10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2017 2:12 PM by Intel Corporation

STK1AW32SC - DEAD?

tgmorris9587

I have an STK1AW32SC that's been working fine for a period of a couple of months. It was downloading updates last night when I inadvertently turned off the WiFi instead of hitting Network Settings. Since I was connected to the compute stick remotely at the time this also killed my connection so I plugged it into my TV along with a USB keyboard and mouse but there was nothing. I reluctantly pressed and held the power button but that did nothing so I unplugged it and plugged it back in a bit later - still nothing. I've let it sit for extended periods and still nothing.

When I plug the stick in the blue light does come on steady but there's no other activity. I've tried multiple TV's with known good HDMI ports but nothing. The fan also does not seem to come on. I updated the BIOS when I received the stick back in November so that's current. Based on what I know and have read it seems like it's truly dead though I'm open to other ideas prior to swapping it for a working unit.

• 1. Re: STK1AW32SC - DEAD?
          Repeat%20Offender

I've got a smart TV that can reach a state where it won't accept input from any PC although it still works as a TV through its HDMI ports. The only thing I know that gets the TV out of that mode is to unplug it from power for a few minutes and re-plug it. So I would try that with a TV that your Compute Stick worked with before. Also different ports on the same TV can be almost like completely different TVs.

Also, after you connect your Compute Stick to TV, keyboard, mouse, and power brick for a couple of minutes and it just sits there with the blue LED on but no other obvious activity, press and hold the power button until the blue LED turns off. This should take about 4 seconds. Then release the power switch, then press and hold it for more than 3 seconds but less than 4 seconds. I try for 3.5 seconds, but less than 3 seconds is definitely no good. If you don't get the splash screen that says pairing bluetooth after a couple of seconds, and the same procedure doesn't work with any of your TVs, I would be inclined to give up on the Stick.

Oh, there's one other thing: also remove the SD card if any from the Stick and if possible disable the WiFi that it is connecting to by default before attempting to reboot it as in the above paragraph. Windows Update tries to trip you up sometimes if those paths are available to it.

• 2. Re: STK1AW32SC - DEAD?
            tgmorris9587

Thanks for the suggestions.

The TV input works fine (I've used it in the past with the stick) and I also verified with a 2nd set so that's not it.

Although the blue led comes on the fan does not so there's really no activity at all. There's also no response from a long press of the power button. That was the first clue something was seriously wrong as I couldn't turn it off that way either. I've already removed the SD card and the whole failure mode thing started when I turned off the WiFi while it was downloading an update. It seems like a big coincidence at this point but that may just be what it is since quite a few others have reported similar situations.

I'm going to reach out to Intel support on Monday to see what else to do. Failing that I can do a return to Amazon but they don't currently have any replacements in stock.

• 3. Re: STK1AW32SC - DEAD?
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello tgmorris9587,

Try a BIOS recovery from the Power Button Menu, see her for the instructions; Power Button Menu BIOS Update Instructions for Intel® Compute Stick.

Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Amy.

• 4. Re: STK1AW32SC - DEAD?
                tgmorris9587

I'll try again but it's somewhat unclear to me on.

So even if there's no activity (the fan's not running and no image on screen) and the blue light is on, which means the stick has power, I press and hold the power button for 3 seconds and the special boot menu should then come up. Is that correct?

I did try the trick of repeatedly trying to power it on for the intermittent boot scenario but after 20+ tries I gave up.

I do have a replacement on the way from Amazon already but if i can get this one running it will save a lot of configuration time.

ETA: Going on what I posted above I tried multiple time with no luck to get into the Power Button menu.

• 5. Re: STK1AW32SC - DEAD?
                  Intel Corporation

That is correct, you have to press and hold the power button down for 3 seconds then release it before the 4-second shutdown override. I apologize for the inconvenience.

The other recovery methods require the unit to boot up, since this is not the case; I am afraid that your unit might be defective. 

Let me know as soon as you get the new unit please.

Regards,

Amy.

• 6. Re: STK1AW32SC - DEAD?
                    tgmorris9587

I received my replacement from Amazon yesterday and will ship back the dead one tomorrow. Can't complain about the turnaround. Fortunately I was within the replacement period, by 10 days, and didn't have to deal with warranty repair.

Sadly, I did lose some data I had on the internal drive but nothing terribly important. I've been reinstalling applications and configuring the replacement unit and should be good to go tomorrow. Hopefully the new version won't suffer the same fate as it has a build date that was a couple of months newer and had the 0029 BIOS on it - which I've updated to 0032.

• 7. Re: STK1AW32SC - DEAD?
                      rayjncajun

I am having this same issue. I tried the "Power Button Menu BIOS Update Instructions for Intel® Compute Stick" instruction many times. There is no response from the unit. The blue light will come on indicating power, but that's it.

I bought my Compustick in September of 2016. Is this a known issue with these things failing? How do I get a replacement?

• 8. Re: STK1AW32SC - DEAD?
                        Intel Corporation

rayjncajun,

Please stay with your original thread; https://communities.intel.com/thread/113190

Regards,

Amy.

• 9. Re: STK1AW32SC - DEAD?
                          ken_nm

I'd like to chime in - I had a functional STK1AW32SC and was applying SCCHTAX5.86A - watching it and had no peripherals connected and during the main block flash portion the thing shut itself off - instant power down.  It will not boot and with a keyboard connected to attempt the power button recovery I see the keyboard lights resetting every 10 seconds or so.

Is there a jumper or other more extreme means to recover these

• 10. Re: STK1AW32SC - DEAD?
                            Intel Corporation

Hello ken_nm,

Thank you for joining the thread.

For us to further assist you and to help you with the specific problem, please create a new thread, make sure to add all the details in regard to your system. This way the next agent will have a better look at your specific scenario, you can add this thread as a reference but I recommend creating a new thread in order to isolate your case.

Regards,

Amy.