12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2017 4:29 PM by Intel Corporation

Aero px4 firmware upload issues

eab

I am having a problem uploading the px4 firmware to the onboard flight controller on the Aero.

I am trying to run

make aerofc-v1_default upload

And I am getting the following message over and over again forever:

attempting to reboot on /dev/ttyS1...

if the board does not respond, unplug and re-plug the USB connector.

However, on the Aero there is no USB connector connecting the computer and the flight controller (since it's all one board).  I am connected to the Aero board via WiFi.

I have tried rebooting the board, reconnecting the WiFi, rerunning the make command. None of them work.

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Aero px4 firmware upload issues
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi eab,

Thanks for your interest in the Intel Aero Platform.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems uploading the PX4 firmware to the Aero board. Had you already followed this guide Quickstart Guide · intel-aero/meta-intel-aero Wiki · GitHub ? And if you did, where any errors presented during the installation?

I will be waiting for your reply, have a nice day!

Best Regards,
          -Jose.

• 2. Re: Aero px4 firmware upload issues
            eab

Hi Jose.

Yes, I followed that guide, except instead of building the Yocto environment from source I downloaded the latest version from the Intel download center here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26500/UAV-installation-files-for-Intel-Aero-Platform?v=t

I started building from source, but I have pretty limited processing power on my current laptop (new desktop on the way!) and it was taking forever to build.  Then I found the Intel download center so I decided to go with that instead.

I successfully put it onto a flash drive and loaded it into the board. I can boot with an HDMI cable and get into the shell environment.  All the other steps worked fine until updating the flight control firmware.  No errors in the process.

In the past, I have used both PixHawk and PixRacer with an Odroid companion computer. In those cases, unplugging and re-plugging the USB was occasionally necessary to get the two to cooperate.  There's just no way to do that here.

• 3. Re: Aero px4 firmware upload issues
              Intel Corporation

Hi eab,

Just to be clear with your issue, so when you get to the section "Updating the FPGA Firmware" and try the commands:

* root@intel-aero:~# cd /etc
              * root@intel-aero:~# jam -aprogram aero_RTF_kit_fpga.jam

You got no errors right?

I will like to know what happen when you use the commands for the section "Updating the Dronecode PX4 firmware for the Intel Aero Ready To Fly Drone":

root@intel-aero:~# cd /etc/px4-fw
              root@intel-aero:~# aerofc_update.sh nuttx-aerofc-v1-default.px4

Did you also get no errors??

I have one more question, are you following this guide: https://dev.px4.io/hardware-intel-aero.html . And if you did, what command did you use for the step two: Grab the Firmware.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
              -Jose.

• 4. Re: Aero px4 firmware upload issues
                eab

Yes, I updated the firmware and got no errors.  The last line is "Exit code = 0... Success".

I then tried to update the Dronecode firmware using the commands you mentioned.

It says "WARNING: You should uninstall ModemManager as it conflicts with any non-modem serial device (like Pixhawk)"

However, I cannot figure out how to uninstall it. On a laptop I would just use apt-get remove, but the Aero doesn't seem to have apt-get.

After the warning, it says "Loaded firmware for 41,0, size: 830904 bytes, waiting for the bootloader..."

And then it repeats for all time:

"If the board does not respond, unplug and re-plug the USB connector.

attempting reboot on /dev/ttyS1..."

When I hit ctrl-C to kill it, it says:

"Upload aborted by user.

(../git/comm.cpp:333) Open 192.168.1.255:14550

(../git/comm.cpp:333) Open 192.168.7.255:14550 "

In following that tutorial, I did a git clone of the Firmware repository on my laptop for the "Grab the Firmware" step. Running the make aerofc-v1_default command on my laptop gives no errors, and then running make aerofc-v1_default upload on the laptop while connected to the Aero's wifi gives the following results:

The build works with no errors.

It says "Copying files to Aero board (root@intel-aero.local)...

px_uploader.py    ... progress bar gets to 100%

Linux intel-aero 4.4.3-yocto-standard #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Dec 16 18:13:41 CLST 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux ... progress bar gets to 100%

BIOS_VERSION = Aero-01.00.03

OS_VERSION = v01.00.04

AIRMAP_VERSION = 1.8

FPGA_VERSION = 0xff 0xff

Updating firmware on AeroFC

Then it gives me the same warning for ModemManager (even though I have uninstalled it from my laptop, I guess it's still on the Aero board).

And then after a few seconds I get the same "unplug, re-plug" thing over and over again.

So my thought is maybe the ModemManager is the issue. Any ideas on how to uninstall it from the Aero board?

I tried:

• sudo apt-get remove modemmanager
                  • result: sudo: apt-get: command not found
                • sudo mv /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/org.freedesktop.ModemManager.service /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/org.freedesktop.ModemManager.service.disabled
                  • result: the file changed names but nothing changed about my output
                • systemctl | grep Modem   # (may show ModemManger.service)
                  • with the intention to run after: systemctl [stop|start|enable|disable] ModemManager.service
                  • result: sh: systemctl: command not found

Let me know your thoughts.

• 5. Re: Aero px4 firmware upload issues
                  eab

I actually noticed in reading my last message to you that it says BIOS_VERSION = Aero-01.00.03.  This may be a problem, since the most current version is Aerio-01.00.12.  I did not get any errors when originally updating the BIOS, but now I went back through the tutorial again (Quickstart Guide · intel-aero/meta-intel-aero Wiki · GitHub) and I can't re-install it on the board.  I run the install command and it says that it is already installed, but when I try to remove it it says that it is not installed.

sh-4.3# rpm -ivh capsule-01.00.12-r0.core2_64.rpm

error: Install/Erase prblems:

package capsule-01.00.12-r0.core2_64.rpm already installed

sh-4.3# rpm -e capsule-01.00.12-r0.core2_64.rpm

error: package capsule-01.00.12-r0.core2_64.rpm is not installed

Do I need to do anything on the laptop end to update the BIOS?  Why would it use v03 instead of v12 if I had already installed it? How to I check the BIOS version that is currently on the machine?

• 6. Re: Aero px4 firmware upload issues
                    Intel Corporation

Hi eab,

Can you try using opkg instead of sudo apt-get? Please let me know your results.

I will be waiting for your reply, have a nice day!

Best Regards,
                    -Jose.

• 7. Re: Aero px4 firmware upload issues
                      eab

I was not able to get opkg to work.  I tried opkg remove ModemManager, and it just says "No packages removed."  I also tried every version of capitalizing and underscoring I could think of, with the same results.  When I try using tab-complete, nothing comes up with either an "m" or "M" typed.  When I try using tab complete with just opkg remove in the terminal, I get a list of just everything in my current directory (similar results of what ls -a gives).

• 8. Re: Aero px4 firmware upload issues
                        Intel Corporation

Hi eab,

Is really strange that you can't Update your BIOS, I think that you should flash again your image and then do the Update of your BIOS to see if you can work with v12.

Please let me know your results, have a nice day!

Best Regards,
                        -Jose.

• 9. Re: Aero px4 firmware upload issues
                          eab

I have flashed the image again and did the Update BIOS steps. Again, it all appears good when I do it. All the messages shop up just like in the instructions. But when I go to upload the firmware from my laptop it thinks that is is running v03. Is there a way within the Aero to ask it the BIOS version?  The only place I see the version is when I try to upload the firmware from my laptop.

Some other thing's I've tired that haven't worked:

• I loaded the previous ISO image (v03) and the BIOS version that was released with it (v11) just to make sure that it isn't a new bug from the latest release. This did not fix the issue.
                          • I loaded the latest ISO again (v04) and the latest BIOS (v12). As mentioned above, same issue as before.
                          • I logged in with SSH over a USB cable and followed the instructions that way. Same results as wifi.

This may be a silly question, but there is a built in flight controller on the Intel Aero Compute Board, right? I have just the compute board, not the "ready to fly" kit.  Is the board itself the same as in the kit, or is there an external flight controller required.  I saw an old post from a previous version that had an external AscTec Trinity flight controller, but my colleague says that Intel bought AscTec and incorporated it into the board itself. Is this true? Where on the physical board is the flight controller?

• 10. Re: Aero px4 firmware upload issues
                            Intel Corporation

Hi eab,

The Aero board doesn't have a flight controller incorporated, the idea is to use it together with one. This is the reason why you are having this errors.

In case you acquire a external flight controller, I think that this guide will be useful to you Connecting a Pixhawk Flight Controller to the Intel® Aero™ Compute Board .

Best Regards,
                            -Jose.

• 11. Re: Aero px4 firmware upload issues
                              eab

OK that is interesting. I misunderstood the purpose of the board then.  It is strictly a companion computer. This would replace something like Odroid or Raspberry Pi that people have used with Pixhawk in the past.

Two questions then:

1. Does Intel sell a flight controller to go with the Aero board, or are we expected to use something like Pixhawk?

2. Are there any sensors on board the Aero such as barometer, accelerometer, magnetometer, etc.?

Thanks for your help.

• 12. Re: Aero px4 firmware upload issues
                                Intel Corporation

Hi eab,

I will address your concerns in order:

1) Intel sells the Intel® Aero Ready to Fly Drone, it includes a flight controller among other things, for more information, please follow this link: Intel® Aero Ready to Fly Drone | Intel® Software .

2) The Aero board has an on-board IMU, Compass and barometer. For more information, please follow this link: Onboard Sensors · intel-aero/meta-intel-aero Wiki · GitHub .

Hope you find this information useful, have a nice day!

Best Regards,
                                -Jose.