alleviated by replacing the entire unit (since the PSU is not separately replaceable).
              3. If a memory problem (bus lockup) were to occur, the system could spontaneously reset as a result of the watchdog timer ringing. Of course, the same could occur as a result a DMI or PCIe bus lockup. I was actually leaning towards it being the latter case early on, when everyone reporting the issue seemed to be using the Samsung 950 PRO SSDs, but there have been subsequent reports of this occurring with other brands of M.2 NVMe SSDs. I also pounced on it potentially being an NVMe (only) issue, only to see a report of it occurring with a M.2 SATA SSD (which doesn't make use the M.2 socket's PCIe x4 capability at all).
              4. Folks have replaced their memory - in at least one case to the same memory that I am using - and the problem has continued to occur. Of course, it doesn't have to be the memory itself that is the culprit; it could be the processor's memory controllers or the board's bus support circuitry that is responsible for the electrical noise that (typically) causes bus lockup - and this can only be alleviated by replacing the unit.
              5. Another possibility is a software bug. One occurring in a device driver could easily result in what appears to be a spontaneous reset. I have seen this occur previously; back in the Desktop Boards days, there was a buggy driver for certain add-in sound cards that caused (with symptom of sound stutter just prior to the reset. The Intel HD Graphics driver appears to have a lot of other issues; it could have a bearing on this.

Ok, it should be obvious that this is still very speculative. We really need Intel to step up and do the proper analysis for this issue -- and be forthcoming with regards to the cause...

...S

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Intel NUC6i7KYK random reboot into unsuccessful POST
                SzakiTom

Wow, thanks for the lengthy analysis, so I am pretty sure that the memory is the culprit so I will buy a 16GB CT2K8G4SFD8213 and check if that solves the problem.

If it does then I will buy an another 16GB stick (I know it's not optimal but it should work) at least that is the plan.

If it won't work then I will do a lot more tests and try to identify the problem.

Thanks again for your help.

• 5. Re: Intel NUC6i7KYK random reboot into unsuccessful POST
                  N.Scott.Pearson

Actually, these part numbers are for 2-DIMM kits...S

• 6. Re: Intel NUC6i7KYK random reboot into unsuccessful POST
                    SzakiTom

Sorry, you are right I wanted to write CT16G4SFD8213.

• 7. Re: Intel NUC6i7KYK random reboot into unsuccessful POST
                      Intel Corporation
                      This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello SzakiTom,

Please keep me posted as soon as you get the new RAM. As you mentioned, this could be related to a faulty RAM stick so testing more sticks will definitely help to track this down. One more thing, here you can check the tested memory for the NUC6i7KYK; System Memory for Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i7KYK 

N.Scott.Pearson thank you for your help. 

Regards,

Amy.

• 8. Re: Intel NUC6i7KYK random reboot into unsuccessful POST
                        SzakiTom

Hello,

I will definitely report back when the RAM arrives, also I know about the website and checked my current RAM before I bought it and it is not on the list (only the 16 GB version) but I have found it on the linked CMTL list, so that is the reason I have ordered them.

Now I have ordered the Crucial 32GB (CT2K16G4SFD8213) from amazon because I trust N.Scott.Pearson as I have seen him helping a lot of people here on the forum so I hope that the ones that he has will also work for me as well despite not being on the list (only the 8GB version is on it). So I believe that an update is needed for the list.

Also should I try to reinstall my BIOS, because when I change between the cooling presets the values don't really change?

• 9. Re: Intel NUC6i7KYK random reboot into unsuccessful POST
                          Intel Corporation

The values should change, it would be a good idea to try with a BIOS recovery. Make sure to save the change when exiting the configuration.

Regards,

Amy.

• 10. Re: Intel NUC6i7KYK random reboot into unsuccessful POST
                            Intel Corporation

SzakiTom, were you able to do the BIOS recovery?

Remember to keep me posted as soon as you get the new RAM

Regards,

Amy.

• 11. Re: Intel NUC6i7KYK random reboot into unsuccessful POST
                              SzakiTom

Yes, thanks for asking but now that I look at the options it might have been working before, but the changes are so little I didn't see them as different.

Also the new RAMs should be arriving this week, I will report back when I get them.

Here are the settings:

BALANCE.pngCOOL.pngQUIET.png

• 12. Re: Intel NUC6i7KYK random reboot into unsuccessful POST
                                N.Scott.Pearson

I personally don't like their presets. They increment the blower (it's not a fan!) speed too slowly and then jump to 100% very abruptly and very near the Tjmax limit. What I use is as follows. This ensures that the response stays linear and that there is headroom to protect against the Thermal Load Line being exceeded too often, using an approximation of the Tcontrol temperature implemented in the Desktop versions of this processor.

SETTINGS.bmp

If you want the minimum blower speed to be lower, you need to adjust the Minimum Temperature (and possibly Duty Cycle Increment) so that the Duty Cycle reaches 100% at ~83c.

If you want to use a Minimum Duty Cycle of 30%, set the Minimum Temperature to 60c. If you want to use a Minimum Duty Cycle of 25% (the lowest you should ever use, based upon recommendations from the blower manufacturers!), set the Minimum Temperature to 58c.

Alternatively, if you want to delay the response to increased heat and are willing to have the blower speed increase at a higher (and slightly more noticeable) rate, you could switch the Duty Cycle Increment to 4%. Then, for Minimum Duty Cycle values of 40, 30 and 25, the Minimum Temperature should be set to 68, 65 and 64, respectively.

Hope this helps,

...S

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: Intel NUC6i7KYK random reboot into unsuccessful POST
                                  SzakiTom

Thanks, I will try out your recommendations and see which one I like the best.

• 14. Re: Intel NUC6i7KYK random reboot into unsuccessful POST
                                    Intel Corporation

SzakiTom, let me know your results.

N.Scott.Pearson thank you that input.

Regards,

Amy.

1 2 Previous Next