4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2017 12:55 PM by Intel Corporation

RFID w/Edison Breakout board

Ralph_H

Hello all, I have been trying to find RFID reader modules that wouldnt require any Logic Level Shifter circuitry, and was wondering if anyone has had any success with a module on the Edison without any intermediary circuitry (Short of connecting pins)?

Thanks

• 1. Re: RFID w/Edison Breakout board
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Ralph_H,

Thank you for contacting us.

I found a couple of good examples of devices that use RFID in the Edison Shield Testing Report. The Sections of interest are Section 3 and Section 35.
          You can find the guide here http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000020775.html .

Let us know if this was useful.

-Sergio

• 2. Re: RFID w/Edison Breakout board
            Ralph_H

Hello Sergio, thank you for taking the time to respond to my question. I was actually coming to edit my post because I realized that it was not specific enough. I am using the breakout board kit, and the article says it applies to the Edison Arduino kit. I appreciate it all the same.

I am looking to find a Low Frequency RFID reader (or module) that has a VVDIO pin and would not increase the footprint of the Edison module with the breakout board. I realize I will likely have to increase the current running to the RFID reader/module, but am trying to minimize the additional circuitry as much as possible.

I am currently considering the ID-Innovations ID-3LA reader, which can operate at 2.8V. A diagram in its datasheet makes it appear as though its Output_High is 2V, but reading the Maximum Specifications leads me to think its minimum is 2.1V. It states the maximum IO voltage is Vcc +/- .7V, which would be 2.8 - .7 = 2.1V (I know we can all do the math, just wrote it out for simplicity)

I know the Edison breakout board has 1.8V IO pins, would I be risking damage to the Edison at 2.1V? I don't see any specifications regarding the IO logic range. I have only been able to determine that 1.8V is what is considered HIGH. Is this a max, a min, or is there no range and it just has to be 1.8V?

Please excuse me if I am asking questions that have obvious answers. I am new to this and am trying to accelerate my learning curve.

Thanks to any and all who help me with this.

- Ralph

• 3. Re: RFID w/Edison Breakout board
              Intel Corporation

Hi Ralph,

Thank you for the detailed description. We’ll try to help guide you as best we can. With the clarification of you using the mini breakout board then the suggestions from the Shield testing report won’t be so helpful, so it’d be best to look at other options. I haven’t used the reader you linked but it looks like a very interesting device and it should work well with the Edison taking into account some considerations, such as the calculations you made to know if it’ll work on your project.

I looked at the community and didn’t find too many threads of other users using RFID readers. From the ones I found, the most used is the MFRC522 RFID. You can consider this an another option but remember that only the modules in the Shield testing report have been tested to work with the Edison.

Regarding the information of the IOs of the Edison-I looked at the module’s datasheet and all I found was that the Edison’s IO uses 1.8V signaling, as you previously mentioned. If no range is specified, it’d be better not to use other values outside of the recommended ones.

I hope you find this helpful.

-Sergio

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: RFID w/Edison Breakout board
                Intel Corporation

Hi Ralph,

We were wondering if you had a chance to look at the information from our previous reply. Please let us know if there’s anything else we can help you with.

-Sergio