Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14615 Discussions

i7 4790K high temps on MSI Gaming 3 Z97 Motherboard Need help with the XTU.

SAhme13
Beginner

I have changed from an I5 4690k to an I7 4790k and having issue with the high temps when I am rendering or using stress test applications as the temps seems to be too high than normal at 70'c to 80'c

Before getting the i7 4790k, My i5 4690k was fine with temps but i cleared the CMOS before installing the i7 4790k

I would like to make this clear that I have reapplied thermal paste, reseated the Corsair h100i, cleared the cmos and updated to the latest BIOS but didn't solve anything.

I did have a look at this forum but I am not sure how to adjust the setting to match the correct BIOS setting of my MSI Gaming 3 Z97 Motherboard of the Intel specification.

Can someone please guide me how to apply the settings?

Thanks

Specs

Intel Core i7 4790K 4GHZ

Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4GB

Corsair Vengeance 1866MHZ 16GB RAM

Samsung Evo 500GB SSD

MSI Gaming 3 Z97

Corsair RM650x

Corsair H100i

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello slim95:

In regard to your inquiry, according to the specifications of the processor, inside the case could reach up to 74.04°C and that is normal, so based on that it seems the processor is working fine.

Now, if the processor is reaching 90 or 95 those are risky temperatures and in that case there might be a problem with the PC.

If the PC is getting freeze, throttling or if it goes off by itself, those are symptoms of overheating, if the PC is not doing that, then it should be working fine.

We do have a tool to test the processor, it does an overall test including the temperature test, here is the link to install it, is the Intel® Processor Diagnostics Tool, and if the processor passed the test it means it is working fine:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

About the question of how to get the proper BIOS settings, in order to get that information you just need to get in contact with MSI directly, since they are the manufacturer of the board they have all the details about the BIOS on it:

MSI's phone number: 1 626-271-1004

MSI's support site: https://us.msi.com/support https://us.msi.com/support

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello slim95:

I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you, and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

0 Kudos
SAhme13
Beginner

Hello

Sorry for the inactivity of this post I have ran the diagnostics tools and it passed all tests so cpu is fine and I am still waiting for MSI to get back to me regarding about the BIOS setting

Thanks for the troubleshooting and diagnostics

Slim

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello slim95:

You are welcome, no problem at all.

Perfect, they should be able to further assist you in regard to the BIOS settings.

Regards

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello slim95:

I just wanted to check if MSI was able to provide the information you were looking for about the BIOS and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards

Alberto

0 Kudos
SAhme13
Beginner

Hi there

I have received information from MSI and I have applied the settings needed for the CPU and motherboard. I believe that the CPU is fine without MSI settings but made no difference so I am going to leave it as it is.

As am used to my i5 4690k load temp under 70'c I believe i7s is a hot processor

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello slim95:

Thank you very much for letting us know those details.

We are sorry to hear that the MSI BIOS settings did not fixed the situation, we understand and respect your decision, even though it is reaching 70°C that is still expected, so as you mentioned we can say it is a hot processor.

Just in case, remember that the warranty on the processor with Intel is for 3 years.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate in contact us again.

Regards

Alberto

0 Kudos